FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kenya Safari ex Nairobi / NBO (short-long, etc.)
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:11 pm
DaveInLA

Originally Posted by MMinAustin
We picked the adventure package as well. We have been camping before so I don't think it will be a problem.

Were you able see any of the migration? River crossings in the Mara? I don't have a fancy camera but plan on getting a bridge camera. Any advice? Also, thinking of adding a day to the Mara to see more migration or at least increase odds of seeing it. The cost is $300 pp which is quite a lot for my budget but I have no idea how much time I need to spend in Mara to see what I want. I'm sure I could spend several weeks if budget allowed but with the cost being an extra $600 I'm reluctant.

We will be there during the first 2 weeks in August. Very excited!
We were there at the time of the great migration. With the package we had, we went to the Mara main park 1 full day and spent most of the other days in the conservancy. Chasing the animals along the river took a whole day. We saw tens (or hundreds) of thousands of them at river's edge, but they didn't cross. Some of them took a few steps into the water, but they were too afraid to cross. We waited for hours, but they ended up turning around and leaving. I also inquired about adding an additional day in the Mara, but passed on it. I remember hearing that an extra day would be $100, not $300, but perhaps my memory failed me.