Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance for domestic Greece flights for * Alliance Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baggage allowance for domestic Greece flights for * Alliance Gold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2016, 9:17 pm

It's 7 meters higher and ~550 meters further into town (based on Google Earth). Yep, damn luggage...

PS Ooops: plus ~200 meters from your hotel to the harbour's "entrance".
Old Mar 16, 2016, 9:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
I've often pulled luggage that kind of distance before, more than once.

Like the workout but don't want to get all sweaty first thing in the morning.

Plus not having to go to the bus station saves me 15-20 minutes. I could get a taxi to go to the bus station but then maybe they charge €10 for the minimal ride.

Supposedly reserving a taxi to show up early in the morning should be about €25.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:49 am

I think I'd do the same like you (or to be correct: I'd have done the same before the Greek crisis... )
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
The taxi price is about right indeed for the airport from Chania. Just depending on your exact location around the harbour (part are small streets where cars cannot come, mainly Western part) you still might have to walk for a little bit to meet up with the taxi.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 10:33 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Speaking of which, I know they were suppose to be raising the VAT for the islands and the hotels seems to reflect that.

And I believe the breakdown of some of the fares on Aegean showed more in taxes than the actual fare itself.

Yeah my hotel web site says you have to park near Talos Square and then walk down.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Diamond (no I will not use the new name), Marriott/ SPG lt Plat, JPM Reserve, Amex Plat
Does anyone know A3's policy for the baggage allowance of an additional pax who has no status on the same PNR as a pax who has *G? My SO and I are flying ATH-JTR-ATH and I know I will get the one extra piece due to *G but I wasn't sure about my SO.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by DErg
Does anyone know A3's policy for the baggage allowance of an additional pax who has no status on the same PNR as a pax who has *G? My SO and I are flying ATH-JTR-ATH and I know I will get the one extra piece due to *G but I wasn't sure about my SO.
Any extra privilege is linked to the *G member and not to the ticket/PNR!
Old Apr 26, 2016, 1:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Man Aegean website makes no sense.

Look at this text:

Extra baggage allowance

As a Gold member you can choose not to travel light. We allow an additional 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies, or one additional piece of luggage where the piece concept applies. This benefit may only be available if traveling on two or more Star Alliance member airlines on a single ticket. Please contact the Star Alliance member airline with whom you will check-in with for further details.

On Aegean flights all Star Gold members retain the right to carry free of charge one additional piece of baggage, regardless of the fare family they are traveling with (32kg in Business and 23kg in Economy Class).
http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...-program/gold/

So in the same "Air Partners" section, they list both 20 and 23 kg, just within a few sentences of each other.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:57 pm

Programs: A3 *G
I don't know where the 20kg comes from. I'm pretty sure it's 23kg - that's what we get as Aegean Golds anyway (I'm assuming you're looking at it as a *Gold of another airline). Just bear in mind that this only applies to flights operated by Aegean. *G members from other airlines get no privileges on Olympic flights.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

That was cited by A3 rep on email, pointed me to that web page with the confusing language.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:45 am

It is indeed confusing, but actually correct. It is either an extra 20kg for flights where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies. This is the generic rule for all *A carriers.

In most (all?) aegean flights the piece concept applies and each piece can weigh up to 23kg in Y and 32kg in C. So that's basically the extra allowance that you get!
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Another thing they clarified by email.

You can take aboard the cabin 2 pieces totaling 8 kilo:

1. a traditional carryon with specific size requirements
2. a laptop bag
Old Jun 27, 2016, 2:33 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Wow, what a ...... operation they have.

I went to pay for the baggage on the Olympic Air flight and I get notification from my Chase visa that they charged $20.46 for the €18 baggage fee.

But their web site says they had problems with the credit card and prompts me to enter again. So they charged and they want me to send another charge through.

Meanwhile my booking doesn't have the baggage allowance for which I have been charged.

Now I have to deal with their slow customer service and who knows if they'll resolve the situation by 7/21.
Old Jun 27, 2016, 7:47 pm

Give them a call, they're usually not slow but, rather, very efficient in helping resolve problems.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
My understanding from this thread is that *A Gold from other (non-Agean) airlines will get a free checked bag only on AExxx flights and codeshare flights (OA9xx).

I havent found any flights from Athens to any Greek island (Crete, Rhodes, Santorini, Corfu, Paros, Mykonos, Skiathos, etc.) that actually had such a fare. It seems that Greeces #1 carrier, Aegaen, as a rule, doesnt fly within Greece!

Now many if not most of the OA fares that come up on the Aegean website say operated by Aegean, but from what Ive read here they are treated as Olympic flights and *A get no benefits at all. Consistent with this claim, they only allow you to enter an Aegean Mileage plan #. The only flights I found that allow a UA # are the AExxx flights. I havent actually found any examples of OA9xx codeshares at all, so Im not sure about those.

So it seems theres no way for *A (other than Aegean) to fly to a Greek island from Athens and avoid baggage fees. Is that correct? It matters to me because the wife and I (both *A with UA) would have to pay about $80 extra for each RT (plus no lounge access and no EQM or RDM).

It also seems that almost all flights to Greek islands start from Athens (with the exception of a few from Thessaloniki). I havent noticed any flights between the smalle islands (with the exception of KOS), or any from IST (on any airline).

The only way I can see for *A Gold members to get a free bag is to check in from another country. Were starting and ending in Istanbul, so IST-ATH-HER would get us free bags (if we dont stopover in ATH and re-check). The same is probably true in reverse (HER-ATH-IST), though the IATA rules about most significant carrier are complicated (anyone know for sure?).

Actually, although aegean's website doesn't turn up any OA9xx flights, Orbitz gives some aegean marketed flights that should yield *A benefits. But then the prices is about $40 more per person (for the flights I checked), so there's no real savings (It's the price of the Aegean websites flex fare, but but does not include a bag).

I do see that there are lots of ferries. For me, a 1 hour ferry ride in calm waters is fun, 2 hours is tolerable, but I wouldnt look forward to a longer one. The Greek islands are spread out pretty good, so many of the ferry rides are 5-10 hours.

P.S. None of this was intended as a complaint. Even with bag fees, the fares arent outrageous or anything. Thai airways does something similar (though they do have real Thai flights to Phuket, Chiang Mai, and a few other places.) Im just trying to figure out how maximize Greek travel as *A Gold.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.