Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aer Lingus | AerClub
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus IAG take over bid [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Aer Lingus takeover by IAG

Executive summary: Rumours of IAG (International Consolidated Airlines Group, British Airways, IAG Cargo, Iberia and Vueling - Link to Wikipedia article) interest in acquiring EI strengthened in December 2014, with refusals and objections by then 29% owner Ryanair, EI Board of Directors and some Irish government leaders (a 25% stake was held by the Irish government).

Aer Lingus, currently headed by CEO Stephen Kavanagh, was acquired by IAG for €1.36bn in 2015; IAG took full control of Aer Lingus on 02 Sep 2015.

Aer Lingus is working to join the oneworld airline alliance and plans to expand service to the U.S. later this year and next, CEO Stephen Kavanagh said Wednesday.

...Aer Lingus will strive to join the oneworld alliance that counts British Airways and American Airlines among its founding members.

“There are some advantages to joining the big-boys’ club,” Kavanagh said. While Avios will be a competitive tool, “ultimately, we believe that will result in our joining again oneworld,” he said.

Link
to USA Today article - 18 May 2016
Aer Lingus is on target to join the OneWorld alliance next year (2017), when it should also be able to benefit from BA's joint venture with American Airlines.

"The next big integration issue will be Aer Lingus coming into the joint business on the transatlantic. That will require some systems changes," said (IAG CEO) Mr Walsh.

Link to article in Independent - 30 Apr 2016
On 26 May 2015, after months of negotiations on a possible IAG takeover, the Irish government agreed to sell its 25% stake in the company. Ryanair retained a 30% stake in Aer Lingus which it agreed to sell to IAG on 10 July 2015 for €2.55 per share. In August 2015, Aer Lingus' shareholders officially accepted IAG's takeover offer. IAG subsequently assumed control of Aer Lingus on 2 September 2015.

Link to Wikipedia article about Aer Lingus
Print Wikipost

Aer Lingus IAG take over bid [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 12:56 pm

Aer Lingus to make a new TATL route announcement on Friday.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
This part of the JV i wonder
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by aidy
This part of the JV i wonder
Aer Lingus won't be in the JV until they re-join oneworld which won't be until a date unknown in 2017.

Any route announcement made today is unlikely to be tied-in to that unknown JV entry date.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by iFlyMIA
Aer Lingus to make a new TATL route announcement on Friday.
ummm....
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by tangey
ummm....
Well then.. Travel Extra is wrong yet again.

http://travelextra.info/
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Not quite a new route announcement but on Friday The Irish Times did report something Willie Walsh said after the IAG results were announced:

Originally Posted by The Irish Times
Aer Lingus could launch two further transatlantic flights next year, its parent group International Airlines’ Group (IAG) indicated in Friday.

Speaking after IAG announced its results, chief executive Willie Walsh indicated that the Irish carrier could add new routes to the US next year. However, he did not say that what those routes are likely to be. “We will leave that up to Aer Lingus,” he said.
MIA is suggested, but that any actual announcement is not likely not until the autumn.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:32 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Per Skift article, EI doing well under IAG, considering A321LRs for trans-Atlantic services:

Originally Posted by Skift.com
IAG Relying on Aer Lingus to Soften Brexit Blow

IAG said last week that Aer Lingus’ first-half 2016 profit was roughly $46.9 million, a massive increase from the same period last year, when the company earned about $4.5 million. Its operating margin was 5.4 percent, up 4.8 percentage points. Among the three other IAG airlines, only British Airways did better, with a 9.1 percent margin.

“Aer Lingus is probably the star in this quarter,” IAG’s CFO, Enrique Dupuy, said on the company’s July 29 earnings call.

Looking ahead, IAG executives said they are evaluating the Airbus A321LR for Aer Lingus. The plane, which will hit the market in 2019, is a single-aisle aircraft with about 200 seats with just enough range to fly from Western Europe to the East Coast of the United States. Because it has relatively few seats for an aircraft capable of flying that distance, the A321LR could allow Aer Lingus to fly into smaller U.S. markets that don’t work today.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:42 am

Interesting as JetBlue also considering the A321LR for transatlantic flights to Europe from the East Coast..so looks like the A321LR throwing up possibly a few more interesting options for both East Coast & European passengers.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Just enough range to fly from Western Europe to the East Coast of the United States" is a very mealy-mouthed description of the A321LR range.

BA has been flying A318-100s from SNN-JFK-LCY for several years

The A321LR is intended as a replacement/competitor for the B757

Its 4000nm range puts most of the US (and all of Canada) within range of DUB
Attached Images  

Last edited by irishguy28; Aug 5, 2016 at 1:33 am
Old Aug 5, 2016, 2:49 am

Dubai looks to be in range as well...potential for DUB-MCO to become daily flight using A321LR ? :-)
Old Aug 5, 2016, 3:35 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by argonath
Dubai looks to be in range as well...potential for DUB-MCO to become daily flight using A321LR ? :-)
I sincerely doubt EI would like to go to Dubai. Qatar maybe but it is more likely that Qatar will use their own aircraft to DUB soon enough.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Indeed! Dubai was tried before and didn't work out well - with no local partner and not enough O&D traffic to sustain a simple DUB-DXB route.

At least at DOH they have a partner ready and willing to carry EI pax further - whether locally within the region, or onwards to Asia, the Pacific, and Africa.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: No longer bothered chasing FF status.
Originally Posted by argonath
.......potential for DUB-MCO to become daily flight using A321LR ? :-)
Oh noooooo, leave my lovely A330 to MCO alone
Old Aug 5, 2016, 7:13 pm
soy

Programs: various
I cannot see them going east, even with a 757. Instead the growth will be through increased frequencies to all existing USA + a few new routes to secondary cities (like BDL).
Even though the range would suggest they could hit places as far as YVR, you are at the edge of performance. I recall UA having lots of issues in winter with some of the 757 destinations beyond UK & Ireland.

Picking an outsider for the A321-LR, I could see DUB-MSP working. Big enough Irish connection in St. Paul and large medical device industry at either end of the route
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:51 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by soy
I cannot see them going east, even with a 757. Instead the growth will be through increased frequencies to all existing USA + a few new routes to secondary cities (like BDL).
Even though the range would suggest they could hit places as far as YVR, you are at the edge of performance. I recall UA having lots of issues in winter with some of the 757 destinations beyond UK & Ireland.

Picking an outsider for the A321-LR, I could see DUB-MSP working. Big enough Irish connection in St. Paul and large medical device industry at either end of the route
That’s an interesting suggestion – MSP would fill in a bit of the map nicely, even though they already serve ORD.

Another potential option if they were looking to fill in the East Coast would be PHL, which has a sizeable Irish-American population, although already served by AA (and multiple options from LHR of course).

I can’t quite see MIA with MCO already being in the picture which I think is the more prevalent destination for local O&D traffic on both ends, although I guess you could have said the same about Hartford/BDL (although that route is obviously being subsidised). MIA being an AA hub may swing it though.

I’d agree that DFW seems unlikely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.