Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Why is Miles and Bonus such a confusing program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: M-Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Aeroplan 50K, DragonPass, AMEX MR, NEXUS

I currently have status with AC (P25K - AC*S), and I am wondering how difficult it would be for me to try to attain A3*G status. From what I have heard, it is relatively easy to get *G with Aegean when compared with other *A airlines.

I have the following questions:
Can I attain A3*G status based on segments? Or is it miles only?
How many flights must be on Aegean? The site says 4 flights, so I am guessing this is right?

Overall, it is pretty confusing trying to understand this! Not as clear-cut as AC Altitude where for example it says 25,000 miles or 25 segments, and $3,000 qualifying dollars for P25K.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:13 am

Your questions have been answered many times. A simple search will do.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cookoovaya
Your questions have been answered many times. A simple search will do.
No need to be standoffish

I almost never visit the Aegean forum, in fact, this is my first time.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by codfather
No need to be standoffish

I'm just saying that you could have done a search beforehand.

You cannot earn status with segments only. You need miles.

"To reach the Silver Tier, all you need to do is fly Aegean or Olympic Air at least twice and earn 12,000 Tier Miles within 12 months OR collect a total 24,000 Tier Miles, regardless of which airline you choose to fly with. Whichever you do first will get you there."

Once you are Silver:

"To upgrade from Silver to the Gold Tier, all you need to do is fly Aegean or Olympic Air at least four times and earn 24,000 Tier Miles within 12 months OR collect a total 48,000 Tier Miles, regardless of which airline you choose to fly with. Whichever you do first will get you there."
Old Oct 30, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Best to read before posting.

Otherwise, all our hard work on posting stickies, FAQs, and detailed threads, is for nothing, and you force us to repeat ourselves. (You don't really want us to explain the programme anew to each newly interested member?)

Read the wiki here: New Program Details for M&B

Should you still have questions after reading the wiki, then ask in that thread - though it's unlikely, at this stage, that you will come up with new questions that haven't been settled there already.

Enjoy!

I have the following questions:
Can I attain A3*G status based on segments? Or is it miles only?
How many flights must be on Aegean? The site says 4 flights, so I am guessing this is right?

Overall, it is pretty confusing trying to understand this! Not as clear-cut as AC Altitude where for example it says 25,000 miles or 25 segments, and $3,000 qualifying dollars for P25K.
I'm not sure why the website is causing confusion - unless you are somehow thrown by the simpler qualification structure, and cannot understand that a less rigorous system can be enough.

To qualify, you simply have to do what is written (Note that to achieve Gold, you must first have separately achieved Silver). Nothing more. Discard your pre-conceived complex North American qualification notions and minimum spending requirements. The Greeks are far more laid back.
Attached Images  
Stewie Mac, Jma12, cad-spe and 1 others like this.

Last edited by irishguy28; Oct 30, 2019 at 10:30 am
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Gold · A3 Gold · DL Gold · VY apologist
Also worth noting that A3 is super generous with cheap AC business fares. They give 200% for P, for example, while the same fare on LH earns zero miles.
codfather and Jma12 like this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
Best to read before posting.

Otherwise, all our hard work on posting stickies, FAQs, and detailed threads, is for nothing, and you force us to repeat ourselves. (You don't really want us to explain the programme anew to each newly interested member?)

Read the wiki here: New Program Details for M&B

Should you still have questions after reading the wiki, then ask in that thread - though it's unlikely, at this stage, that you will come up with new questions that haven't been settled there already.

Enjoy!

I'm not sure why the website is causing confusion - unless you are somehow thrown by the simpler qualification structure, and cannot understand that a less rigorous system can be enough.

To qualify, you simply have to do what is written (Note that to achieve Gold, you must first have separately achieved Silver). Nothing more. Discard your pre-conceived complex North American qualification notions and minimum spending requirements. The Greeks are far more laid back.
Thank you for the help, as I said above, I have never been to the Aegean forum before now. It seemed like a rather detailed question to me, so I didn't think was worth hunting through pages of the forum trying to find an answer.

In the AC forum, we often provide new visitors to the forum with links to where this information is mentioned in other threads. Just a tip for the future!
Old Oct 30, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
In the AC forum, we often provide new visitors to the forum with links to where this information is mentioned in other threads. Just a tip for the future!
As do we!

The link I provided in my post above was found in the "Dashboard" thread in the Stickies!
Old Oct 30, 2019, 2:13 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
It's all Greek to me!
irishguy28 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: Alaska
Thank you for the help, as I said above, I have never been to the Aegean forum before now. It seemed like a rather detailed question to me, so I didn't think was worth hunting through pages of the forum trying to find an answer.

Since you don't want to make any effort, why not stick with AC?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by freed0m
Since you don't want to make any effort, why not stick with AC?
Why would I have any reason to leave AC?
Old Oct 30, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: Alaska
Why would I have any reason to leave AC?

AC is great. Don't jump out of your comfort zone.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:05 pm

Just a summary - it takes more miles than AC or other *A members to get from nobody to *G on A3. But once you are A3 *G it's very easy to retain *G status (only 24k status miles in a rolling 12 month period)

A3 award chart has some sweet spot - noticably intra Asia business award at 21k.

Most *A reward seats are bookable online. Call center and reward change and cancellation fees are reasonable, unlike AC or UA.
Ellice likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2019, 11:56 pm

@khkchan: You described M+B in a very uncomplicated way using plain English! Several FTers, though, need convoluted explanations as answers, otherwise they get annoyed if they see something being simple. Try writing that in 500 words and using at least 10 acronyms (airlines' don't count).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.