FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The "Please post your Le Club Elite experiences" 2015 master thread
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:04 pm
Ikaz

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
- Name of the hotel: Mercure Istanbul Topkapi

- What is your Le Club status? Gold

- Were you (or for multi-stayers were you generally) happy with the hotel/stay? Not really

- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive? Booked superior room (= standard room for this hotel), got upgraded to a suite (possibly the junior suite, can't see the difference between both of the suite categories on the hotel site).

- How are the rooms? Ok rooms, not at all what I would expect from a suite in a 5 star hotel.
We switched the aircon off to sleep, but it was still making some dripping noise.
All of the suites face towards to motorway, and the soundproofing wasn't good, so I could hardly sleep the 2nd night (not sure why it wasn't an issue the first night, possibly due to being so tired after the flight there and arriving late).
The room looke like it wasn't finished, there was a gap between where the carpet ended and where the bathroom tiles started (pic), there were holes in the walls where cables where expected to be I guess, it just looked tatty for a new hotel (pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3).
The curtains don't block out all of the light (picture taken with my phone).

- What was good and what was bad?

Good: The staff was excellent, we arrived late at night and one member of staff insisted on carrying our 3 bags to the room, and we had an issue when in Istanbul (nothing to do with the hotel), and the staff manager was very helpful on assisting us.
Upgrade had already been processed before arrival (without request).

Bad: The location isn't great if you are sightseeing, and I was not at all impressed by the room.
The cost of a taxi was about 30 to 40 Lyra from the hotel to the center (more in the other direction if you don't get an honest taxi driver)

- Did you get club lounge access? How was the lounge? No lounge access due to Gold status. I was platinum, but as it wasn't me that did the booking was not allowed to use my benefits (wasn't expecting them to let us, asked just in case).

- What about welcome drinks, welcome amenities or any other special perks? Drink voucher for 2 people issues upon arrival, upgraded room with a fruit plate, 3 water bottles and a hand written welcome note waiting for us in the room.

- Value for $ or Vouchers? Would you return?
Decent value, but seeing the feedback here of the other Mercure that is in the center (Taksim), if I were to return, I would to the other one.