Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

New product to be launched ''Aer Space'' UK and European routes.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New product to be launched ''Aer Space'' UK and European routes.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ROKNA
There is one interesting thing

What if the aircraft is full, how do upgrades work?
Presumably the same way that any other European airline with a variable-sized "business" cabin handles op-ups - bump some lucky individual(s) upwards at the gate if necessary, either on the basis of status, fare paid, or convenience.

Though without an actual curtain (or is there a curtain or some other "obvious" differentiator between Aer Space and Economy?) they could potentially shrink "Aer Space" to just one row of 3 seats as necessary, so there is not the same requirement, as in cabins with a curtain, to have each entire row in "Business" or "Economy".
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Well the C reg A320's did have a curtain once and it was installed again for the Papal flights last year

Aer Space is limited to row 1 only, will there be an antimacassar?

When the A321 LR starts flying EU flights the real upgrade fun will begin
Old Sep 2, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by heggers03

Flew AerSpace this morning, pretty incredible it took four years to roll a product as basic as this out, not a bad economy plus product but not to sure I’d pay much of a premium over normal economy for it.
could you please give a description of what you experienced, the above is very unhelpful
Was a curtain pulled
Was it pick from the bia menu
Was there a limit to this
Were there any alcoholic drinks,was there a limit
was the middle seat actually free
How many rows?

Did you get a hot towel
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, BA
Originally Posted by Earthman
could you please give a description of what you experienced, the above is very unhelpful
Not quite trying to be unhelpful but there is little to feedback on. Essentially you get:
  • lounge access
  • free seat section (row 1)
  • 20KG checkin bag
  • middle seat free
  • free food/drink selection from BIA menu

Was a curtain pulled - No curtain, it is only row 1
Was it pick from the bia menu - Yes
Was there a limit to this - do not know, it was 8.30am so I just had the hot breakfast which would be 10 euro normally
Were there any alcoholic drinks,was there a limit - I'm sure alcoholic drinks are included, 8.30am flight so was not for me, no idea on limit
was the middle seat actually free - Yes the row 1 middle seats were free (1B & 1E)
How many rows? - 1 row
Did you get a hot towel - no
Earthman and sokolov like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Presumably the same way that any other European airline with a variable-sized "business" cabin handles op-ups - bump some lucky individual(s) upwards at the gate if necessary, either on the basis of status, fare paid, or convenience.

Though without an actual curtain (or is there a curtain or some other "obvious" differentiator between Aer Space and Economy?) they could potentially shrink "Aer Space" to just one row of 3 seats as necessary, so there is not the same requirement, as in cabins with a curtain, to have each entire row in "Business" or "Economy".
The only obvious change is the stick on head rest cover is 'AerSpace' branded on 1A, 1C, 1D and 1F.
Earthman and irishguy28 like this.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
What if a third person booked aerospace? Another headrest cover?

You'd imagine business class long hauls will book into this so there will or should be more than 2 on an LHR
Early days,I'm sure,I hope, they'll adapt as they go along
was it explained that the bia menu was complimentary to you? Or did you just order as the cart went by?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:23 am

You'd imagine business class long hauls will book into this so there will or should be more than 2 on an LHR
Early days,I'm sure,I hope, they'll adapt as they go along
was it explained that the bia menu was complimentary to you? Or did you just order as the cart went by?
Zero explanation, ordered and the hostess did not ask for cash, early days as you say but easy to roll this back into more rows as it or if it gains traction
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:49 am

A curtain would make Aer Space a separate cabin and most likely attract a higher rate of APD ex-UK.
On the new A321, it attracts the higher APD rate (£26 vs £13) because it books into the business cabin.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1 row of AerSpace means 4 seats. Therefore, the third person is fine. There are four seats and four "headrest covers"!

I'm pretty sure I saw somewhere that business class connecting customers are booked into AerSpace "space permitting".

It seems they are NOT going to have an adaptable AerSpace cabin size like most Euro carriers do for their shortfalls.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blagger
A curtain would make Aer Space a separate cabin and most likely attract a higher rate of APD ex-UK.
On the new A321, it attracts the higher APD rate (£26 vs £13) because it books into the business cabin.
£26 is the standard rate, not the higher rate which is £78
Attached Images  
Old Sep 2, 2019, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
£26 is the standard rate, not the higher rate which is £78
There's no need for that. £13 is the rate for economy. £26 is the rate for other cabins.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
The APD is actually charged based on cabin OR service differential. The legislation has been worded very precisely, so the presence or absence of a curtain makes no difference. AerSpace should attract “Standard Rate” APD regardless of LR or not.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 11:45 pm

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BrianDromey
The APD is actually charged based on cabin OR service differential. The legislation has been worded very precisely, so the presence or absence of a curtain makes no difference. AerSpace should attract “Standard Rate” APD regardless of LR or not.
For ex-UK business class bookings (with an AerSpace connection to DUB) is APD charged based on first leg (£26) or total journey (which would be £172 I think)?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Dambus

For ex-UK business class bookings (with an AerSpace connection to DUB) is APD charged based on first leg (£26) or total journey (which would be £172 I think)?
ITA are showing it at £172, which I think is correct. I can't quite remember but I think the connecting journey use to jus the the ex-UK leg, but now its the origin and destination that are taken into account, on one ticket. If on separate tickets LHR-DUB followed by DUB-USA, APD would be £13 in Economy and £26 in AerSpace. If one one ticket it would be the full £172.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:13 am
Original Poster

I flew it yesterday DUB-LCY. Separate cabin complete with curtain divider. I could select anything I wanted from Bia menu .

Great product I like it. Will be the only way for me to go to London unless its BA Club Europe .
Dubh and RMDrive like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.