Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Review : Artisan Istanbul MGallery (ex Mercure Istanbul Taksim)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Review : Artisan Istanbul MGallery (ex Mercure Istanbul Taksim)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:53 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
I regretted booking the Mercure Topkapi when we stayed in Istanbul (soon after it had opened), here is what I had to say after our stay:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/25321720-post312.html

I can definitely say that I regretted not booking the Taksim Mercure, it wasn't worth the cost saving.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:26 am

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Thank you Goldorak, cwl and Ikaz. Although I did spot a tram (subway?) stop some 6 minute walk from Mercure Topkapi on Google Map, I'll just pass on this option for now.

I went ahead and booked 3 nights at the Novotel Bosphorus, very good prices with the current 3=2 sale and I could use some Accor points. I noticed they have decent indoor pool and nice hamami at the Novotel, missing at the Mercure Taksim.

I will have 2 more nights at the Doubletree Avanos Cappadocia before Novotel and 2 more to book at either the Conrad or SPG's Gezi Hotel after Novotel.

That leaves me with my first 3 nights in Istanbul to book somewhere. Mercure Taksim prices are only about 10% higher than Novotel, but I cannot use any Accor points to stay there. For full cash payment I cannot justify staying at Mercure Taksim at this time, while with the current Hilton sale the Doubletree Sirkeci is slightly cheaper and I can get breakfast with my Hilton status (no breakfast at Mercure). Plus, Doubletree Sirkeci is just steps away from Hagia Sophia, Topkapi and the Blue Mosque.

I guess I still have a few more days before I need to pull the trigger. Might well book at the Novotel again or try staying at Sultanahmet at Doubletree Sirkeci.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:35 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FGunawan
...but I cannot use any Accor points to stay there.

Why is that?
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Why is that?
I don't know. I tried about a dozen times using different machines - PC, laptop and iPhone. The slider option for using Accor points never comes up when trying to book Mercure Taksim under the 3=2 sale prices.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:44 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I don't know. I tried about a dozen times using different machines - PC, laptop and iPhone. The slider option for using Accor points never comes up when trying to book Mercure Taksim under the 3=2 sale prices.
Try contacting Deniz directly on here via PM. She is very proactive and incredibly helpful. It would be a shame to not at least spend some nights there.
I'll send you a PM with her direct email as well.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 1:53 am

Thank you gilbertuae.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:50 am

Whatever happened to Mama Shelter Istanbul anyway? Up until last year or so whenever I was checking out Istanbul it always showed up as bookable at Accor site.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Try contacting Deniz directly on here via PM. She is very proactive and incredibly helpful. It would be a shame to not at least spend some nights there.
I'll send you a PM with her direct email as well.
+1

Whatever happened to Mama Shelter Istanbul anyway? Up until last year or so whenever I was checking out Istanbul it always showed up as bookable at Accor site.
Indeed, this hotel seems to have disappeared
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:58 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
The mama shelter left the accor chain last summer, a few comments here (and you posted a comment on it Goldorak ).

Regarding the Mercure Topkapi, there is indeed a metro stop not too far away, but it isn't convenient to get to with luggage, and I had issues with the taxi's I wouldn't recommend that option either (although they now have Uber in Instanbul). The hotel might still have a lounge though, you state that you are platinum, so this is an advantage compared to the Mercure Taksim where the lounge seems to have closed.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Ikaz
and I had issues with the taxi's I wouldn't recommend that option either (although they now have Uber in Instanbul). .
In Istanbul, always use the BiTaksi app.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Ikaz
The mama shelter left the accor chain last summer, a few comments here (and you posted a comment on it Goldorak ).
WOW. My friends and relatives always say I have an elephant memory, but I completely forgot about that
Thank you for refreshing my memory. It seems I'm getting older
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
This review has been really helpful to me.

Anyone know if this hotel honours the Platinum benefits when using Accor Vouchers to pay (converting Accor points) ?

Cheers.

Originally Posted by Goldorak

I stayed 3 nights in this hotel and had an excellent stay there. I choose it because it is one of the very rare Accor hotel in Europe that have a lounge. In addition, it is well located in town and had excellent reviews. I had booked it with a -40% promotion, which was great because otherwise this hotel is expensive (contrarily to what many people think, Istanbul is not cheap at all for hotels, especially at this season).

The hotel is located at walking distance from Taksim square and also from the end of the Tramway line (Kabatas station), so it is very rapid to join all the interesting areas of the beautiful city of Istanbul.

The lobby area of the hotel are quite nice as you can see below :

I arrived very late at the hotel (1:30 am) due to horrible lines at immigration in IST (close to 1500 people in line – a nightmare). Check-in was very smooth and my 1st contact with an employee of this hotel was already excellent : immediately my platinum status was mentioned and due to this I was upgraded to a Deluxe Privilege room with Bosphore view (I had booked a superior room, city view). Lounge access was granted without asking (it was precised that I booked a rate not including breakfast, so I could not have free breakfast at the main restaurant, but I could have it free in the lounge). He asked me if I needed a late check-out and 4 pm was granted immediately.
No drink voucher was given and I didn’t ask for it because with the lounge access, it’s not a problem.

The room was nice, large enough for me. I couldn’ t appreciate immediately the view because it was the night, but the following day, I was very happy of this view !

View of Topkapi palace from my room :

Pictures of the room and bathroom :

Nespresso machine in room :

Plates of chocolates and fruits + spring water was placed in the room :

Bathrobes and slippers were provided in the bathroom

I will present the lounge in the dedicated thread :
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24897757-post95.html

The hotel has a terrace, you can have drinks there (service is done by the adjacent lounge attendants).

Views from the terrace :

Check-out was very rapid. All staff in this hotel has just been great. Another example showing how nice the Mercure brand has become. Way better IMO than the very cold and standardized atmosphere of the Novotel. After check-out, I received the ususal satisfaction survey, and I just received an e-mail of the GM thanking me for having completed it and for the ratings I gave in it.

Definitely an hotel I recommend, and also knowing that it is one of the very rare to have a club lounge.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Is the lounge still there and made available to Platinum guests ?
Cheers.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 3:45 pm

Thank you Goldorak, cwl and Ikaz. Although I did spot a tram (subway?) stop some 6 minute walk from Mercure Topkapi on Google Map, I'll just pass on this option for now.

I went ahead and booked 3 nights at the Novotel Bosphorus, very good prices with the current 3=2 sale and I could use some Accor points. I noticed they have decent indoor pool and nice hamami at the Novotel, missing at the Mercure Taksim.

I will have 2 more nights at the Doubletree Avanos Cappadocia before Novotel and 2 more to book at either the Conrad or SPG's Gezi Hotel after Novotel.

That leaves me with my first 3 nights in Istanbul to book somewhere. Mercure Taksim prices are only about 10% higher than Novotel, but I cannot use any Accor points to stay there. For full cash payment I cannot justify staying at Mercure Taksim at this time, while with the current Hilton sale the Doubletree Sirkeci is slightly cheaper and I can get breakfast with my Hilton status (no breakfast at Mercure). Plus, Doubletree Sirkeci is just steps away from Hagia Sophia, Topkapi and the Blue Mosque.

I guess I still have a few more days before I need to pull the trigger. Might well book at the Novotel again or try staying at Sultanahmet at Doubletree Sirkeci.
Which did you book for your first 3 nights ? Thoughts ?
Old Aug 22, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
Is the lounge still there and made available to Platinum guests ?
Cheers.
Hi Sisyphus1carus,

I know the thread is long and hence you may not have read through all of it. There are actually several reviews here.
The lounge is no longer available. Nevertheless, that did not deter me from my two stays there as the staff is tip-top. My last stay was more than a year ago - so I hope they are still there!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.