Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Gnopps
*** MOD NOTE: Please do not remove ***

A friendly reminder that Flyertalk is not a marketplace, and nothing may be offered (or solicited) for sale or barter within the general forums - which includes offering vouchers for free. For those with sufficient posts and length of membership, trading/exchange is allowed solely within Coupon Connection, and then only in accordance with the specific rules of that forum.

Please do not attempt to solicit, sell or trade upgrade vouchers within this forum. Posts will be deleted and the members concerned potentially subject to disciplinary action. **Please note that this includes directly using the PM system to do so without first posting in Coupon Connection**. Thanks for your co-operation.
A3 provides all Gold members with four vouchers for upgrade from Economy to Business. Silver members get two upgrade vouchers.

Criteria
  • You must be travelling on A3 or OA metal - codeshares are not included.
  • The original ticket must be issued on either A3 (390) or OA (050) ticket stock.
  • Only revenue (paid) tickets, in fare classes other than U, P & T on a GoLight fare basis, can be upgraded, but not redemption tickets.
  • All flights on the ticket must be on A3 or OA metal.
  • There must be award availability in I-class for the upgrades to clear. You can check this by logging in to M&B then going to https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon...t/spend-miles/ The results page will initially be a calendar. To see Business availability, you have to click through to the next step. (You can also use a free or paid tool such as ANA website, UA website (looking for saver award space), Aeroplan, AwardNexus or ExpertFlyer to check for availability.)
  • One coupon per person per journey leg is required - so, for example, TXL-ATH-SKG and return via the same route would require four coupons per person.
  • Anyone can be upgraded using the coupons - you do not have to be travelling on the same booking or even the same plane.

Procedure
  • Call A3 to request the upgrade. The phone numbers are listed at https://aegeanairlines.custhelp.com/ (most of them should go to the same call centre in Greece).
  • If successful, a new ticket will be issued (with a new number). The PNR will remain unchanged.
  • You are liable for any extra taxes applicable to Business Class (e.g. APD from the UK). Sometimes this gets charged, sometimes it doesn't - if it's due and you're not charged because the agent forgets, you've just been lucky.
  • If there's no immediate I-class availability, you can ask to be waitlisted for upgrade. The ability to waitlist was reported to have been removed in August 2016, but was again possible in September. Check with the agent - option available on May 2018.
    • in case you requested to be waitlisted for upgrade and want to check if the customer care agent made the changes on your booking you can check the reservation on checkmytrip.com (click here), the leg you requested the upgrade will be shown here as ”Waitlisted”.
  • If you wish to upgrade one segment of a multi-segment trip (e.g. XXX-ATH-YYY) and there is availability on the leg you wish to upgrade, you may still have to be waitlisted due to married segment issues. The process of clearing the waitlist is somewhat confusing and may result in frustration due to the availability seeming to disappear but in reality, this may mean that the segments have been "unmarried" and the availability has been allocated to your reservation. See post 2272 and the update in post 2294 for more details.

Benefits
  • No matter what the fare basis of the original ticket, you receive full Business Class benefits after upgrade.
  • This includes lounge access (useful if you're upgrading someone other than yourself who has no status, or if you've run out of Silver lounge vouchers) and full baggage allowance (it applies for first leg as well, in case you are upgraded only on the 2nd leg of your trip - confirmed on the etix).
  • Because the ticket books as a redemption, the free car hire is not included.

Mileage/segment earning
  • You will earn at the underlying rate of your purchased ticket in economy, not at a business class rate. Because status miles are awarded, this also counts as a segment for re-qualification purposes.
  • The flights may credit automatically, but may take longer to credit than tickets that have not been changed. They may also credit as 0 miles, and later change to the correct rate. If the flights have not credited properly after a few weeks then calling A3 will rectify this rapidly.

Expiry
  • The vouchers expire at the end of your membership year - they do not carry over, even if status is retained. A new set is issued every year.
  • It is the date when you use the voucher that matters. It can upgrade a flight that takes place after expiry as long as you apply the voucher before.
  • On upgrade from Silver to Gold, any remaining Silver upgrade coupons expire, but they are replaced by four Gold ones which expire at the end of the Gold membership year.

BEWARE
  • Once you have upgraded your seat, your ticket will be reissued. Suddenly, this ticket may be VERY expensive to change. If, for instance, you later decide to travel on a different date, you will probably be required to rebook into Business, even if Economy was available for new bookings. A3 will charge you the difference from your original Economy fare to a NEW Business fare. Plus fees, taxes and whatnot. Update 18/08/2021: this appears to no longer be the case, as an upgraded ticket was changed and the underlying Economy fare was used for the upgraded segments. The coupon was "removed" from the old dates and "reapplied" to the new dates.
  • Coupons will not be returned/reinstated. Once a coupon is applied, it is gone for good (the T&Cs printed on the coupons allow for date and time changes, but not route changes).
  • If you want to provide your coupons to upgrade a friend's travel, it is advisable to call in yourself. Your friend can call in if they know your name, birthdate, M&B-number and the email address associated with your account. That means: Anyone who knows these particulars can use your coupons without your knowledge. They do NOT need the coupon numbers.
  • Crediting upgraded segments to another program will likely fail, as it will be reported as I-class. It may be possible to retro-claim the miles.
Print Wikipost

Seat upgrade coupons

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2018, 4:52 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Just want to check with others before calling - I should be able to coupon-upgrade a ticket where the first leg is in B class (GOLIGHT) and the second is in P, right?

I could book the second leg in S for an extra GBP 46, but there is no business cabin on that flight anyway.

Based on recent posts, I will have to be waitlisted since there is no availability but there is a good chance of getting upgraded in the end.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 9:21 pm

All "wrong" but still basically correct! You don't upgrade a ticket with a coupon but an individual flight. In other words, had your second leg had a business class cabin, you would have needed two coupons for the whole itinerary. At any rate, practically you are fine with the first leg in B, that is upgradable. Call them to be put on the waiting list and... wait!
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:01 am

So if I have NOT received an upgrade email at T-3, what am I supposed to do?

Does that mean I will be sitting in Y?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:08 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Go to the check in (or ticketing) desk - I believe that nowadays they can upgrade to any available seat in the cabin.

Last edited by Xandrios; Jun 13, 2018 at 10:14 am
Old Jun 13, 2018, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Go to the check in (or ticketing) desk - I believe that nowadays they can upgrade to any available seat in the cabin.
So it will not clear prior to check in?
The flight is C1Y7 🙁
EF shows 3 C seats blocked.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 11:40 am

Hold on, with T-3 you mean three days before departure? I read that as three hours before departure..

With three days still to go chances are that the waitlist may still clear.
Old Jun 13, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Hold on, with T-3 you mean three days before departure? I read that as three hours before departure..

With three days still to go chances are that the waitlist may still clear.
Oh sorry, my error. Everyone seems to report that the waitlist automatically clears if there is positive C space at T-72hours so I was wondering what I should do. But it seems like that is not the case?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 2:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hydrogen
Oh sorry, my error. Everyone seems to report that the waitlist automatically clears if there is positive C space at T-72hours so I was wondering what I should do. But it seems like that is not the case?
To use Seat Upgrade Coupon, it must have I inventory. So if there are 3 C fare classes but 0 I fare class it would not work. No I fare class inventory available, no seat upgrade coupon. It is as simple as black and white. This is in the terms and condition. Although not happened to me yet, but I would assume people would sit in Y class if no I fare class available although the aircraft have 1-2 physical business class seats empty.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:12 am

Originally Posted by chongcao
To use Seat Upgrade Coupon, it must have I inventory. So if there are 3 C fare classes but 0 I fare class it would not work. No I fare class inventory available, no seat upgrade coupon. It is as simple as black and white. This is in the terms and condition. Although not happened to me yet, but I would assume people would sit in Y class if no I fare class available although the aircraft have 1-2 physical business class seats empty.
Yes, I am well aware of the I class availability requirement. I just assumed that at T-72h, A3 converts positive C space to I if someone is on the waitlist.

As per Xandrios’ post upthread, it sounds like A3 will not let people sit in Y if there are physical C seats available.

T-24h now and C0 (3 blocked on EF). Looks like I’ll prepare myself for Y.
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:44 am

There was a discussion some time ago further up the thread about this; I believe the new rules are that if there are physical seats available a few hours before departure - you can upgrade using the coupon. Only requirement is that your economy fare allows upgrading (ie no PUT GoLight fare).
Old Jun 15, 2018, 2:51 am

Programs: A3 Gold
Does anyone have experience availability for coupons on A3602 (ATH-LHR) since the new bid upgrade system came in? I fly this flight every few months on a Friday and usually manage to use a coupon to upgrade.

I've just been put on the waiting list (2 weeks before my flight is scheduled). Expert Flyer seat map shows 4 rows of business class with 5 seats currently available for this flight. My booking class is S and I'm travelling alone. When I check the big upgrade system, the first leg of my flight (to ATH) allows bids, but the ATH-LHR sector (on the same day) isn't accepting bids.

I don't mind if I don't get to use the coupon - just interested in what people think the chances are for this flight.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 4:53 am

Just as an update - went to the check in desk and they said C was booked full. So I ended up sitting in Y.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: A3 *G & FB G
I was wondering; if I upgrade my father who's travelling by himself and he gets waitlisted and has to inform at the gate, he will not get the business class benefits such as fast track and lounge access or will he?
Old Jun 18, 2018, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by unusualtravelblog
I was wondering; if I upgrade my father who's travelling by himself and he gets waitlisted and has to inform at the gate, he will not get the business class benefits such as fast track and lounge access or will he?
It would be my understanding that, you are correct, he would NOT unless he was already eligible for said benefits via status or some other mechanism.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 9:02 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I'm on the waiting list for my flight tomorrow but no confirmation of upgrade received.

I am able to choose seats in C (as well as an up front seat for free on the connecting economy flight) in Manage Booking

But when I go to online check-in I have been allocated middle seats down the back, which I can also change but only to the regular selection for free. If I don't get upgraded then I want to choose a better Y seat, obviously.

So should I check in online in Y, or wait until the airport? Do I need to arrive earlier than usual (it's a flight to ATH so don't know whether the staff will be that familiar with the process?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.