Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus IAG take over bid [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Aer Lingus takeover by IAG

Executive summary: Rumours of IAG (International Consolidated Airlines Group, British Airways, IAG Cargo, Iberia and Vueling - Link to Wikipedia article) interest in acquiring EI strengthened in December 2014, with refusals and objections by then 29% owner Ryanair, EI Board of Directors and some Irish government leaders (a 25% stake was held by the Irish government).

Aer Lingus, currently headed by CEO Stephen Kavanagh, was acquired by IAG for €1.36bn in 2015; IAG took full control of Aer Lingus on 02 Sep 2015.

Aer Lingus is working to join the oneworld airline alliance and plans to expand service to the U.S. later this year and next, CEO Stephen Kavanagh said Wednesday.

...Aer Lingus will strive to join the oneworld alliance that counts British Airways and American Airlines among its founding members.

“There are some advantages to joining the big-boys’ club,” Kavanagh said. While Avios will be a competitive tool, “ultimately, we believe that will result in our joining again oneworld,” he said.

Link
to USA Today article - 18 May 2016
Aer Lingus is on target to join the OneWorld alliance next year (2017), when it should also be able to benefit from BA's joint venture with American Airlines.

"The next big integration issue will be Aer Lingus coming into the joint business on the transatlantic. That will require some systems changes," said (IAG CEO) Mr Walsh.

Link to article in Independent - 30 Apr 2016
On 26 May 2015, after months of negotiations on a possible IAG takeover, the Irish government agreed to sell its 25% stake in the company. Ryanair retained a 30% stake in Aer Lingus which it agreed to sell to IAG on 10 July 2015 for €2.55 per share. In August 2015, Aer Lingus' shareholders officially accepted IAG's takeover offer. IAG subsequently assumed control of Aer Lingus on 2 September 2015.

Link to Wikipedia article about Aer Lingus
Print Wikipost

Aer Lingus IAG take over bid [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Originally Posted by The Irish Independent

Aviation chief Willie Walsh sees opportunities for Aer Lingus in destinations like India, Japan and China.

"You'd start with India, Japan and China," he said.

"I think China could be a real opportunity as Ireland has real trade links with China. Our experience with BA in China is that it is a slow burn and takes a long time."
The following popped up on the Indo website today...

Originally Posted by The Irish Independent
The boss of Beijing's international airport has confirmed plans to establish a direct air route between Dublin and the Chinese capital.

But it is likely the air link will not come on stream for another three years.

Shi Boli, the general manager of Beijing's airport, confirmed that the route to Dublin is on his radar, along with an additional direct service to Manchester.

The Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) and Ireland's State business and tourism agencies have long been pushing for a direct link from Ireland to China.
Of course, that's a very speculative remark, and there is no guarantee that, even if it is actively being considered, that Aer Lingus is the operator in the frame...
Old Sep 16, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
Aer Lingus has now been delisted from the stock exchange:

http://www.investegate.co.uk/aer-lin...%20PLC%20Alert
Old Sep 17, 2015, 1:28 pm

It takes time to meet all the requirements of alliance entry.
Is the interest in rejoining One World due to EI offering better levels of service? Recently travelled between DUB & LHR by both EI and BA, and the difference was remarkable. Efficient service, and complimentary glass of wine and nibbles on BA... though I must add that LHR T2 is a superior departure point in my opinion...
Old Sep 17, 2015, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Grounded Pilot
Is the interest in rejoining One World due to EI offering better levels of service? Recently travelled between DUB & LHR by both EI and BA, and the difference was remarkable. Efficient service, and complimentary glass of wine and nibbles on BA... though I must add that LHR T2 is a superior departure point in my opinion...
Welcome to FlyerTalk Grounded Pilot. I hope you can enjoy our forum here,it's very informative and entertaining, and we do encourage you to take part.

EI back in oneworld will mean that oneworld frequent fliers can use the lounges and get points or miles on EI flights, and spend miles from their own programme on EI services. EI frequent fliers will benefit from the reciprocal arrangement when using oneworld services around the globe.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:02 pm
Formerly known as kmht

Programs: Alcoholics Anonymous
For me, I prefer EI because of the pre-clearance at Dublin and hopefully when they rejoin OW I will have another avenue to use my AA miles to get to Europe and for hopefully less of a "surcharge".
Old Sep 17, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Litning77
For me, I prefer EI because of the pre-clearance at Dublin and hopefully when they rejoin OW I will have another avenue to use my AA miles to get to Europe and for hopefully less of a "surcharge".
This part may be optimistic
Old Sep 18, 2015, 3:55 am

hopefully no one has asked this here yet, but what will EI offer to OWE pax in terms of premium lounges as i understand there's no F service
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is the interest in rejoining One World due to EI offering better levels of service?
IAG said during the offer that they would bring Aer Lingus back into oneworld and integrate them into the immunised transatlantic joint business venture.

I'm not sure if alliance membership is a pre-requisite for being allowed to participate in that joint venture; however, it makes sense for IAG to integrate EI into oneworld, as this will likely encourage other oneworld partners to co-operate with, and transfer passengers to and from, Aer Lingus.

When you operate as a "virtual" single airline in this lucrative market (as AA/BA/IB/AY do), you don't suddenly want to have a partner in there for whom many passengers would not receive miles or status benefits.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowjhg
hopefully no one has asked this here yet, but what will EI offer to OWE pax in terms of premium lounges as i understand there's no F service
Neither IB nor AY have F service either. And AA does not have F lounges.

All the oneworld airlines offer a J service - as does EI.

When you travel on an airline such as BA that has F, you only get access to the relevant lounge when you are actually travelling in F. When you travel in J, you get access to the relevant J lounge(s).

When integrated into oneworld, all oneworld status customers holding the relevant status will have access to Aer Lingus's Gold Circle lounges when travelling on oneworld flights departing from the same terminal.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:22 am

Neither IB nor AY have F service either. And AA does not have F lounges.

All the oneworld airlines offer a J service - as does EI.

When you travel on an airline such as BA that has F, you only get access to the relevant lounge when you are actually travelling in F. When you travel in J, you get access to the relevant J lounge(s).

When integrated into oneworld, all oneworld status customers holding the relevant status will have access to Aer Lingus's Gold Circle lounges when travelling on oneworld flights departing from the same terminal.
Cool mate awesome!

OT: Doesn't AA have the Flagship First (Rooms) separate from the main AAdmiral Club in certain locations that may count as OWE waiting areas?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
YQ on EI as part of IAG?

Originally Posted by Litning77
<snip> hopefully less of a "surcharge".
What is the general thinking on fuel surcharges when EI becomes part of IAG; will it look like BA and if using Avios then we will pay the fuel surcharge?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 4:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lowjhg
OT: Doesn't AA have the Flagship First (Rooms) separate from the main AAdmiral Club in certain locations that may count as OWE waiting areas?
Indeed...there are apparently 4 Flagship Lounges which are available to First Class [International/some Transcontinental] customers and oneworld Sapphire members.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And AA does not have F lounges.
Yes it does—I spent twelve hours in one last week.

Indeed...there are apparently 4 Flagship Lounges which are available to First Class [International/some Transcontinental] customers and oneworld Sapphire members.
Emerald members.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
Yes it does—I spent twelve hours in one last week.
Poor you.

Were you detained there against your will? Or why did you not leave?

Originally Posted by Calchas
Emerald members.
D'oh! That is actually what I intended to write.

I'm still traumatised at having had my status downgraded to Sapphire this year - despite flying more with oneworld last year than in any year previously!! But with a little help from the Vikings, I'll probably be back up there soon.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Poor you.
Not quite, it was the best connection I could organize at < 24 hour notice only using "I" availability from South America to Europe. I didn't wish to go into NYC and actually I had quite a productive day.

The flagship lounges are not very "glitzy" and the food leaves something to be desired but I find them quite functional.

Last edited by starflyergold; Sep 18, 2015 at 8:02 am Reason: in appropriate language in quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.