Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 1:08 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
@hydrogen, check your reservation here: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plnext/XCMTXXNS/RetrievePNR.action;jsessionid=gSMsii0NJR5uz2-WP7GmCFezEk-pilYgYGlCSUSkAn0VcX2gENwX!-370259468!1566012129?LANGUAGE=GB&SITE=XCMTXXNS
checkmytrip will show you the status for each flight, usually you will see a separate flight for business class legs you applied for upgrade with status Waitlisted and the original ones as confirmed.
Old May 4, 2018, 2:56 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Checkmytrip classic doesn't work since some time last year though, or am i missing something?
Old May 4, 2018, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by GBobon
@hydrogen, check your reservation here: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plnext/XCMTXXNS/RetrievePNR.action;jsessionid=gSMsii0NJR5uz2-WP7GmCFezEk-pilYgYGlCSUSkAn0VcX2gENwX!-370259468!1566012129?LANGUAGE=GB&SITE=XCMTXXNS
checkmytrip will show you the status for each flight, usually you will see a separate flight for business class legs you applied for upgrade with status Waitlisted and the original ones as confirmed.
@GBobon nope, link doesn't work as Xandrios said.

I think checkmytrip works via iPhone app though. Let me check there...

UPDATE: CMT via iPhone shows waitlist for 1 trip but not for the other. For the one it doesn't, I called A3 earlier today and they said I was on the waitlist. So not sure who to believe...
Old May 4, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by hydrogen
So I have 2 bookings. Both have waitlisted segments. One looks like this and the other does not.

Called Aegean and they told me that the one that does not look like the above pic is waitlisted. So not sure what to make of the above pic and statement in terms of accuracy...
As an update to my original post: At 48hrs before departure, once online check-in was open, the booking reverted to looking like a normal booking with only the K class segment showing. We assumed my friend would NOT be upgraded and so she purchased extra luggage allowance as she had a second bag. At the airport she was upgraded at check-in anyway, which was mildly annoying as the luggage was the main reason we'd tried for the upgrade. She said there were only two other people in three rows (12 seats) of C class, so I don't see why the upgrade couldn't have been done earlier. I guess this is a consequence of the new 'bid' system. The check-in agent said she should complain and try to get a refund for the extra 30 Euro paid for the second bag, but she isn't going to bother as she was just happy to be upgraded,
Old May 5, 2018, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Checkmytrip classic doesn't work since some time last year though, or am i missing something?
Originally Posted by hydrogen
@GBobon nope, link doesn't work as Xandrios said.
I dont have any problems opening now my A3 bookings there, or any other bookings from airlines that use Amadeus...

LE: propper link: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...NS&LANGUAGE=GB
Old May 5, 2018, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert
I did insist, but it was just going in circles, they kept mentioning that it was a special OTA fare that they cannot touch and not able to upgrade. So I don't know how to further argue as I did also state the rules clearly on the GoLight fare rules, but both agents just insisted that it is not possible - and you know how difficult it is to argue logic and rules with A3 agents, they are quite strict and will never budge from their standpoint/position no matter what rules you throw at them.
Anyway I am satisfy since about 2 weeks out I still managed to get a reasonable fare to ATH. (My mistake that I did not plan earlier to get better fares)

I now feel that it is quite dangerous to buy tickets from OTA if you plan to upgrade since you never know what is special and what is not even the booking class does not fall into their "forbidden" category.

Cheers!
This is one of the risks of going with an OTA. Because honestly, indeed, we do not know what kind of deal that OTA has with A3. They may very well have some kind of agreement which does indeed make this a special fare. I'd agree with you and say that OTA bookings always have a degree of risk of not being able to upgrade.

In the same way I once booked an Aegean fare which turned out to be some kind of 'seaman' special fare - discounted tickets meant to be for, well, people that work at sea (and have to reposition using flights). I'm still thinking that the OTA sold me that fare against the rules though, and that would probably be a special case. I didn't try to upgrade that as it happened before the coupons were introduced.

Thanks! That works indeed. I was under the impression that Checkmytrip classic ceased to exist, however it seems they still have an AMEX version available. Its just that their mainpage now redirects to the checkmytrip app (which, for me, is a bit of a useless tool - I much prefer tripit which supports all airlines and has an API for external access).
GBobon and yurtripper like this.

Last edited by Xandrios; May 5, 2018 at 4:21 am
Old May 8, 2018, 4:12 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thanks! That works indeed. I was under the impression that Checkmytrip classic ceased to exist, however it seems they still have an AMEX version available. Its just that their mainpage now redirects to the checkmytrip app (which, for me, is a bit of a useless tool - I much prefer tripit which supports all airlines and has an API for external access).
Xandrios, can you tell us a bit about how you use Tripit for this kind of thing? I'm considering using Tripit now that MyFlights is dead and checkmytrip defunct. Are you using the Tripit Pro version? AFAIK, the non-pro version is just a convenient app for storing details of flights, hotels, etc. I've never had an ExpertFlyer subscription so don't know Tripit Pro might compare against it.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by yurtripper
AFAIK, the non-pro version is just a convenient app for storing details of flights, hotels, etc. I've never had an ExpertFlyer subscription so don't know Tripit Pro might compare against it.
That's correct, that is basically what it is. However Checkmytrip offers pretty much the same functionality right?

I use it to import all my flights into the app, and have a home-made program that uses the API to retrieve and calculate statistics and other interesting facts from there.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:33 am

Im keeping all my flights in Inbox (gmail) + JetItUp. from Inbox all trips are automatically imported in Google Trips, great app!
Old May 24, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
I booked BRU-BEY with transfer in ATH today and called Aegean to upgrade all 4 stretches.
She told me BRU-ATH-BEY is not available in business and I asked to be waitlisted.
She upgraded the return trip. I do not see any proof in CMT that it is waitlisted. Should I call again?

Old May 29, 2018, 2:52 am

I'm trying to use my upgrade coupons for the first time. I have a ticket with three legs, TLV-LCA-ATH-ARN, and I tried upgrading the first and the last leg using two coupons. For the first leg, both A3 and UA online shows plenty of availability, but the lady on the phone said that it's waiting list only. So, is this a case of HUACA, or should I just wait patiently for this problem to sort out?

Also, what are the chances for an ATH-ARN waitlist to clear during the summer? There's also wide availability on the second flight, LCA-ATH, so maybe I'm better off upgrading that leg?
Old May 29, 2018, 4:17 am

How are you checking for availability? You will need I-class, which equals an award booking. Are business class awards available for these specific flights?
Old May 29, 2018, 4:21 am

if you let me know the date youre travelling I can check the availability on expertflyer
Old May 29, 2018, 4:35 am

How are you checking for availability? You will need I-class, which equals an award booking. Are business class awards available for these specific flights?
I checked both UA's booking engine for business saver awards, and A3's online booking for award tickets.
if you let me know the date youre travelling I can check the availability on expertflyer
Thanks, I'll send you a PM.
Old May 29, 2018, 6:22 am

Thats odd. I haven't come across any flight with business award availability that was not eligible for an upgrade. Perhaps indeed call back and try again?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.