Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus IAG take over bid [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Aer Lingus takeover by IAG

Executive summary: Rumours of IAG (International Consolidated Airlines Group, British Airways, IAG Cargo, Iberia and Vueling - Link to Wikipedia article) interest in acquiring EI strengthened in December 2014, with refusals and objections by then 29% owner Ryanair, EI Board of Directors and some Irish government leaders (a 25% stake was held by the Irish government).

Aer Lingus, currently headed by CEO Stephen Kavanagh, was acquired by IAG for €1.36bn in 2015; IAG took full control of Aer Lingus on 02 Sep 2015.

Aer Lingus is working to join the oneworld airline alliance and plans to expand service to the U.S. later this year and next, CEO Stephen Kavanagh said Wednesday.

...Aer Lingus will strive to join the oneworld alliance that counts British Airways and American Airlines among its founding members.

“There are some advantages to joining the big-boys’ club,” Kavanagh said. While Avios will be a competitive tool, “ultimately, we believe that will result in our joining again oneworld,” he said.

Link
to USA Today article - 18 May 2016
Aer Lingus is on target to join the OneWorld alliance next year (2017), when it should also be able to benefit from BA's joint venture with American Airlines.

"The next big integration issue will be Aer Lingus coming into the joint business on the transatlantic. That will require some systems changes," said (IAG CEO) Mr Walsh.

Link to article in Independent - 30 Apr 2016
On 26 May 2015, after months of negotiations on a possible IAG takeover, the Irish government agreed to sell its 25% stake in the company. Ryanair retained a 30% stake in Aer Lingus which it agreed to sell to IAG on 10 July 2015 for €2.55 per share. In August 2015, Aer Lingus' shareholders officially accepted IAG's takeover offer. IAG subsequently assumed control of Aer Lingus on 2 September 2015.

Link to Wikipedia article about Aer Lingus
Print Wikipost

Aer Lingus IAG take over bid [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by miles_navigator
What is the general thinking on fuel surcharges when EI becomes part of IAG; will it look like BA and if using Avios then we will pay the fuel surcharge?
Who knows.

They are obliged to keep EI as its own identity. So this'll mean maintaining the Aer lingus website. I imagine they will use the Iberia model as the basis. In Iberia, you have a pot of Avios, which is distinct from your BA pot of Avios. You can move Avios between the different pots.

Booking an Iberia award on BA.com can cost significantly different amounts of Avios and fees than the exact same flight does on Iberia.com.

One assumes that somewhere down the line, IAG will get a single redemption engine in place that will behave pretty much identically regardless of the website being used, but that could be a long way away.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by tangey
One assumes that somewhere down the line, IAG will get a single redemption engine in place that will behave pretty much identically regardless of the website being used, but that could be a long way away.
As an IB flyer based in Madrid. I just hope that day never comes. I quite like the current arrangement.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 2:53 am

Programs: EI Gold
Occasional lurker here, not very familiar with OneWorld etc., but does anyone know what OneWorld tier EI Gold Circle members (the normal Gold tier) will be when the integration is complete?
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: Aer Lingus Concierge, Radisson Rewards Platinum, BW Diamond, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PierDave
Occasional lurker here, not very familiar with OneWorld etc., but does anyone know what OneWorld tier EI Gold Circle members (the normal Gold tier) will be when the integration is complete?
Beyond the service based benefits of check in and boarding, nothing basically as it matches to the Ruby tier

The old tier relationship was
Gold = Ruby
Prestige = Sapphire
Elite = Emerald

Aer Lingus is extremely generous to offer lounge access at Gold level, the equivalent BA Bronze doesn't
Old Sep 21, 2015, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Aer Lingus has 3 tiers of status - Gold, Prestige, and Elite.
Oneworld has 3 tiers of status - Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald.

That would seem to imply that EI Gold would map to oneworld Ruby; meaning you have access to EI lounges, but not to lounges on any other oneworld partner.

But bear in mind that EI are changing Gold Circle; a new programme should be unveiled next year.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: EI Gold
@ROKNA & irishguy28 - thanks for your reply.

I was thinking about that in terms of EI's lowest tier providing lounge access in comparison to BA, and wondering if the GC revamp will change tiers with a new lower tier not providing lounge access.

I would imagine if the current 2,400 point threshold for GC membership became a BA Bronze style tier, and in the absence of point accumulation changes in a new system, the GC lounges in DUB and LHR for example would be pretty empty.

From my experience, it's pretty difficult to get any higher than GC Gold unless you're flying TATL regularly.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cost cutting

I wonder what's left to cut?

Originally Posted by ATWOnline
Aer Lingus’ welcome party into International Airlines Group (IAG) will be “all about cost reduction,” according to Vueling CEO Alex Cruz. Cruz, who runs IAG’s Spanish low-cost carrier Vueling, said the acquisition is still very fresh. “It’s only just arrived; it’s literally just two or three weeks since deal was done,” he said, during the keynote interview at the World Low Cost Airlines Congress (WLCAC) in London on Sept. 15.
I don't have a subscription so that's as much as I can read...
Old Sep 22, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

When it says cost cutting that can mean pooling resources for contracts with caterers,check in at out stations, fuel,advertising etc.. So it might not be negative.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:26 pm

Location: Naas at the weekend and FRA during the working week
Programs: EI Aer Club Concierge , BAEC Silver, Tesco clubcard
@ROKNA & irishguy28 - thanks for your reply.

I was thinking about that in terms of EI's lowest tier providing lounge access in comparison to BA, and wondering if the GC revamp will change tiers with a new lower tier not providing lounge access.

I would imagine if the current 2,400 point threshold for GC membership became a BA Bronze style tier, and in the absence of point accumulation changes in a new system, the GC lounges in DUB and LHR for example would be pretty empty.

From my experience, it's pretty difficult to get any higher than GC Gold unless you're flying TATL regularly.
Perhaps to counteract this they may offer points on all sectors regardless of class of travel. Heading to FRA on Sunday, total ticket cost nearly €350 but points only on the outbound. EI really need to address this.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:19 pm

You hope cost-cutting refers to taking advantage of some new synergies because Aer Lingus already is basically a glorified LCC.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by irishguy28
I wonder what's left to cut?
I'm sure IAG will think of something.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by DELLAS
When it says cost cutting that can mean pooling resources for contracts with caterers,check in at out stations, fuel,advertising etc.. So it might not be negative.

And don't forget the sizable discounts which IAG will get for it's aircraft when they buy in bulk, especially the larger aircraft like the A350.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed, there are opportunities for such synergistic cost savings going forward; but there will still be cost cutting within Aer Lingus in parallel to all of that.

Originally Posted by The Irish Independent
Aer Lingus is also planning bigger than anticipated cost cuts once the IAG deal is complete. Eighteen months ago, Aer Lingus set a target to achieve annualised savings of €40m by the end of 2016.

"Our ambition is to beat the €40m target independent of an IAG transaction, because we deem it to be necessary," said Mr Kavanagh.

"We're confident we can exceed that €40m. But obviously the opportunity that IAG brings allows us to have far more ambitious targets from a cost reduction perspective."
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Indeed, there are opportunities for such synergistic cost savings going forward; but there will still be cost cutting within Aer Lingus in parallel to all of that.
They could get rid of some lame managers for a start. Quite a few that could be given the chop without it effecting the productivity one bit ! ^
Old Oct 28, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
BA and EI have applied to the DoT for blanket codesharing:

http://airlineinfo.com/ostpdf94/829.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.