Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Kenya Safari ex Nairobi / NBO (short-long, etc.)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kenya Safari ex Nairobi / NBO (short-long, etc.)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2014, 12:18 pm

OP here. I ended up booking with Gamewatchers, 7 days, 6 nights. Looking forward to it!
Old May 18, 2014, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
When you guys say that hotels offer storage for luggage, you're referring to hotels in Nairobi (or other main airport city)? So you fly in, stay a night, and they'll hold your luggage for 3-7 days while you're on safari so that you can pick it up on the way back?

I haven't planned out the details, but it looks like I'm going to do a 5-6 day road safari. I fly into NBO on 7/24 in the VERY early morning and will probably be jet-lagged. I fly out of CPT on 8/5 in the early evening. I want to spend most of my time in East Africa on safari or similar, and only a few days in Cape Town, where I really have one goal, and that's to see white sharks. I figure I'll rest all of 7/24, and start safari on 7/25 for 5-7 days, returning to Nairobi on 7/29-7/31, and fly to Cape Town on 8/1-8/2 (haven't set up this flight yet). I think 3 days should be enough for white shark cage diving, but I want a few back-up days in case weather isn't great on any particular day, especially since this will be their winter.
Me and my friend are landing on 7/25 and heading to basecamp masai mara for 3 nights and then eagle point for a night before heading to Zanzibar for 2 nights. Who did you book your safari with?

Maybe we will cross paths.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:58 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Luggage... what about cameras?

33 pound weight limit for luggage on Safari? I thought I saw it listed as 20kg for the company we're using (I'll check to make sure).

But what about camera equipment? Yikes, that can add up fast! If I've got 12 pounds of camera equipment, that leaves 21 pounds for everything else?

Another question. If keeping luggage so light, why are people checking baggage? I read many reports of delayed bags (not too many lost, thankfully) and how long it takes for them to arrive at the carousel. Why?

Just curious. Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
All internal safari flights only allow 15kg per person inc. your hand luggage. Remember that you can get laundry done at camps.

People check in luggage maybe for the reason of liquids, or sharp objects. Also Internatonal airlines won't let you carry 15kg of hand luggage.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

If you are altruistically inclined, you can simply bring items that you intend to leave. I tend to leave my "extras" with the hotel cleaning ladies, but there are always churches, hospitals, libraries or schools that could distribute a donation for you. Then you could start heavy, but actually lighten your load as you go along.

I tend to only pack a carry on, but like to shop as I travel. On my trip, my friend and I brought 2 suitcases each of checked bags, which were stuffed full of things that we brought just to donate... backpacks, infant clothes, kids shoes, medical books, socks, children's books, learning aids for grade schoolers, etc. We gave about half of it to the Graskop librarian, then our hosts and cleaning ladies at the next stops got the rest. We filled our newly empty suitcases with goodies we bought on the trip, as well as the misc. stuff that we didn't need as time went on. As the trip progressed and the stuff we donated was given away, we filled one of our two checked bags, and put the empty suitcase inside the other, so we still only hauled 1 carry on and 1 checked bag.

I got the idea from www.packforapurpose.org . Many of the places I visit are very poor, and school supplies and text books are even hard to come by.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:54 pm

I have the same package reserved for August this year - same price too! It is visiting Mara and Amboseli. I've heard a lot of good things about Gamewatchers. Can you share your experience? Any tips?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by MMinAustin
I have the same package reserved for August this year - same price too! It is visiting Mara and Amboseli. I've heard a lot of good things about Gamewatchers. Can you share your experience? Any tips?
Which package are you doing? My wife and I roughed it a bit and did the "adventure package" (something like that). We slept in real tents with no beds. We're not typically the outdoorsy type so things were a little strange at first, but it ended up being the best trip of both of our lives.

Things went extremely smoothly, with no real hiccups at all. The weather was great, though it can be chilly at night and in the early morning. Make sure you have layers. It never got hot, but the sun can be harsh if you don't have shade. I read a lot about what to wear and what to avoid wearing, and honestly, I think a lot of that really didn't matter. We didn't see anyone wearing bright pink sweaters, but I don't think you have to spend a fortune buying the Crocodile Hunter's wardrobe. I brought lots of bug wipes, but we saw zero mosquitoes. Having said that, probably not a bad idea to take anti-malarials just in case.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
While the Maasai / Masai Mara is a very good place to view a variety of wildlife Lake Nakuru has some very interesting species.
I should like to put in a word for Meru National Park. Off the main circuit, so not very busy, and also offers interesting species, e.g. Grevy's zebra and Vulturine Guineafowl.

Elsa's Kopje is the place to stay.

Regards,

Johan
Old Jan 24, 2015, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Which package are you doing? My wife and I roughed it a bit and did the "adventure package" (something like that). We slept in real tents with no beds. We're not typically the outdoorsy type so things were a little strange at first, but it ended up being the best trip of both of our lives.

Things went extremely smoothly, with no real hiccups at all. The weather was great, though it can be chilly at night and in the early morning. Make sure you have layers. It never got hot, but the sun can be harsh if you don't have shade. I read a lot about what to wear and what to avoid wearing, and honestly, I think a lot of that really didn't matter. We didn't see anyone wearing bright pink sweaters, but I don't think you have to spend a fortune buying the Crocodile Hunter's wardrobe. I brought lots of bug wipes, but we saw zero mosquitoes. Having said that, probably not a bad idea to take anti-malarials just in case.

We picked the adventure package as well. We have been camping before so I don't think it will be a problem.

Were you able see any of the migration? River crossings in the Mara? I don't have a fancy camera but plan on getting a bridge camera. Any advice? Also, thinking of adding a day to the Mara to see more migration or at least increase odds of seeing it. The cost is $300 pp which is quite a lot for my budget but I have no idea how much time I need to spend in Mara to see what I want. I'm sure I could spend several weeks if budget allowed but with the cost being an extra $600 I'm reluctant.

We will be there during the first 2 weeks in August. Very excited!
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by MMinAustin
We picked the adventure package as well. We have been camping before so I don't think it will be a problem.

Were you able see any of the migration? River crossings in the Mara? I don't have a fancy camera but plan on getting a bridge camera. Any advice? Also, thinking of adding a day to the Mara to see more migration or at least increase odds of seeing it. The cost is $300 pp which is quite a lot for my budget but I have no idea how much time I need to spend in Mara to see what I want. I'm sure I could spend several weeks if budget allowed but with the cost being an extra $600 I'm reluctant.

We will be there during the first 2 weeks in August. Very excited!
We were there at the time of the great migration. With the package we had, we went to the Mara main park 1 full day and spent most of the other days in the conservancy. Chasing the animals along the river took a whole day. We saw tens (or hundreds) of thousands of them at river's edge, but they didn't cross. Some of them took a few steps into the water, but they were too afraid to cross. We waited for hours, but they ended up turning around and leaving. I also inquired about adding an additional day in the Mara, but passed on it. I remember hearing that an extra day would be $100, not $300, but perhaps my memory failed me.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Will be in Kenya in mid-July. Looking for a 2 day safari to Amboseli National Park. but I don't want to stay in a tent. Ol Tukai seems to get excellent reviews, but of the 2 booking agencies I have found on Trip Advisor, one is extremely expensive ($690 for lodging alone) and the other only does tents. Any help for tour companies? Thanks.
Old May 4, 2018, 6:31 pm

Euslaner-I stayed last summer at Tortillis Camp, which is permanent tents. I loved it. For a non-tent option, maybe look into the Serena Lodge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.