Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Launching July 1: Extended eUpgrade validity for Aeroplan Premium credit cardholders

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Launching July 1: Extended eUpgrade validity for Aeroplan Premium credit cardholders

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2024, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite & Aeroplan 50K

Just received this email and I don't really know how I feel about it...

Hi codfather,

As part of Aeroplan’s 40th anniversary, we made a commitment to celebrating this milestone by introducing a series of improvements to the Member experience. Today we’re pleased to share one such change that reflects the simplicity and fairness that you value as an Aeroplan Elite member.

Effective July 1, 2024, Air Canada is streamlining the validity of eUpgrade credits to provide
  • Simplified Expiry: eUpgrade credits earned as part of your status benefits will be valid for 12 months from the date they are issued.
  • Improved Aeroplan Premium credit card benefit: Primary Aeroplan Premium credit cardholders will enjoy an additional 12 months of validity for all eUpgrades earned as part of their status benefits for a total of 24 months, and there will no longer be a cap at 50 credits maximum. This benefit will be offered in lieu of the eUpgrade rollover benefit.
Please note this adjustment will not apply retroactively to any eUpgrade credits earned before July 1, 2024, which will retain their existing validity.

We hope you will enjoy this extra flexibility! For more information about these eUpgrade changes, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.

As always, thank you for your Loyalty.

Sincerely yours,

Mark Nasr
President, Aeroplan
Old May 14, 2024, 8:21 am

Programs: AC50K, *A Gold, Marriott Titanium (LGE), Hilton Diamond
Really not liking this change. Will affect the whole wait til July 1 for additional validity. Gues it makes sense to absolutely delay choosing your select benefits until the last possible chance now. The way I'm reading it means that you will get one year after selecting the eUp benefits to use them

Definitely incentivizes sign ups for the credit cards - that is where the money is!
Old May 14, 2024, 8:28 am

Programs: AC E50K, FPC Platinum
I'm not sure how they can bill this as an upgrade. How exactly is this an improvement to the member experience? Under the old system, if I do my select privileges on July 1, they're valid until Dec 31, 2025. Now they're good until July 1, 2025. So less time

This is also a downgrade for lower status premium credit card members (who don't get 50 credits in a year so weren't as concerned about the roll over limit)
Old May 14, 2024, 8:29 am

24mo. validity period is fantastic news for those of us who like/try to use instant eUps somewhere near end of schedule.
Old May 14, 2024, 8:30 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
  • Improved Aeroplan Premium credit card benefit: Primary Aeroplan Premium credit cardholders will enjoy an additional 12 months of validity for all eUpgrades earned as part of their status benefits for a total of 24 months, and there will no longer be a cap at 50 credits maximum. This benefit will be offered in lieu of the eUpgrade rollover benefit.
What does the last sentence mean? Is that implying that there won't be a rollover benefit anymore? I don't understand what is in lieu of what.
​​​​​​​
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 8:33 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Just read my email. I like it, good for 24 months so you can earn and not be afraid to leave any credits on the table every year or at least for some less credits on the table. More value for the credit card.

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Originally Posted by canopus27
What does the last sentence mean? Is that implying that there won't be a rollover benefit anymore? I don't understand what is in lieu of what.
I interpret that to mean you will have 24 months as a Premium Card Holder from the date the e-up was issued to use it - full stop. No more rollover per se.

CC
billdokes and kalderlake like this.

Programs: AC SE2MM AirCanada Card Amex Cent Bonvoy LT Titanium, IHG Diamond, Hertz Platinum etc etc.
Good change. Interestingly it applies to Premium
CC members. One assumes most 100K also hold at least one premium CC. But nevertheless interesting to see how CC benefits are prioritized over FF status. That’s apparently not where the money is.
Old May 14, 2024, 8:35 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by canopus27
The 50 eUpgrade credit rollover benefit is definitely gone and replaced with 2 year credit validity. The question is: Will there be a SQM rollover benefit?
Old May 14, 2024, 8:42 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I actually don't mind this change. With it being more difficult than ever to use e-upgrades, they are basically cutting 6 months off upgrades, but you still could have 18 months to decide on how to use them. Could still stack some in the 1st half of year...
Old May 14, 2024, 8:43 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
As someone with a premium card and enough eUps to select mine after July 1 this probably doesn't change much. it will definitely help those trying to upgrade flights between Jan 1 and whenever the rollover happened which in turn may hurt those who were able to wait and select.
SPG_Fan likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 8:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan 25K , UA ,WJ, HA, AMEX AP Reserve
Originally Posted by eastexpress
I'm not sure how they can bill this as an upgrade. How exactly is this an improvement to the member experience? Under the old system, if I do my select privileges on July 1, they're valid until Dec 31, 2025. Now they're good until July 1, 2025. So less time

This is also a downgrade for lower status premium credit card members (who don't get 50 credits in a year so weren't as concerned about the roll over limit)
I am 25K. I attempt to use my 25 E-ups plus rollovers once a year on a trip to OGG in Dec with the missus. If we dont get upgraded on all 4 legs, I get the rollover
with The AMEX Reserve. With 35 eups in the bank now due to rollover from 2023 , and if we are unlucky enough to not get upgraded in Dec 2024, I would keep them with the one-time rollover in 2025. Granted the 25 new ones
I will get in Feb 2025 will be good for 2 years but going forward, I need 32 to upgrade YYC-YVR-OGG-YVR-YYC and no rollover would not help me. I would then have to wait until Feb 2026 to use for that trip. The other option
is to try to use them for something else like one of my many trips to YYZ during the year. For me, the stakes become higher if I wait until the end of the year to use them with no rollover and risk losing all of them earned in that year.

This is bad for me as a bottom feeder with the Amex Reserve down the road.

Last edited by muskoka; May 14, 2024 at 9:11 am
Old May 14, 2024, 8:49 am

Agree its a good change, easier to understand and helpful for those booking flights in the early
months of the next year. Let's hope AC's IT was in the loop early on this. It will be interesting to see how this last rollover will be executed.
YULRvR likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 9:17 am

Please note this adjustment will not apply retroactively to any eUpgrade credits earned before July 1, 2024, which will retain their existing validity. However, as part of this change, your unused eUpgrade credits earned through June 30, 2024, will be rolled over in 2025 (up to 50 credits total). This one‑time rollover will be completed by March 31, 2025, and those credits will be valid until January 15, 2026.

Just want to clarify...
This means that the eUpgrades I have received already this year will be rolled over to 2025 per the current benefit policy?
Old May 14, 2024, 9:18 am

Programs: AC75 MM
For premium CC holders: "However, as part of this change, your unused eUpgrade credits earned through June 30, 2024, will be rolled over in 2025 (up to 50 credits total)."

Implies that previously rolled over credits will no be extended, I guess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.