Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NWIFlyer
With the evolution of the Miles&Bonus program, there are a number of threads on this forum that contain outdated information, plus a further set that - whilst describing the new program - contain conflicting information that has only been crystallised as we all discover how certain aspects of the program either work or are interpreted.

It is perhaps therefore unsurprising that many new members find searching through this myriad of threads a little daunting, and consequently they post a question in one of the FAQ threads.

This tends to irk those who've been around for a while who expect the new posters to at least do some basic searching before posting a question that has probably been asked many times before. This also causes the forums to become very congested and less easy to read through with the same question being asked and answered many times.

I am therefore creating a thread, which will be stickied, for anyone to ask any question they like about the M&B program where they are unsure or it's not obvious where they should be posting it.

There is no such thing in this thread as a stupid question, no issue with asking a repeat question, and any answers should be 100% flame-free. I will take a dim view of anyone that abuses a member or provides a less than helpful answer (such as 'do a search') to any question asked in here, because this is being created to benefit all of us so the other threads flow more cleanly. Thank you for your co-operation on this.

It might be that I move questions to more appropriate threads so they receive an answer more quickly, but if I do so I will always add a note to indicate where they originated, and ask that the flame-free answer principle be respected.

NWIFlyer
Aegean M&B
Print Wikipost

Flame-Free Questions on A3 - ask your newbie (and not so newbie) questions here

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:15 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Yes, 20000 Miles BIS in E on LH metal yield 30000 miles in M&B, thus enough to requalify for gold. And if you have 4 A3 legs, then 8000 miles BIS is enough.
Away from YYZ likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 4:37 pm

Total noob here, just getting into the game.. I want to get Star Alliance gold status and Aegean seems like the shortest way there..

I am considering a business class LHR-ARN-CPH with SK.. On their website it appears as 2250 points, however I am not sure how this will be credited to Aegean.. Booking fare is A and P which according to wheretocredit gives 200% bonus and 1200 points.. However, I am not sure if this is for each flight segment or for the entire flight.

Also, what would be a good resource to find some mile runs that credit to aegean?

Thanks
Old Mar 17, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by cpio
Total noob here, just getting into the game.. I want to get Star Alliance gold status and Aegean seems like the shortest way there..

I am considering a business class LHR-ARN-CPH with SK.. On their website it appears as 2250 points, however I am not sure how this will be credited to Aegean.. Booking fare is A and P which according to wheretocredit gives 200% bonus and 1200 points.. However, I am not sure if this is for each flight segment or for the entire flight.

Also, what would be a good resource to find some mile runs that credit to aegean?

Thanks
Minimum are always per segment (with the exception of flights that include technical stops).
Hence, your LHR-ARN-CPH trip in SAS Plus (SAS doesn't offer business class within Europe) will give you 2,400 miles.
SK is generally good for mileage runs. Especially in SAS Plus to south east Asia and the states.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:43 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by Chiller3333
Minimum are always per segment (with the exception of flights that include technical stops).
Hence, your LHR-ARN-CPH trip in SAS Plus (SAS doesn't offer business class within Europe) will give you 2,400 miles.
SK is generally good for mileage runs. Especially in SAS Plus to south east Asia and the states.
LHR-ARN is 911 miles (GCMAP) and is credit as 866 miles by SK (real life recent experience). So you would earn (866+600)x2 = 2932 miles.

As Chiller333 said, don't expect business class - SASPlus in Europe is simply a seat towards the front with some free food and drink included (plus lounge access and two free checked bags). You don't even get an empty middle seat on the aircraft.

Also, be aware that there has been talk (for nearly a year now) of SAS earnings on A3 being drastically cut (see this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aege...nings-way.html ). It hasn't happened yet, but I wouldn't be booking tickets more than a few weeks in advance if I were particularly looking for the miles.

Last edited by Knobbgb; Mar 18, 2019 at 12:51 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:14 am

Originally Posted by Knobbgb
LHR-ARN is 911 miles (GCMAP) and is credit as 866 miles by SK (real life recent experience). So you would earn (866+600)x2 = 2932 miles.
So, this is where I get a bit confused.. The wheretocredit says that the bonus miles is 200% so I assume this translates to the 2932 miles you mentioned and these are the tier miles, while the award miles would be the 1200*4 segments miles..

If I understand things correctly, in order to get to silver initially, I would need 12000 tier miles and 2 aegean flights.. So then the award miles are just used to book different award flights and seat upgrades? Are they irrelevant in your tier calculation?

Also, this thing is a bit confusing from their website: To reach the Silver Tier, all you need to do is fly Aegean or Olympic Air at least twice and earn 12,000 Tier Miles within 12 months or collect a total 24,000 Tier Miles, regardless of which airline you choose to fly with. Whichever you do first will get you there.

How is this 24000 tier miles limit calculated? I have flown with United and Lufthansa before, but I have already credited those miles to their respective programs.. I assume that Aegean has no way to aggregate all the miles across all the Star Alliance members so where this 24.000 tier miles actually come from?

I would very much love to find a resource that explains the basics, but it seems like everyone just assumes you know these basics..

Thanks for all your help, much appreciated
Old Mar 18, 2019, 4:38 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

In A3 you earn the same amount of tier and award miles for flights on partner. So in that scenario you earn 2932 tier miles and 2932 award miles.
You are correct: award miles are basically a currency used to book award flights, upgrades or non flying goods and services. They are irrelevant for the tier calculation.

You need to have 24000 miles regardless of which airline you fly but those needs to be credited to A3, not to other programs. So if you book Lufthansa you need to enter your A3 number at booking to get the miles. There are no aggregation possible across various accounts, even for the same alliance. You mention you have accounts with United and Lufthansa: in general, except if you are a really very frequent flyer (>150 flights a year) you are always better off with one program only per alliance and credit all your flights to this program.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Knobbgb
Thanks for the correction. My gut feeling told me that LHR-ARN would be shorter than 600 miles. But now that you pointed it out I remember how far east Stockholm is.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
You need to have 24000 miles regardless of which airline you fly but those needs to be credited to A3, not to other programs. So if you book Lufthansa you need to enter your A3 number at booking to get the miles.
That makes sense.. so for silver status, I either fly 12000 miles on actual Aegean flights or 24000 miles redeemed via any partner..
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:02 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Not exactly.
For Silver you need to have 12000 miles and 2 Aegean flights. The 12000 does not have to be 100% from Aegean.
Or 24 000 miles and 0 or 1 Aegean flight.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by fransknorge
For Silver you need to have 12000 miles and 2 Aegean flights.
Or, to be more exact, 12,000 miles including the miles which you will receive from 2 or more A3/OA flights.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 2:35 am

HI there. Just wanting to check if there is any way to keep an A3 account alive without flying? Or a Greek credit card. This is for a family member who has a bunch of miles but hasn't accrued for "a while" and the 60 month deadline is getting closer. TIA
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:36 am

Programs: Miles&Bonus *G
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
HI there. Just wanting to check if there is any way to keep an A3 account alive without flying? Or a Greek credit card. This is for a family member who has a bunch of miles but hasn't accrued for "a while" and the 60 month deadline is getting closer. TIA
There's Alpha bank's Aegean Bonus VISA. M&B membership is not cancelled, as long as you are a cardholder: https://en.aegeanair.com/conditions-...8-81d5deacc121

However, not straightforward to get unless you have residency in Greece: Aegean Visa Card
Old Mar 19, 2019, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by blackball
There's Alpha bank's Aegean Bonus VISA. M&B membership is not cancelled, as long as you are a cardholder: https://en.aegeanair.com/conditions-...8-81d5deacc121

However, not straightforward to get unless you have residency in Greece: Aegean Visa Card
Thanks - I suspect taking a flight will be much easier than obtaining that card without Greek residence (which they don't have).
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by ukflyer1
Won't a points purchase work for this?
Old Mar 19, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by yurtripper
Won't a points purchase work for this?
No, you have to earn the points by actually flying, although the link just posted seems to imply that the credit card would work too. Purchased tier miles will NOT keep an inactive account alive.

If this is someone that hasn't flown a creditable flight for five years then I tend to think they don't really need a M&B account anyway. Just let it lapse but first transfer the miles to a family member or friend. This can either be done by a Together account (for free) if the friend is Silver or Gold, or by paying 15 Euro to make the transfer to ANY other M&B account (maximum 50,000 miles per year).

https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...ransfer-miles/
yurtripper likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.