Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
It's not necessarily the easiest but it's certainly not the most difficult one.
Really depends on which carriers and booking classes he flies.
For instance, somebody who flies mostly cheap LH fares will not earn anything in most programs.
Hence, the answer is, as usual, it depends.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
It's not necessarily the easiest but it's certainly not the most difficult one.
Really depends on which carriers and booking classes he flies.
For instance, somebody who flies mostly cheap LH fares will not earn anything in most programs.
Hence, the answer is, as usual, it depends.
i dont think you understood my question, he fly's x class, its a mileage award flight, all he needs is *G for extra luggage and lounges ...
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:05 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AGYB
i dont think you understood my question, he fly's x class, its a mileage award flight, all he needs is *G for extra luggage and lounges ...
I do understand your question.
But to get *G privileges you need to get *G.
And how easy it is to get *G depends on the revenue flights you take.
By flying X awards you'll never get anything.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:15 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
You don't just 'get' *A Gold. You will have to fly a whole bunch of *A paid (not award) flights to get it. Once you have it, you can use the benefits on your award flights too.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Chiller3333
I do understand your question.
But to get *G privileges you need to get *G.
And how easy it is to get *G depends on the revenue flights you take.
By flying X awards you'll never get anything.
so for someone who never fly's revenue, would this be his best option to achieve and maintain *G

Originally Posted by Xandrios
You don't just 'get' *A Gold. You will have to fly a whole bunch of *A paid (not award) flights to get it. Once you have it, you can use the benefits on your award flights too.
i fully understand, thats why im asking if this is the right program to do a mileage run with to get the status, or is there a better option?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:06 pm

There is absolutely no way for somebody like your brother, who never flies "revenue" to ever achieve *G, and even assuming that the status fairy would make him a gift of gold membership, to maintain *G without flying using paid tickets.

But I have a question to you: how does your brother get to fly award flights (only!) if he has no status with any FF programme?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
There is absolutely no way for somebody like your brother, who never flies "revenue" to ever achieve *G, and even assuming that the status fairy would make him a gift of gold membership, to maintain *G without flying using paid tickets.
thats why hes willing to do a mileage run, all im asking is, if this is the best program to do it with?

But I have a question to you: how does your brother get to fly award flights (only!) if he has no status with any FF programme?
credit cards
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:45 pm

thats why hes willing to do a mileage run, all im asking is, if this is the best program to do it with?

credit cards
If you could tell us where he lives, it would make it easier for us to recommend a program for mileage runs. Through which program does he get the credit card reward flights? If he's already earning miles to a Star program via credit cards, maybe he should choose the same program for his mileage runs.

But do note that most programs require that you fly X number of miles each year in order to maintain Star gold status. So, if he only flies on reward tickets paid with miles from credit cards, he will probably have to do a lot of mileage runs each year in order to maintain gold.

Another thing to think about: Award flights in economy is often a waste of points. You mostly want to book business or first class flights as awards. And if you're already flying in biz or first, there's no need for Star gold status.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:21 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
The best way is to redeem for business class tickets. You get the same benefits as *G, unless you get IRROP, then you will be behind *G, and possibly *S in J.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:20 pm

so for someone who never fly's revenue, would this be his best option to achieve and maintain *G

i fully understand, thats why im asking if this is the right program to do a mileage run with to get the status, or is there a better option?
Check LifeMiles. They used to sell *G.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 1:04 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Food offering in lounge at Thessaloniki?

This might have been answered before, but a quick search gave no answer.

Planning our summer vacation now, might have to connect at Thessaloniki (DOM -> A3 INT, *G). At the A* lounge page ( https://en.aegeanair.com/travel-info...rport/lounges/ ) it is explicitly stated for the Athens and Larnaca lounges that food and drinks are served, no such information is given for the Thessaloniki lounge (nor for the "public lounge" at Athens for that matter), but Aegean state that they will "ensure that the passengers will leave the room relaxed, calm and refreshed."

Are drinks/food offered at the lounge at Thessaloniki?

And another question (not having been to either airport before): other factors being equal: which airport would be best for connecting DOM-INT?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 2:41 pm

Answer to first question is yes, and the second one is difficult to answer because it is rather unclear: What do you mean by INT? Schengen countries such as Norway are handled in the same part of the airport as domestic flights. As for the Schengen -> Non-Schengen transfer, no big deal in any Greek airport, just show your passport at the immigration booth and that's it. Finally, there is no such thing as "other factors being equal": You have to consider a) the connection time, b) the flights (e.g. time of the day and c) the price. Then you simply decide.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:03 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Answer to first question is yes, and the second one is difficult to answer because it is rather unclear: What do you mean by INT? Schengen countries such as Norway are handled in the same part of the airport as domestic flights. As for the Schengen -> Non-Schengen transfer, no big deal in any Greek airport, just show your passport at the immigration booth and that's it. Finally, there is no such thing as "other factors being equal": You have to consider a) the connection time, b) the flights (e.g. time of the day and c) the price. Then you simply decide.
Thank you for the answer about the lounge.

As for the connection, I am travelling DOM-Schengen as you correctly assume (though not to Norway). What I am asking about ,are local factors which cannot be assessed without having first-hand knowledge of the airports in question. I wanted to make it clear that I asked about the connection at SKG vs. ATH as such, not prices/timings etc. To exemplify why I am asking. If I travel on Lufthansa, timings and prices are often similar whether connecting at MUC or at FRA. Other factors equal, and unless travelling first class on LH, most experienced LH travellers - certainly I - would recommend connecting at MUC, (tunnel at FRA, often fewer checkpoints between flights at MUC, easier layout of MUC). If connecting at ARN Schengen flights and domestic Swedish flights are at at different terminals, quite a distance apart. At some airports propeller flights (similar to those Olympic use) are at a different terminal from mainline flights, Some airports might security screen all connecting passengers etc.

As I understand you, both airports have domestic and Schengen flights in the same part of the airport, and there are no other local differences that should be noted?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by ksu
Thank you for the answer about the lounge.
I wanted to make it clear that I asked about the connection at SKG vs. ATH as such, not prices/timings etc
Both ATH and SKG are easy enough to transit Domestic to Schengen but I believe you will have to re-clear security at SKG. At ATH you will arrive right into airside departures so will have no formalities and more time to spend in the lounge. You will also have a choice of lounges at ATH (the LH lounge can have better food and drink options etc.). Also, if something goes wrong with your connection, you'll stand a much better chance of being re-routed efficiently at ATH due to the large number of *A flights. About all that SKG has going for it (I don't mean the city, that's GREAT) is direct boarding from the lounge to the aircraft in a dedicated bus - but then again, I think that's only for A3 flights.
Arrivals likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
I believe you will have to re-clear security at SKG.
That's what I expericend when arriving, yes. The bus stops right in front of the terminal at SKG and you enter it at ground level where the baggage claim is located while the departure gates are one level higher behind security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.