Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

Together - some questions on the workings of a joint account

Old Sep 25, 19, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold)

I already have a Together account with a friend who I travel with often.

Another friend will be travelling in SAS economy to the US this week with her mother. I suggested to them that they open a Miles&Bonus account because of the attractive earnings, and individually they will earn about 7,698 miles. Plus, I am not sure if Aegean still awards a 1,000 miles sign-up bonus. The mother has said that she probably won't fly again.

7,698 miles would be enough to book an economy flight from VIE to ATH, but with taxes (33.78) that makes almost no sense. So I mentioned to them that another option was to pool the miles so that the daughter could book a business class flight instead, but as they don't have status that's not an option.

With the Together account, if I invited them to my account, I could book the flight for the daughter. The only problem there is, the remaining 2,396 miles.

1.) Does Aegean still award a 1,000 miles sign-up bonus?
2.) If after booking a flight I remove them from the account, do all the remaining miles stay in my Together account? (logically I think they would)
3.) Would inviting them and then removing them restrict me to inviting only 1 more friend in the future, or 3?

I see no issues here regarding the terms & conditions of the Together account. As always, I'm grateful for your help/advice.

Last edited by headingwest; Sep 25, 19 at 1:02 am
Old Sep 25, 19, 3:01 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
1.) Does Aegean still award a 1,000 miles sign-up bonus?
Yes. Clearly written on the homepage.
MILES+BONUS More options, more miles.
Join now, earn 1,000 welcome miles and discover numerous reasons to be a Miles+Bonus member

rest, details here (Chapter 9): https://en.aegeanair.com/conditions-...nd-conditions/

2.) If after booking a flight I remove them from the account, do all the remaining miles stay in my Together account? (logically I think they would)
There are two types of miles, tier miles (to earn silver/gold tier) and award miles (to redeem for stuff).
The tier miles always remain with the original owner (and are not pooled), while the award miles remain with the Together account owner.

3.) Would inviting them and then removing them restrict me to inviting only 1 more friend in the future, or 3?
Yes, you can only remove people after a year, meaning at most 5 new members (excluding you, the 6th member) within 12 months.
Details in the URL above.
The particular accounts you added then removed can not participate in any other together account for 6 months from date of removal from previous together account.
Also, such accounts added to a Together account cannot be removed in less than 12 months from the join date.
A Together account can consist of 2 to 6 members.

Together accounts aren't there to be misused for pooling of miles, and yours could be frozen if suspicious mileage pooling is suspected.
the members dont need to be family, but frequent adding and removal of accounts would constitute suspicious activity.
I suggest you do it only if you are ok with having those two accounts lying dormant in your together account for a year.
Old Sep 25, 19, 8:29 am

Programs: A3 *G
They can avoid the whole 'Together' thing and one can simply transfer their miles to the other for a one-off 15 Euro fee. See Chapter 7 of the T&C

https://en.aegeanair.com/conditions-...nd-conditions/

That would probably be the easiest way to deal with this situation.
Old Sep 25, 19, 9:11 am

Programs: KL Platinum, LA Black, A3 Gold, BA Silver, IB Oro
My advice is to sign up for them you get 1000 bonus miles for sign up and then transfer the miles for 19E to your account. It can be only in thousands so if you short a bit, use booking.com to make it for thousand. You safe 2 places in together account for such a small miles. A3 is very strict today so in advance I am telling you they will want proof that you dont use the account without knowing of the owner - e. g. ID + something that shows address used in registration.
Old Sep 25, 19, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tokyoite View Post
Thanks for answers and the link, much appreciated. I should have realised the info was contained with the main programme terms & conditions.

Together accounts aren't there to be misused for pooling of miles, and yours could be frozen if suspicious mileage pooling is suspected.
I thought the Together account was for specifically for the pooling of miles, but what do I know!

But I agree with Knobbgb's suggestion, 15 EUR is not a big deal.
Old Sep 25, 19, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by headingwest View Post
Thanks for answers and the link, much appreciated. I should have realised the info was contained with the main programme terms & conditions.

I thought the Together account was for specifically for the pooling of miles, but what do I know!
Yes, within families. Adding and deleting member accounts is suspicious, since it would mean you are "frequently updating your family members"
Old Sep 25, 19, 6:35 pm

Programs: A3*G, FB Platinum, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Amb
Yes, within families. Adding and deleting member accounts is suspicious, since it would mean you are "frequently updating your family members"
Well you can add friends too, right?It is not only family.
Old Sep 26, 19, 12:11 am

There is nothing that suggests together members must be family members - "Friend" is clearly one of the options for describing someone you add. I have had around 10 members (1 to 3 new members a year for 5 years) and all have just been friends. Yes, the system is open to abuse and people have been 'audited' in the past but I haven't heard of that for a while and it seems to have been in extreme situations, such as people opening accounts for non-existent 'friends' simply to get the 1000 bonus miles or where A3 suspect you're just buying miles from strangers you've contacted online. Since last year, when they started allowing the transfer of up to 50,000 miles from ANY account to any other, the rules seem, if anything, more relaxed.

A3 is very strict today so in advance I am telling you they will want proof that you dont use the account without knowing of the owner
Yes, I think knowledge of the owner is the key. Would they ask for proof in this case - I think almost certainly not.
Old Sep 26, 19, 1:18 am
Original Poster

I will speak to my friend. She can decide if she wants to pay the 15 EUR for a miles transfer, or if not, I will add her and her mother as friends. Leaving them as Together friends for a year will not be a problem.

I don't see this as abuse of the programme. This is a friend who would otherwise not be able to use the miles to their full potential. As I see it, this is what the feature was created for. There is nothing fraudulent about this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 11:59 am

I will speak to my friend. She can decide if she wants to pay the 15 EUR for a miles transfer, or if not, I will add her and her mother as friends. Leaving them as Together friends for a year will not be a problem.

I don't see this as abuse of the programme. This is a friend who would otherwise not be able to use the miles to their full potential. As I see it, this is what the feature was created for. There is nothing fraudulent about this.
It’s not an abuse. In fact, my together group comes from 6 friends!
however, be careful about swapping friends in and out frequently (like, 5 new members replacing the existing 5 friends every year). Your account will not survive an audit. That’s what I meant by suspicious activity (in the eyes of the program).
headingwest likes this.
Old Sep 30, 19, 10:11 am

.7,698 miles would be enough to book an economy flight from VIE to ATH, but with taxes (€33.78) that makes almost no sense.
7698miles+33,78€ makes "almost no sense"? Depending on the dates one might want to take the flight, this could even be a great redemption! What price (without using miles) would you be willing to pay for that flight (or what price do you usually pay for it)?
I'm flying back and forth between northwestern Germany and Athens and I redeem my miles more often than not.
Old Sep 30, 19, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by giorginho View Post
7698miles+33,78€ makes "almost no sense"? Depending on the dates one might want to take the flight, this could even be a great redemption! What price (without using miles) would you be willing to pay for that flight (or what price do you usually pay for it)?
I'm flying back and forth between northwestern Germany and Athens and I redeem my miles more often than not.
Good point. But this is somebody who will not be needing a last minute flight. For her it will make far more sense to book a flight for next spring or summer, when revenue flights can be had for around €55.
Old Sep 30, 19, 10:50 am

Good point. But this is somebody who will not be needing a last minute flight. For her it will make far more sense to book a flight for next spring or summer, when revenue flights can be had for around €55.
OK, if the net price per mile used is less than 0,01€ or something like 0,008€ then I wouldn't use them either (with 55€ and taxes included it is a no-brainer, just make sure it is Aegean and not Ryan or Wizz or similar, because they'll end up being much more expensive with bags, seat selection etc.).
Old Sep 30, 19, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by giorginho View Post
OK, if the net price per mile used is less than 0,01€ or something like 0,008€ then I wouldn't use them either (with 55€ and taxes included it is a no-brainer, just make sure it is Aegean and not Ryan or Wizz or similar, because they'll end up being much more expensive with bags, seat selection etc.).
Of course I'm being very selective with the date, but here is an example. That was what I meant when I said an economy redemption makes no sense. Although you are correct, they can be extremely good value for last minute flights.

And taking it one step further, you can get it even cheaper with online travel agents

giorginho likes this.
Old Oct 2, 19, 11:46 pm

Yeah, European redemptions rarely make sense - especially on well served 'trunk' routes like this. If you have to book a ticket at last minute, the redemption would probably not be available anyway.

About the only time I nearly booked a redemption in Europe was when flying somewhere off the beaten track, where a connection was absolutely necessary and there is no dumping of ultra-cheap fares. In my case it was with SAS to Northern Norway (Athens-Tromso).

Ironically, another semi-sweet spot can be ultra-short flights. My local airport (PAS) has only a 0.30 tax, so it's often possible to save 70 or 80 Euro on the short flight to ATH for around 7000 miles. Still pretty bad value imo, but still 4x better than the example above. The sweet-spot on A3/OA seems to be when the fares have hit V class. Redemptions are still available but the fares are beginning to get quite high.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Oct 2, 19 at 11:54 pm

Search this Thread