Wiki Posts
Search

2018 Status Points, how's it going?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:47 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by testman
Well, it's 11 nights and 359 status points now. (I spent 4000 rewards points in total on two reservations.)
It's quite clear I'm not getting a Platinum card this year!
Of course if you spend points then it is harder to requalify. My strategy is when possible to plan how many status points will be earnt on certain bookings when making bookings and hopefully requalifying a bit before the end of the year so any bookings after getting 14,000 status points will be blown using the points built up. Another idea is to have 1 year off when you have built a massive number of points and just use it up through the year. Plus because they now will drop you 1 level down which is gold membership it is not that bad because the differences are not huge plus you still get room upgrades and late check outs or early check ins which matters most and I usually book suites in Sofitels anyway which gives lounge access.

My wife often asks me when we will use the 100k points built up (only took 18 months to build up). The only hitch is they always seem to offer points promotion at the end of the year like X4 for plats which is very tempting to get.
clement7 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2018, 3:45 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Le Club Gold
Originally Posted by tris06
Of course if you spend points then it is harder to requalify. My strategy is when possible to plan how many status points will be earnt on certain bookings when making bookings and hopefully requalifying a bit before the end of the year so any bookings after getting 14,000 status points will be blown using the points built up. Another idea is to have 1 year off when you have built a massive number of points and just use it up through the year. Plus because they now will drop you 1 level down which is gold membership it is not that bad because the differences are not huge plus you still get room upgrades and late check outs or early check ins which matters most and I usually book suites in Sofitels anyway which gives lounge access.

My wife often asks me when we will use the 100k points built up (only took 18 months to build up). The only hitch is they always seem to offer points promotion at the end of the year like X4 for plats which is very tempting to get.
Most of my stays are in Poland and the prices are usually much lower than in Western Europe or Australia. It's rather difficult to get 14,000 status points if you don't go abroad. To give you an example: soon I'm going to stay at two airport hotels in Warsaw (Novotel and Mercure). Booked in advance, each night is about 30-35 EUR.

I'm waiting for my partner to be sent on a last-minute business trip
Last year we were in Sydney. Paying 300-400 AUD per night gets you a lot of points!

EDIT: But I'm happy with my Gold card, since there are almost no lounges in Europe.
tris06 and clement7 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: VA Gold, QF Gold, Accor Platinum
1890 and 5/60 nights....got a fair bit of travel coming up in June and July so will definitely re-qual for gold, but unlikely platinum.
clement7 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 2:25 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Best Western Platinum, IHG Gold, Thalys Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Easytravel
1964 8 nights.
12 nights and 3052 points. (Used for 1 night 2000 points)
clement7 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Plat
Made it already!

Just back from a week at the Hong Kong rugby 7s. My 2018 account is showing 18338 SP and 16 nights. How you might ask? 7 nights at the Sofitel Saigon, 1 night at the Novotel Bangkok airport and 8 nights at the Park Lane, Hong Kong. The latter two bookings were "doubled up" as we were travelling with friends and I made the bookings and, with their agreement, collected all the points. I think I would have made it anyway as we are shortly heading off to Melbourne for 10 nights at the Sofitel there.

As I am retired now, all this is out of my own pocket - not corporate largesse! Moral of the story: go on holiday with your friends!
kniesel, PabloM, tris06 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: VA Gold, QF Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by fbrj
As I am retired now, all this is out of my own pocket - not corporate largesse! Moral of the story: go on holiday with your friends!
Planning on doing exactly this through Brazil and Cuba....the travelling with family and friends, not the retire part...
clement7 likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2018, 9:03 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Yes or with family and they want to share the cost of the hotel. A good question was how did Pullman Park Lane treat you? Past experience has been average or worse.
PabloM and clement7 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 4:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Plat
Yes or with family and they want to share the cost of the hotel. A good question was how did Pullman Park Lane treat you? Past experience has been average or worse.
Sorry to hear about your HK Park Lane experience - we have been there a number of times and, as usual, this year did not disappoint. With Accor Plat we checked in/out on 22nd floor and on arrival spent a bit of time getting our 2 rooms reallocated to our satisfaction (both to Victoria Park/harbour view - 15th and 20th floors) with the receptionist. The team in the Club Lounge we found excellent - personable, polite, helpful and efficient. The recently refurbished rooms were fine. Drinks and canopies (6pm - 8.00pm) good and breakfast more than adequate. Coupled with an excellent and cheerful doorman (Sony) who ensured taxi drivers were 100% certain of where you wanted to go - there was nothing we could really fault.
Goldorak and clement7 like this.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 8:35 pm

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
9 Nights & 1,620 SP
clement7 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:17 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Qantas Platinum
.I have one 2 night stay in Hong Kong this month which is never that cheap so likely I will be hitting 4000-4400 status points by the end of this month. So looks like I am on track to qualifying.. While I might have other minor stays in April/ May. My next big stay will be at the New York Sofitel which should add like 3000+ status points.
Did you stay at our favorite HKG Accor hotel that loves children???
gilbertaue and clement7 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:25 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by fbrj
.As I am retired now, all this is out of my own pocket - not corporate largesse! Moral of the story: go on holiday with your friends!
I agree with this strategy. I stay on my own cost now (self employed) but so far this year I’m 7,501 status points with 19 nights - but I’ve had a number of stays where I’ve had multiple rooms with family/business partners which helps the status point climb.
clement7 likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 6:16 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by PabloM

Did you stay at our favorite HKG Accor hotel that loves children???

This time even though my son was not with us we did not. We did hiking that weekend (16kms up and down mountains) so the Novotel Nathan road was more convenient.
PabloM and clement7 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 11:21 am

Programs: Le Club Accor: Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott/SPG: Gold, AMEX Platinum
2018 current standing at 8507 Status points and 34 nights. This is as I sit in a Mercure I've just spent 2 nights in so that will bump up slightly once I check out tomorrow. I will make Platinum for the firs time this year, should be there before summer. Just as well since I've just booked 21 nights worth of 5* properties in SE Asia for August!
clement7 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:06 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I have zero activity for the year.

I used to have activity, from a stay which started in Dec. Then they moved it to counting towards 2017, which is useless to me, while counting the "Points Accelerator" for the same stay as occurring in 2018, at the lower rate after my status dropped a level!

ETA: It actually depends on which part of the site I look at as to which value I get! The nights and status points for my new year stay are credited towards 2017 on the My Points History page, but towards 2018 on the My Loyalty Card page!
clement7 likes this.

Last edited by Kremmen; May 1, 2018 at 12:48 am Reason: Accor's web site is rubbish
Old Apr 27, 2018, 10:57 am

823 points Status and 11 Nights for now as I used some points. However I've just managed 5 stays at Fairmont to become Premier so if the system goes well I'll be platinum again from Jul together with my current gold status. Otherwise I'm not even sure if I can manage gold next year with potentially new job and maybe also relocation 2nd half of the year.
clement7 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.