Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Africa > Africa
Reload this Page >

Kenya Safari ex Nairobi / NBO (short-long, etc.)

Old May 10, 2009, 6:37 am
Original Poster

My girlfriend and I will be in Kenya this summer. Anyone have any recomendations for safari companies in Kenya? We will be in Nairobi and then plan to head to Lamu.

Thanks
Old May 12, 2009, 11:25 pm

Programs: QR Platinum, TK Elite
Hi

There are many travel agents in Kenya. I use a company called Travel Wild. You could contact Anjie on [email protected].

Where are you planning to stay in Lamu? I would suggest Kipungani (Heritage Hotels).

Let us know what your plans are for the safari, and when.
Old May 14, 2009, 8:32 am
Original Poster

I estimate arriving in Nairobi August 4 5 or 6th. We are still very much in the planning stages. want to do approx 4 or 5 day safari and we are looking to keep costs down in general. my preliminary research has suprised me- 400 dollars a day per person seems outrageous. It makes Tokyo look like a bargain.
Old May 14, 2009, 8:35 am
Original Poster

also, i have read that its better to book when you get there to get a better deal. I am wondering if the recent economic downturn will be in our favor...it seems like everywhere else prices are being slashed. I am hoping thats true in Kenya- anyone have any experience or an opinion?
Old May 15, 2009, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Kipungani (Heritage Hotels) quoted me a rate of $295 per person....which is WAY beyond what I am willing to spend.
Old May 15, 2009, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Kipungani (Heritage Hotels) quoted me a rate of $295 per person....which is WAY beyond what I am willing to spend.
Old May 17, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I have had good luck with Neo Destinations (www.neodestinations.com). This is a local operator and does not outsource in Kenya, so you are cutting off all middlemen who would take commission. We also had Tanzania included in our tour and the same driver from Kenya was able to drive us in Tanzania.
Old May 19, 2009, 8:32 am

Have 2 days near NBO in a week - best place to see migration?

Hey folks,

I've got two days near NBO (May 31st/June 1st), what's the best location to see the migration? My current understanding is that it's roughly in the region of the Seronera, but was wondering if anyone had any more particular (or other) suggestions in that area?

I've been to Kenya a few times before, so my primary goal on this tiny sidetrip is to see the migration.

Thanks!

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 17, 2015 at 12:19 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old May 20, 2009, 9:08 am

The migration will still be in Tanzania, and would not be expected into Kenya's Masai Mara until July/August. You may have to look into flying to Tanzania's Serengetti.
Old Jun 16, 2009, 9:47 am

I ended up booking with Serengeti under Canvas, which basically follows the migration. Pretty cool and much more impressive accomadations-wise than I expected.

http://www.andbeyondafrica.com/luxur...yond_serengeti
Old Jun 24, 2009, 1:25 am

How did you trip go?
Old Jun 27, 2009, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Lodge for 3 days out of NBO in MAY

Hi all,

I have searched for answers but did not find any.

Next year I will have a 3 day transit in NBO in May. Now I know this is the rainy season but I assume there is still a lot to see and do. I arrive in the evening (9PM) and leave in the evening too (23:40PM) so I guess a very long drive to a lodge is out of the question.

Is there anything (or any tour) worth doing from NBO given the circumstances? If you know a good lodge that does give you that 'real African experience' not too far from NBO please tell me.

I travel alone and that greatly influence the price of safaris for instance. I am looking to spend around $250 per day max. If you have something really fantastic I can add a couple of days to my trip.

All suggestions appreciated!

Henk

Last edited by henkybaby; Jun 27, 2009 at 7:19 am
Old Jun 27, 2009, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Suggestion for a 3 to 5 day stop in NBO

Hi guys,

I know we have an Africa forum and I placed my request there too. However traffic seems to be very high here in the BA forum so I am hedging my bets. Beside I fly in and out on BA...

Looking for a 3 to 5 day safari or lodge experience out of NBO in May (rainy season) 2010. I can either stay in Nairobi itself for 2 or 3 days, go to a lodge somewhere or take a mini safari.

Since this is at the end of a 6 month sabbatical I am looking for a maximum price tag around the $1200 mark for the entire thing (including transport). I can find the really nice hotels for $400 a night by myself.

Any suggestions? I am lost as far as this part of the world is concerned.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Elsa's Kopje is a personal favorite, although you would have to fly in and out, and their daily rate will exceed your budget (unless they happen to over a green season special next May).

Johan
Old Jun 27, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA, VS, LH, HHonors
How about Governor's Camp in the Masai Mara.

5* service and dining, can't rate it enough. 3 game viewings each day.

Short flight from NBO

If you get the chance, however, I'd strongly reccommend visiting Tanzania, in particular the Ngorogoro Crater. This really is something worth seeing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.