Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2023, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by John Chiefsofstaff
My question is about the 2 flights required on Aegean in order to reach Silver status. Is one return ticket enough or are 2 return tickets required?
2 flights! Just 2 flights, as in 2 legs/segments. A single return ticket is definitely enough for that purpose, but you don't even need a return ticket, you can also fly one way and on a single ticket/booking, just take two different flights (2 different flight numbers) and you're good.

That's a long journey btw, so make sure you don't hit the 35k miles mark with your *A flights in business class before crediting those 2 A3 segments!
Old Dec 17, 2023, 12:14 pm

Programs: QRPC Europium
Originally Posted by giorginho
2 flights! Just 2 flights, as in 2 legs/segments. A single return ticket is definitely enough for that purpose, but you don't even need a return ticket, you can also fly one way and on a single ticket/booking, just take two different flights (2 different flight numbers) and you're good.

That's a long journey btw, so make sure you don't hit the 35k miles mark with your *A flights in business class before crediting those 2 A3 segments!
Thank you kindly for your prompt response. If I get you correctly, I may fly a CDG-ATH-LCA and the 2 flights requirement is fulfilled.
But why is it important that the 2 A3 flights be flown before I get the big chunk of *A airmiles from my trip to SYD?
Old Dec 17, 2023, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by John Chiefsofstaff
Thank you kindly for your prompt response. If I get you correctly, I may fly a CDG-ATH-LCA and the 2 flights requirement is fulfilled.
But why is it important that the 2 A3 flights be flown before I get the big chunk of *A airmiles from my trip to SYD?
Of course CDG-ATH-LCA will suffice!
I didn't say you must take the segments before you fly/get the big chunk of miles of *A miles, I said you need to make sure you don't exceed the 35k mark before taking the 2 Aegean flights.
If you do exceed the 35k before the 2nd Aegean flight, then you'll reach silver and your tier miles will go to zero (plus whatever miles the last flight brought you in excess of the 35k).
But if you only gather, say, 30k miles from *A and then another 4K from the 2 A3 segments, then you'll reach silver with the lower, 12k miles requirement (in this case taking the 2 A3 flights after the big chunk is fine!), leaving you with 22k miles still counting on your way to gold, which, if you then take another 4 A3 flights, will be basically instantly reached at 24k miles! It'd be a huge shame to let those miles go down the drain by first reaching silver at 35k with no A3 flights.
fets_be likes this.

Last edited by giorginho; Dec 17, 2023 at 1:28 pm
Old Dec 18, 2023, 6:50 am

Programs: United 1K
Originally Posted by njwatson32
Does A3 have a conflicting bookings detector that will cancel flights it deems "impossible"? I will be in LCA on Dec 16 and I have a flight out of ATH mid-morning on Dec 17 which I can't miss. I was thinking of buying a flight LCA-ATH on aegeanair.com for the 16th, and redeeming UA miles for the early-morning LCA-ATH flight on Dec 17 (with the intent to cancel the Dec 17 flight assuming the flight on Dec 16 operates without issue). Is that going to trigger any automated detection system?
Following up on this. I did what I proposed above and had no issues. (I even had my UA FF number on the A3 booking.) I cancelled the award booking upon landing in ATH on the 16th.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 7:32 pm

Following up on this. I did what I proposed above and had no issues. (I even had my UA FF number on the A3 booking.) I cancelled the award booking upon landing in ATH on the 16th.
Were those 2 LCA-ATH flights the last one out on the 16th and the first one on the 17th and was there no other scheduled inbound (ATH-LCA) flight in between the two? (otherwise it would certainly not be impossible to make both and since they were 1 day apart, Aegean could also assume you had a different way to go back to lca).

But to add a point, what Aegean's hotline has told me, is that there is an algorithm in place that will double-check if you've booked yourself on the same flight more than once and then it will get complicated (since at least one booking will need to change).
Old Dec 19, 2023, 3:07 am

Programs: A3
6 segments in one day - very do-able!

I'm not sure if the ATH-SKG-ATH resembles other routes regarding "immediate turnarounds", since there are simply so many flights every day, that it's likely it's a different aircraft every time on those back-to-back flights (I did fly same-day ATH-SKG-ATH once and got the same aircraft on both flights, but in my case the outbound was the first out of ATH in the morning and the inbound the second to last out of SKG in the evening).

Assuming you must start at ATH, then you can take the 07:10 flight (08:00 at SKG) and take the 09:10 flight from SKG back (10:05 at ATH). The system even lets you book that in a single ticket (at least it seems it does, I didn't take that dummy booking to the very end to be 100% sure), so you're protected in case of a delay, but the cool thing is, that if you book these in "comfort flex" you can actually change to whatever flight you want on the day of the flight for no additional charge (say you have a night out at ATH and a few drinks or simply decide to sleep a bit longer) and I think for the additional 15€ per segment (over booking flex) it's certainly something to consider (plus you get more miles with that). Anyway, you can then take the 11:30 flight to SKG (it's certainly good to have these 1,5hrs between the 2nd and the 3rd leg, since SKG can get quite foggy in the winter and cause the early flights to be delayed) and back with the 13:05 flight (again, if you feel those 40min in between will cause you to get anxious, you can always book the next flight or book comfort flex and change flights last minute as you go). Of course if you feel that fox might be an issue, then you can always start a couple of hours later (the next possible 4-segments set has you back at ATH at 15:40)

If one goes really hardcore about this, then I believe even 8 segments should be doable (and in the very best case scenario even 10 segments!) in a single day.
Hey all! Wanted to update for the sake of thanking this great community (especially giorginho )! As suggested, I did 3 round trips between ATH and SKG in one day a couple weeks back, completing all my required segments (first two to kick me over into silver and the next four to complete the requirement for gold). I was a little worried about whether it would work as intended given the system delay in crediting my miles and changing my status but it worked out and I am now M+B silver and my home page says I simply need to fly the remaining X miles in order to be upgraded to gold. The whole affair was super easy plus the transfer door and direct boarding from the A3 lounge in SKG made the experience a lot easier on the legs that I had paid 35 EUR for an upgrade! Was also my first time flying A3 and I have to say they are a joy to fly with compared to other European full service carriers (cough cough BA/LX/LH), very friendly crew and even a light meal service in business for a 35 min flight is tough to beat! Many thanks again to giorginho for the tips and jerrychuang for showing that a 6 segment trip to meet the silver & gold requirements could be done!
sokolov and giorginho like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 5:39 am

Not a question but rather something that happened to me recently: Had booked a flight XXX-ATH-SKG. Took the XXX-ATH flight and but did not use the last segment to SKG. I only entered the lounge with the ATH-SKG ticket so I was not expecting any miles for that flight. However, tier + award miles were credited to my account for the flight I did not take (I was only checked-in) as well as the miles for the lounge benefit at ATH. System glitch?
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:22 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nikolask
Not a question but rather something that happened to me recently: Had booked a flight XXX-ATH-SKG. Took the XXX-ATH flight and but did not use the last segment to SKG. I only entered the lounge with the ATH-SKG ticket so I was not expecting any miles for that flight. However, tier + award miles were credited to my account for the flight I did not take (I was only checked-in) as well as the miles for the lounge benefit at ATH. System glitch?
Lucky day!
jerry_greece likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 2:10 pm

Programs: United 1K
Were those 2 LCA-ATH flights the last one out on the 16th and the first one on the 17th and was there no other scheduled inbound (ATH-LCA) flight in between the two? (otherwise it would certainly not be impossible to make both and since they were 1 day apart, Aegean could also assume you had a different way to go back to lca).

But to add a point, what Aegean's hotline has told me, is that there is an algorithm in place that will double-check if you've booked yourself on the same flight more than once and then it will get complicated (since at least one booking will need to change).
It was the first one out on the 17th. It wasn't the last one out on the 16th, but the only later flight back ATH-LCA was operated by A3 as well, so in theory they'd have known I wasn't on that one. I suspect this is something that they'd like to detect in theory, but it's probably not worth implementing in practice.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:14 pm

...{skip}...However, tier + award miles were credited to my account for the flight I did not take (I was only checked-in) as well as the miles for the lounge benefit at ATH. System glitch?
You were credited miles for using the lounge?
jerry_greece likes this.

Last edited by KLouis; Jan 4, 2024 at 7:47 pm
Old Dec 20, 2023, 2:40 am

stuckinadd NICE!!! I didn't actually expect you to do it all in one day, but then again, why not? Great to hear it works as it's supposed to!
Had booked a flight XXX-ATH-SKG. Took the XXX-ATH flight and but did not use the last segment to SKG. I only entered the lounge with the ATH-SKG ticket so I was not expecting any miles for that flight. However, tier + award miles were credited to my account for the flight I did not take (I was only checked-in) as well as the miles for the lounge benefit at ATH. System glitch?
Normally, not only should entering the lounge with a ticket you end up not actually flying NOT grant you any miles for the flight you never actually took, but since you never took that flight, you shouldn't even get the miles for entering the lounge!! At least that is exactly what happened to me this past summer, when I'd entered the lounge with my boarding I was about to use to board and fly, only to have a series of unfortunate circumstances cause me to actually miss boarding (and the flight all together). No miles were credited (not even the lounge benefit).
I always had the impression, that what "triggers" all kinds of miles to credit is your boarding pass getting scanned at the gate, which in a sense is making sure you are actually on the plane (you're then part of the passenger manifest delivered to the crew and are required to be part of the "head count" done on board, otherwise the aircraft isn't departing!
You didn't by any chance walk up to the gate and scan that boarding pass, then walk away, did you?

Anyway, what you did was kind of a risky move, I mean not only skipping a leg, but also using the boarding pass to enter the lounge, while not taking the flight. Had you pulled this move on, say, Lufthansa, you could be getting sued and actually losing the case (not because of the skipped leg, but because of the visit to the lounge), but I'd actually be even more worried if you had a loaded miles+bonus account, as the airline could see themselves in the right to terminate your account. Not to cause panic here, I believe if this is a one-off there won't be consequences, but there are certainly things to consider...
Oh and please do report back, in case Aegean's algorithms somehow pick up on this and delete those falsely credited miles.
Originally Posted by KLouis
You were credited miles for using the lounge?
There's a lounge benefit for gold members in place (I think 200 domestic and 500 intl.) as of May, as they started sending golds with +1 to the Goldair and leaving silvers out entirely (the irony is only the visitors to Aegean's own lounge get the benefit, the ones actually left out lose "twice", since they don't get anything)
It was the first one out on the 17th. It wasn't the last one out on the 16th, but the only later flight back ATH-LCA was operated by A3 as well, so in theory they'd have known I wasn't on that one. I suspect this is something that they'd like to detect in theory, but it's probably not worth implementing in practice.
Yeah it's probably easier to just over-book the flights, accounting for cases like this . But, seriously, you could have flown in a private aircraft back, or take a yacht/speedboat, or whatever, they can't know for sure. Had it been 2 different flights taking place at the same time, then yes, or as I said, booking yourself more than once on the same flight, this they can actually detect (don't know about the former).
Old Dec 20, 2023, 1:30 pm

Programs: A3 *G
I always had the impression, that what "triggers" all kinds of miles to credit is your boarding pass getting scanned at the gate, which in a sense is making sure you are actually on the plane (you're then part of the passenger manifest delivered to the crew and are required to be part of the "head count" done on board, otherwise the aircraft isn't departing!.
I agree. I have no way of knowing of course, but if forced to make a guess I'd say that some member of Goldair staff cheated here - wanted to get home on time or was just worried that they'd made a mistake and deliberately marked you as having boarded so that the flight could depart on time. I know people like to think that this could NEVER happen, but I think it's more likely than some kind of glitch in A3s system awarding you miles when then KNEW you hadn't boarded. Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it. They only way they could possibly come after you would be to admit that they made a BIG breach of security procedures. If they every ask, you WERE on the flight. How could they ever prove otherwise?
giorginho likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 2:01 am

Athens to Navarino /Kalamata

I am trying to get to Navarino this summer for 3 nights at a hotel--
I checked A3 flights to Kalamata and find very few flights,
I am looking to arrive early A.M. 7,8,9:00 AM and leave late back to Athens 6.7.8.9:00 P.M. and all to be none stop.
I can not find any

I see only a 10:35 A.M. to KLX and 11:50 A.M. return to ATH = none stop

Is the schedule I see now, the FULL summer schedule and no additional flights will be added ??
Old Jan 3, 2024, 8:58 am

SPLP007 I personally see no reason for Aegean to even service that route, other than perhaps for its own international connections! It's literally a 2-2,5h drive by car!
So if you absolutely need to be at that location, I'd simply rent a car (it'd probably be cheaper too) and if it's about the miles/segments, then look at SKG, HER etc.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:12 am

Giorginho THANKS for the input

It will be no fun renting and driving about 2 1/2 -3 hours after an 11-hour plane ride and 7 an hour time change --think I will cancel trip

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.