FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question: Why is there more upgrade space on YWG-YVR flight vs YOW-YWG fligtht - Feb 11.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:49 am
FlyerGoldII

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Hmm.. YOW-YWG and YWG-YVR are two completely different markets (in terms of demand, type of pax, fare types pax usually purchase); so one cannot just make assumptions like the OP. Otherwise, we'll just need 1 route controller to manage our entire system?
My point being, that taking account the Olympics tomorrow - the YWG-YVR flight would have a higher demand for the business class cabin, compared to the YOW-YWG flight. I believe I am right - the YWG-YVR is all zeroed out in terms of business class (as of 1 minute ago); the YOW-YWG flight shows J2C1D1Z1R1 as of 1 minute ago.

Perhaps, the second flight usually tends to have a lower demand for business class seats than the first flight - as you have implied above. However, as tomorrow is the first day of the Olympics, I am not suprised that the incoming flight to YVR would have all business class seats all taken - by people with revenue or upgraded tickets (and perhaps award tickets as well).

But I guess that you are saying that a different route controller likely managed each of the 2 flights; it was each's call as to how to individually assign "R" space - perhaps if one route controller had dealt with both flights, the "R" space would have been assigned differently.