Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance for domestic Greece flights for * Alliance Gold

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2016, 4:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

If I choose a GoLight fare, as a * Alliance Gold, I can check one 23 kg bag and one roller carryon in the cabin?

No second personal item like a small bag?

So I would have to book the the Flex fare or is there some additional bag fee for the personal item?

The personal item in this case is my camera sling bag for my DSLR and accessories. The bag fits under the seats of most aircraft, though I don't know if I would be on some propeller plane between some of the islands and ATH, depending on which flight I choose. There seems to be a lot of A321 flights though.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:25 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LCAH Gold
Well, this one hand luggage is not really strictly checked. On my last flights with A3 (SOF - ATH - SKG - FRA and TXL - ATH - SOF) no one checked number of bags taken on board. Only at TXL luggage was weighted. At SKG gate stuff put two types of stickers/tags on hand luggage - one was cabin luggage and second (don't remember how it is called) for things to be placed below the seat in front.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:51 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well I contacted them online but no answer yet so I called the US number and the guy said it was the discretion of the gate agent. You can have a laptop bag but not a backpack. But if it fits under the seat, it should be okay.

Well I booked my flights but on the CHQ to ATH flight, there were only OA flights listed but they all said operated by Aegean.

Yet when I paid, I wasn't able to enter my UA MP number. So my itinerary shows no baggage allowance.

When I booked the ATH-JMK flight, I was able to enter my MP number and I get a checked bag allowance.

So does OA and A3 flights not codeshare, even on flights operated by A3?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by wco81
If I choose a GoLight fare, as a * Alliance Gold, I can check one 23 kg bag and one roller carryon in the cabin?

No second personal item like a small bag?

So I would have to book the the Flex fare or is there some additional bag fee for the personal item?

The personal item in this case is my camera sling bag for my DSLR and accessories. The bag fits under the seats of most aircraft, though I don't know if I would be on some propeller plane between some of the islands and ATH, depending on which flight I choose. There seems to be a lot of A321 flights though.
You should have no problem. It's not explicitly stated anywhere as far as I know, but my experience says you're allowed your carry on roller/spinner (or equivalent) and a personal item (usually laptop bag or lady's bag, etc., but the camera sling bag sounds equivalent).

I doubt there's any difference with the smaller planes that go to islands, but perhaps someone else could enlighten us.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:02 am

Programs: A3 *G
Well I booked my flights but on the CHQ to ATH flight, there were only OA flights listed but they all said operated by Aegean.

Yet when I paid, I wasn't able to enter my UA MP number. So my itinerary shows no baggage allowance.

The problem will be - as this is an OA flight, not A3, you won't get your *A gold privileges, so no free checked bag. It's one of those odd cases where "metal flown" doesn't count. It's not an OA codeshare flight operated by A3 - it's actually an OA flight and doesn't carry ANY A3 code - they just happen to be "wet leasing" the aircraft from A3 for that flight. You'll notice the flight numbers are OA3xx, as opposed to OA9xxx which would make it a codeshare operated by A3. Sorry if that's confusing. I think there was another post somewhere by a member that actually called them to argue the case but was unsuccessful.

Technically they shouldn't state that it is "operated by Aegean" because it is NOT. It is actually operated by Olympic in a aircraft with Aegean painted on the outside with a crew borrowed from Aegean. A technicality maybe, but enough to mean you'll have to pay for your checked bag, sorry. Good luck if you decide to argue the finer points of this with them but they are technically in the wrong by stating it is "operated by Aegean" and denying your *A privileges so you might want to try.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Mar 16, 2016 at 2:10 am
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
The problem will be - as this is an OA flight, not A3, you won't get your *A gold privileges, so no free checked bag. It's one of those odd cases where "metal flown" doesn't count. It's not an OA codeshare flight operated by A3 - it's actually an OA flight and doesn't carry ANY A3 code - they just happen to be "wet leasing" the aircraft from A3 for that flight. You'll notice the flight numbers are OA3xx, as opposed to OA9xxx which would make it a codeshare operated by A3. Sorry if that's confusing. I think there was another post somewhere by a member that actually called them to argue the case but was unsuccessful.

Technically they shouldn't state that it is "operated by Aegean" because it is NOT. It is actually operated by Olympic in a aircraft with Aegean painted on the outside with a crew borrowed from Aegean. A technicality maybe, but enough to mean you'll have to pay for your checked bag, sorry. Good luck if you decide to argue the finer points of this with them but they are technically in the wrong by stating it is "operated by Aegean" and denying your *A privileges so you might want to try.
Wait, I'm confused. Last year I flew twice with OA from/to ATH/Greek isles on flex (bought through A3 website, A3 flight numbers on my e-tickets). I had one checked baggage allowed, plus the extra one due to Gold status - just as you would expect with any A3 flight.

Having said that, one thing I do remember is that I was not allowed into the LH lounge, because I was flying a non *A airline - I had to go to A3's lounge.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Well it has an OA flight number but it said operated by Aegean.

So it sounds like Aegean logos on the plane.

Worse comes to worse, I guess I better pay €18 for the checked bag. I could have taken a leisurely ferry or boat but I'm trying to get to Athens early as possible to spend most of the day there before flying back to the US.

So it wouldn't be too much of an additional cost for the time savings, though I'll have to get to CHQ early in the morning too, meaning taking a taxi instead of the much cheaper bus.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:19 am

Programs: A3*G
Originally Posted by blackball
Wait, I'm confused. Last year I flew twice with OA from/to ATH/Greek isles on flex (bought through A3 website, A3 flight numbers on my e-tickets). I had one checked baggage allowed, plus the extra one due to Gold status - just as you would expect with any A3 flight.
Well, are you a A3 *Gold member? M&B is Olympics frequent flyer program too. Other *Gold member might be denied, while A3 *Gold members for sure have an extra piece.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Arrivals
Well, are you a A3 *Gold member? M&B is Olympics frequent flyer program too. Other *Gold member might be denied, while A3 *Gold members for sure have an extra piece.
OK, I just realized wco81 said *A Gold, not M&B Gold. Got it, thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 11:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Just messed up that Aegean's site sell tickets to Aegean-operated flights which only have OA numbers and are ineligible for *A.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:42 pm

Happens even in the best families: Sort of like booking an Air Dolomiti flight on the LH site.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 2:44 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
So it wouldn't be too much of an additional cost for the time savings, though I'll have to get to CHQ early in the morning too, meaning taking a taxi instead of the much cheaper bus.
Sure? How late is your flight?

If its a 06:30 morning flight, there is a 5am KTEL bus to the airport (taking around 25-30 mins) which is perfectly timed for it! When not driving myself, I would always take the bus for the morning ATH-bound flight.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Yes early morning flight.

But I opted to stay in the harbor than by the bus station, to enjoy the view and ambiance.

Heard the bus station was uphill, about a kilometer from the harbor area.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
The distance is about right from the old harbour, but it's all flat and a very straightforward walk. No hills at all! And the KTEL buses are actually timed for A3/OA departures/arrivals, not for charters. I would suggest just to take it in mind, and decide during your stay in wonderful Chania if you feel like taking the bus or a cab!
Old Mar 16, 2016, 6:52 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks, I'm taking the bus from Heraklion to Chania so I'll be able to tell if I can do it like 5 AM in the morning.

It's not the distance it's the luggage I'll be pulling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.