Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by bdaviskc
Was at the Orchid for 7 nights (arriving back in Kansas City this weekend just in time for 8 inches of snow--literally started falling within hours of pulling in the driveway!) Trip was great--upon check in we were upgraded from partial ocean view to ocean view---I simply asked and they said no problem, happy to provide a complimentary one level upgrade for FPC members.
If you don't mind me asking, what level FPC member are you? Do you have a lot of activity on your account?

I'm headed to the Fairmont Orchid next week. I only joined FPC just prior to making the reservation. I am wondering if should ask for an upgrade, or if they are only given to members with higher status/activity levels.

Thanks!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Basic

Originally Posted by krameda
If you don't mind me asking, what level FPC member are you? Do you have a lot of activity on your account?

I'm headed to the Fairmont Orchid next week. I only joined FPC just prior to making the reservation. I am wondering if should ask for an upgrade, or if they are only given to members with higher status/activity levels.

Thanks!
Basic member--only 2 nights with Fairmont last year! I am as basic/lowly as you can get--frankly, I was amazed at how well they treated me. Separate line for check in, discounts etc, all for joining the club basically. It works though--I will look for Fairmont as an option on my next trip! Wish they had one in Tokyo, headed there next month.

Definitely ask--look for Kathy at the front desk--she is great!!!!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Look for Christian at the beach (waiter), good guy. Tell him Mr. Davis (the mountain biker) sent you! We just did Kona Village for luaus--lots of other evening activities (Hilo late one night due to Volcano Park visit, night manta ray snorkel--wow was that cool!!! Kona one night etc)

Enjoy!
How did you like Kona Village.. we've been but the time we went was inside because it was raining.. got a discount on the luau that night.. so we're planning to go to Kona Village only if its outside this next time. Which restaurant did you stop in at Hilo?.. was it the pancake house.. awesome place, but wife thinks its low end food.. Orchid recommended it to us and we ate there the last three times we stayed over. Where did you guys eat in Kona?
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:40 am

Info

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
How did you like Kona Village.. we've been but the time we went was inside because it was raining.. got a discount on the luau that night.. so we're planning to go to Kona Village only if its outside this next time. Which restaurant did you stop in at Hilo?.. was it the pancake house.. awesome place, but wife thinks its low end food.. Orchid recommended it to us and we ate there the last three times we stayed over. Where did you guys eat in Kona?
KV was good--we did the Wed night show. It was a bit 'different' from the traditional/stereotypical luau as it covered many historical periods/developments in the islands so costumes varied wildly (from just the traditional hula skirt etc)---Somoan fire juggler/dance guy was good. We were definitely outside--nice setup they have for the performance.

We actually ate big lunch on the Hilo side at Lava Rock Cafe (or something like that) in Volcano Village--food was fine (not great, but not bad). Funny quote--I asked about the "fresh fish of the day" sandwich and was told it was "whatever was available that morning at the grocery store in the freezer section"---?????? I went with the teriyaki chicken (good, but heavy on the sauce). In Kona--hit Slider's (great burgers--breadfast supposedly good as well) and Quinn's--good fish, nothing super fancy. Didn't eat there, but heard "Bite Me" fish market is great (they close at 7 PM though)--prices looked very reasonable. This place is right by the harbor just south of the airport (not Kilua--North of there)--can't recall the name at the moment, think it starts with an "H" Also hit the shave ice place on the corner just down from Slider's and next door to the Internet Cafe. Great stuff!

Closer to the Fairmont--head over to King's/Queen's shops in Waikaloa--Macaroni Grill is good (chain place--we didn't eat there as we have them around here) and Merriman's Market Cafe--shrimp/garlic pizza is very good.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Mar 23, 2010, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
KV was good--we did the Wed night show. It was a bit 'different' from the traditional/stereotypical luau as it covered many historical periods/developments in the islands so costumes varied wildly (from just the traditional hula skirt etc)---Somoan fire juggler/dance guy was good. We were definitely outside--nice setup they have for the performance.

We actually ate big lunch on the Hilo side at Lava Rock Cafe (or something like that) in Volcano Village--food was fine (not great, but not bad). Funny quote--I asked about the "fresh fish of the day" sandwich and was told it was "whatever was available that morning at the grocery store in the freezer section"---?????? I went with the teriyaki chicken (good, but heavy on the sauce). In Kona--hit Slider's (great burgers--breadfast supposedly good as well) and Quinn's--good fish, nothing super fancy. Didn't eat there, but heard "Bite Me" fish market is great (they close at 7 PM though)--prices looked very reasonable. This place is right by the harbor just south of the airport (not Kilua--North of there)--can't recall the name at the moment, think it starts with an "H" Also hit the shave ice place on the corner just down from Slider's and next door to the Internet Cafe. Great stuff!

Closer to the Fairmont--head over to King's/Queen's shops in Waikaloa--Macaroni Grill is good (chain place--we didn't eat there as we have them around here) and Merriman's Market Cafe--shrimp/garlic pizza is very good.

Enjoy your trip!
Merrimans keeps popping up.. we might have to stop by and try it either at the Kings/Queens shop or Wiamea. I heard the Wednesday night and Friday night at KV is different.. sounds like its probably worth to hit it up both nights. Glad to hear you enjoyed the trip.. enjoy the awesome winter back!
Old Mar 24, 2010, 1:10 am
Suspended

Sorry dudes! Packing most of the night here.. anyways, a bit frustrating as I called the Orchid today who forwarded me to the front desk manager.. they forgot to honor a request for the north tower.. which is key to the stay. Already having to change rooms, so that we can finally get into the north tower by staying one night in the south tower. In addition, he said OV suite is available for add'l $100 per night, and we would have to 3 rooms. ugh! Bit frustrated, I mean we're going to travel 7 hours on plane, 12 hours with layover.. and the Orchid dropped the ball. They've already reserved all the rooms for the guests, and us having been there now the fourth time, and Platinum members.. all I can say is wow! Platinum members and loyal to this hotel.. last in line, and taking over the leftovers. Now we're going to have to switch rooms from the South Tower to the North Tower.. and they've not in so many words but basically told me to pay for their mistake. IMO, not so easy with 2 kids, one being a 3 month old. Our entire family will be dead tired and adjusting to time change and room change. ugh.

A bit of background.. this is our fourth stay at this hotel.. and nothing short of exceptional when the old operations executive was around. We've always stayed in the north tower.

So having booked via Platinum status and loyal throughout the years and getting treated junior, I'm a bit afraid for my family right off the bat.. We've booked a couple of months ahead, and concierge has made the requests to the hotel.. We're thinking maybe should have booked the entire trip at the Kea Lani. Never had a problem, always first class there.. confident when we book there we have an exceptional stay, with surprise upgrades. Right now 0 confidence in the future for us at the Orchid. Sorry, had to vent.. trying to stay positive. We'll see what happens.. I'll post from the hotel..

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Mar 24, 2010 at 1:26 am
Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Right now 0 confidence in the future for us at the Orchid. Sorry, had to vent.. trying to stay positive. We'll see what happens.. I'll post from the hotel..
Sorry to hear things are going wrong before you´ve arrived. Hope things will turn out fine and you´ll have a great three-week vacation on Hawaii!
Old Mar 24, 2010, 7:17 am

Bummer

Sorry dudes! Packing most of the night here.. anyways, a bit frustrating as I called the Orchid today who forwarded me to the front desk manager.. they forgot to honor a request for the north tower.. which is key to the stay. Already having to change rooms, so that we can finally get into the north tower by staying one night in the south tower. In addition, he said OV suite is available for add'l $100 per night, and we would have to 3 rooms. ugh! Bit frustrated, I mean we're going to travel 7 hours on plane, 12 hours with layover.. and the Orchid dropped the ball. They've already reserved all the rooms for the guests, and us having been there now the fourth time, and Platinum members.. all I can say is wow! Platinum members and loyal to this hotel.. last in line, and taking over the leftovers. Now we're going to have to switch rooms from the South Tower to the North Tower.. and they've not in so many words but basically told me to pay for their mistake. IMO, not so easy with 2 kids, one being a 3 month old. Our entire family will be dead tired and adjusting to time change and room change. ugh.

A bit of background.. this is our fourth stay at this hotel.. and nothing short of exceptional when the old operations executive was around. We've always stayed in the north tower.

So having booked via Platinum status and loyal throughout the years and getting treated junior, I'm a bit afraid for my family right off the bat.. We've booked a couple of months ahead, and concierge has made the requests to the hotel.. We're thinking maybe should have booked the entire trip at the Kea Lani. Never had a problem, always first class there.. confident when we book there we have an exceptional stay, with surprise upgrades. Right now 0 confidence in the future for us at the Orchid. Sorry, had to vent.. trying to stay positive. We'll see what happens.. I'll post from the hotel..

Sorry to hear that!! If you get there and still need help, seek out Kathy at the front desk (believe she is a manager)--she was excellent for us in getting some other folks moved/shuffled and us into a nice upgrade in "North" tower. Crossing my fingers for you, I know how you will feel after that long flight!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:27 am
Suspended

Hey, finally arrived late last night at the Fairmont Orchid. On the plane ride tried to keep perspective.. we're here, and whats important is family and enjoying the stay. Anyways, we're goint to make the move today. Room 1551 Gardenview Suite is actually pretty nice. You can actually see a bit of the ocean to the right. Pretty clean and spacious. Only problem is when we were checking in and was walking through the halls, we smell smokiing (weird as the signs I've observed were all non smoking) so we've got to change rooms to the north tower anyways today. If anybody can stand the smoking at the South tower, then this would be a nice room for you.

First class check in. Met some of the staff we knew over the years. One guy even high fived me coming in. Staff seems attentive.. I've heard some where they changed out management recently.. but they all seemed service oriented. The front desk manager who is also the fpc manager at the hotel (takes care of the fpcers) will only switch you around the category of suite you booked.. that is so far in my experience, even if there is an oversight and mistake on their behalf. Anyways, can't get out of the South Tower soon enough today. I would like to see my wife happy, and not have to worry about the smoking happening. She's worried for her and the two kids.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Sorry guys.. trying to settle down to this time change and finally getting a chance to post.. Lots of work with a couple of kids now, but looked at my infant son at brekkie today and it was worth it.. Anyways, we're still at the Orchid.

The free night cert applies from my memory to a Fairmont level room.. so applying a suite upgrade to it only gets you a partial ocean view suite at the Kea Lani. I checked with reservations, the hotel will not let us plats pay the difference and they're quite strict.. In fact, the reservations manager told Shelley that hotel policy nowadays than there are no further upgrades at check-in if the hotel has already granted guaranteed upgrades at check-in is no longer. We've been to Hawaii now six times over the past 7 years, and am a bit baffled that they are treating Plat members the way they do. Basically, on public websites, you can get free breakfast, amenity, guaranteed upgrade, etc. just by booking with them. I checked their package prices and its' exactly what they offer on fairmont.com. So why be a plat member, qualify, and be treated the way we do?.. when you go on a public website and basically better? Like, why would we qualify for plat, spend our certificates when we can book with these preferred partners and get a better deal? Anyways, I would have thought that would further upgrade at check-in for plats, but have the heads up straight from the hotel, and the FPC desk, that they absolutely will not treat plats better than the public, and that is now hotel policy.

Found out why the level of service at the Orchid has went south a bit for Plats. Orchid has this Ali'i program and basically for $2,100 per year, you pay $199 per night, and time of check-in the front desk will let you check into the best suite, including OF Suite, that is available. I imagine that the policy has changed at Kea Lani too because of some sort of program I haven't come accross with. Basically, beware right now of the new policy changes in Hawaii.. it seems like both hotels may be shifting to some of pre-paid loyalty program that is apart from the FPC program, and is putting pressure on the FPC members not getting the room upgrades experienced as in the past. I'm not saying that there won't be upgrades, with the suites, don't expect much. This Ali'i program is plugging up the system, and I've heard that the Ali'i members have priority over Platinum members of Fairmont.

Anyways, enough with the negative.. will concentrate on my infants' son vacation, and trying to make it special for my family. Aloha!

Transferred/copied above from the Kea Lani thread because part of the post was Orchid.

Anyways, a nice touch just happened while in the room at Orchid, a gentlemen knocked on my door with what looked like an amenity.. I said we already received an amenity on our first day.. he says that for those clients who stay 10 nights or more gets their fruit amenity refreshed everyday.. Having missed two days not getting this amenity refreshed, I still found this to be a bonus. Nice touch.. keep it up Orchid!^

Last edited by Ancien Maestro; Mar 27, 2010 at 8:25 pm
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:45 pm

Enjoy the trip!

Anyways, enough with the negative.. will concentrate on my infants' son vacation, and trying to make it special for my family. Aloha!
_^

Key is right there---enjoy the trip, you are in Hawaii. Enjoy it for those of us who aren't!! Bummer on the program changes, but maybe some calls/inquiries can help once you get back of course!! Enjoy it and let us know how the trip pans out (once you get back). ^
Old Mar 28, 2010, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Best night last night so far on the trip! Four Seasons - Surf Sand and Stars.. Incredible.. I had 9 lobster tails, 2 steaks, sword fish, ribs, huli chicken, sashimi/unagi/sushi.. went in hungry, went away happy! My wife had 6 lobster tails, and she's like a size 0.. good girl.. go for the good stuff. Anyway, the coast at Four Seasons Hualalai reminds me so much of Wailea.. just the perfect place on earth to sit, relax and enjoy the sunset. The waves were incredible.. and the scenic ocean front heaven on earth.

Will do Ruth's Chris Prime Time tonite.. will probably do Mauna Kea Clam Bake.. maybe the Kona Village Luau this next Friday..
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:09 am
Suspended

Achieved a very DEEEEEP ALOHA through an Ocean Front Massage.. a must do if you end up down here. The package is called "You Deserve it Package".. For $299 (plus tax) you get two Ocean Side Massages, Cabana, Lunch at Hale Kai and Free Self Parking. Unbelievable exclamation point in the stay.. gives a new relaxed perspective. Ask for Don.. he is excellent.. been here for 17 years and used to be an Electrical Engineer. What he does in an hour, seems almost like 5 hours.^
Old Mar 31, 2010, 3:21 pm

Thumbs Up

Achieved a very DEEEEEP ALOHA through an Ocean Front Massage.. a must do if you end up down here. The package is called "You Deserve it Package".. For $299 (plus tax) you get two Ocean Side Massages, Cabana, Lunch at Hale Kai and Free Self Parking. Unbelievable exclamation point in the stay.. gives a new relaxed perspective. Ask for Don.. he is excellent.. been here for 17 years and used to be an Electrical Engineer. What he does in an hour, seems almost like 5 hours.^
Sounds great, it is on the list for my next visit. Didn't have time this trip as I was busy paddleboarding with the kids, snorkeling, hiking or something else it seemed! I did see the cabanas set up for those massages and the wife and I both commented it would be nice, just never got around to it. The advantage of having more time there.........next time.......
Old Apr 1, 2010, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Anyone here do the Clam Bake at Mauna Kea? I talked to a few of the staff.. lots been to Surf Sand and Stars at Four Seasons and to the Clam Bake, but not both. I think we'll switch and try out the Clam Bake at Mauna Kea, but would like to know the opinion of those who have done both.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.