Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Launching July 1: Extended eUpgrade validity for Aeroplan Premium credit cardholders

Launching July 1: Extended eUpgrade validity for Aeroplan Premium credit cardholders

Old May 14, 2024, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by smilee
or making it that if you manage to find and use an Eup that your J seat will not be taken away from you.
exactly. if you don't use eUps in this fashion they've become quite useless to me, aerolotto for flights within Western Canada/USA where i could care less if i get upgraded or not, but sometimes for really long haul flight they are also not worth the risk. At which point I really need to question how much value Aeroplan is actually getting me
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
As noted above, there is one negative scenario for those that were waiting to select until July 1 each year. Under the current rules, they could select on July 1 and get 18 month expiry and then rollover up to 50 for an additional 12 months or 30 months all together versus a straight 24 months in the new program. Not sure that this would apply to many people but might apply to a few.
If you can't use your eUps in 24 months, why exactly do you care at all? You're clearly not using eUps at all.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by tomvancouver
For premium CC holders: "However, as part of this change, your unused eUpgrade credits earned through June 30, 2024, will be rolled over in 2025 (up to 50 credits total)."

Implies that previously rolled over credits will no be extended, I guess
I am pretty sure they would be rolled over because they were earned prior to June 30, 2024, even if they were rolled over. It would probably be harded for their IT system to separate out rolled over credits from ones earned this year, so I can't imagine them doing that.
Originally Posted by cooleddie
In my view the eupgrades are kind of useless when they zero out the R space for pretty much every single long haul flight on the schedule. It is extremely difficult to find R space on any R space flight, if not impossible.
Book far enough ahead, which we'll soon be able to do, and I've generally found R space.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:38 am

Help

i have 33 eupgrades that are slated to expire in Jan.

i have a flight in March 2025 I wanted to Eup on and was going to hope for rollover end of Jan

now not so sure - those 33 aren't going to rollover slash extended expire until March??
Old May 14, 2024, 11:41 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by The Lev
I am pretty sure they would be rolled over because they were earned prior to June 30, 2024, even if they were rolled over. It would probably be harded for their IT system to separate out rolled over credits from ones earned this year, so I can't imagine them doing that.

Book far enough ahead, which we'll soon be able to do, and I've generally found R space.
Not recently anyway. I search 11 months out
Old May 14, 2024, 12:07 pm

Programs: AC SE
So, for someone who doesn't have a premium CC, any upgrades you earn through flying after July 1 will have a shorter expiry than under the old system. e.g. I'll go past the 60, 80 and 100k thresholds between July 1 and Sept, but those threshold e-ups will only be valid for 12 months instead of at least 16.

Great enhancement
Old May 14, 2024, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by yeg2where
So, for someone who doesn't have a premium CC, any upgrades you earn through flying after July 1 will have a shorter expiry than under the old system. e.g. I'll go past the 60, 80 and 100k thresholds between July 1 and Sept, but those threshold e-ups will only be valid for 12 months instead of at least 16.

Great enhancement
Not quite.

Before, you had 6-12 months for eUps earned January through June, and 12-18 months for eUps earned July through December.

It was never "at least 16".

Now it's a standard 12 on everything (or 24 with the credit card).

You can concoct stories about how this is so much worse, but it's much more reasonable and easy to understand now.

I currently have 247 eUps and can't upgrade any flights that are more than 8 months from now. That's preposterous, and the new system fixes that.
Far Siren, m.y, ffsim and 7 others like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM; SPG Plat
Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
Not sure where the gamble is? If you buy the latitude flights and the upgrade doesn't come through, cancel the latitude flights. They are refundable, are they not?
An example where that doesn't really work: I've booked two seats to Europe, end of June, using the companion benefit. Latitude. It's J8 R0, so I'm optimistic, but it's still quite a long way out. I'm going regardless, so if it doesn't come through the refundable aspect isn't helpful to me.
FreedomIsntFree likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Not quite.
It was never "at least 16".
In my specific case, which is just as valid as yours 247 you can't spend, I will earn 40 eUps passing through thresholds between now and Sep 1. Yesterday I could reasonable assume they would have been valid until Dec 31 2025, ie. for at least 16 months. Today I can't.

People without a premium CC and rollover benefit, any threshold passed after July 1 will have a shorter validity than before. Since thresholds are weighed towards the higher end of the requalification target, its fair to assume that more people hit thresholds later in the year than earlier

For an SE with a premium CC who can bank SQM, and hit thresholds on their first flight of the year, the new system is clearly better. Its increased the differential for the premium CC.

Without the premium CC, not so clear that its better at all.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:48 pm

In my specific case, which is just as valid as yours 247 you can't spend, I will earn 40 eUps passing through thresholds between now and Sep 1. Yesterday I could reasonable assume they would have been valid until Dec 31 2025, ie. for at least 16 months. Today I can't.

People without a premium CC and rollover benefit, any threshold passed after July 1 will have a shorter validity than before. Since thresholds are weighed towards the higher end of the requalification target, its fair to assume that more people hit thresholds later in the year than earlier

For an SE with a premium CC who can bank SQM, and hit thresholds on their first flight of the year, the new system is clearly better. Its increased the differential for the premium CC.

Without the premium CC, not so clear that its better at all.
Whether or not you have a premium credit card, you can only upgrade flights within the next 8 months right now. That will become 6.5. And then you actually needed to earn eUps after July 1 to have more than 6.5 month eligibility. Otherwise that number kept dropping until you earned more.

There are people complaining that there's no R space 11 months out, and those same people are complaining that the old system, where you can't request an upgrade for anything even approaching 11 months out from today, was better.
martyYOW and YYC3722 like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 12:53 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Isn't this worse for those that Earn/Burn/Earn and don't need a 2 yr window as it puts more e-Ups in the system for a longer period of time, resulting in potentially more competition for those seats in the future?

I agree, generally positive, but I can think of lots of cases where this could result in a worse outcome for a certain profile of people, particularly the more frequent flier who as I say earns and burns and earns that loses an UG to a 25K who buys a Latitude or PY fare and uses eUps from 24 mos prior.
yeg2where likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 4:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I have to see this as a net positive as this gives what we have all been asking for on the term of validity for the eupgrades -- a full year. There are also generous provisions for premium credit card users.

The outstanding problem is the "in advance" eupgrade availability since this doesn't deal with the number of eupgrades actually and reasonably useable. That is a whole other subject. I hope AC also deals with the "in advance" eupgrade availability as well (my pipe dream and may not be in the cards from an airline profitability model).

I have a not so elegant but workable (for me) fix for dealing with the lack of advance availability -- buy business class (costs more but I need the SQD more than SQM). I might buy premium economy or latitude fares when I am pretty certain (or know for latitude) that there is ample front cabin space availability by sussing things out from ExpertFlyer.. I don't think I have bought a flex fare post-covid except for economy only cabin flights. Nothing is ever guaranteed but this has worked for me to fly up front 100% since things got tougher post-covid.

I could grouse as I fondly remember the "good old days" (perhaps bad old days from AC's perspective) when I could upgrade from any fare at any time on any route and I always had enough paper certificates for me and my companions (including strangers I met at the airport).

Over the decades that has definitely been diminished and diminished again and again but understand the business decisions AC has had to make. As I told Calin Rovinescu at a SE gathering in Calgary one time--your number one job is to make the airline profitable so I have an airline to fly (and that I want to fly).

So for once in a long time we have a wee bit of an add back that helps--so thanks AC! (the term of validity at a full year from posting is positive)

Last edited by BlondeBomber; May 14, 2024 at 4:37 pm
Old May 14, 2024, 8:06 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by billdokes
Isn't this worse for those that Earn/Burn/Earn and don't need a 2 yr window as it puts more e-Ups in the system for a longer period of time, resulting in potentially more competition for those seats in the future?

I agree, generally positive, but I can think of lots of cases where this could result in a worse outcome for a certain profile of people, particularly the more frequent flier who as I say earns and burns and earns that loses an UG to a 25K who buys a Latitude or PY fare and uses eUps from 24 mos prior.
I mean.... isn't latitude and PY flex better for AC?
Old May 14, 2024, 8:50 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Whether or not you have a premium credit card, you can only upgrade flights within the next 8 months right now. That will become 6.5. And then you actually needed to earn eUps after July 1 to have more than 6.5 month eligibility. Otherwise that number kept dropping until you earned more.

There are people complaining that there's no R space 11 months out, and those same people are complaining that the old system, where you can't request an upgrade for anything even approaching 11 months out from today, was better.
I'm not complaing if you are reffering to me.. I like the changes. And yes, at the beginning of the calender year I can look 11 months out, but after july when More Flight passes are purchase and thresholds acheived I can look 18 months out. For me it stilll is the Issue that R space never shows up like it used.
Old May 14, 2024, 11:26 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ TK M&S
Originally Posted by muskoka
I am 25K. I attempt to use my 25 E-ups plus rollovers once a year on a trip to OGG in Dec with the missus. If we dont get upgraded on all 4 legs, I get the rollover
with The AMEX Reserve. With 35 eups in the bank now due to rollover from 2023 , and if we are unlucky enough to not get upgraded in Dec 2024, I would keep them with the one-time rollover in 2025. Granted the 25 new ones
I will get in Feb 2025 will be good for 2 years but going forward, I need 32 to upgrade YYC-YVR-OGG-YVR-YYC and no rollover would not help me. I would then have to wait until Feb 2026 to use for that trip. The other option
is to try to use them for something else like one of my many trips to YYZ during the year. For me, the stakes become higher if I wait until the end of the year to use them with no rollover and risk losing all of them earned in that year.

This is bad for me as a bottom feeder with the Amex Reserve down the road.
Try Latitude fares or mileage tickets in one direction and it’ll be 20 eUps total, which is within your annual bandwidth as a 25K!

Originally Posted by gglave
Yep. My employer will pay for Flex, but not Latitude.

I've tried for Premium Economy, but they never clear, ever.
Which route(s)? Never had an issue on most routes to/from Europe, but across the Pacific seems hard to find except Tokyo/Brisbane

Great enhancement
Uhm… perhaps now is the time for you to consider an “enhancement” in your credit card portfolio?

Last edited by Adam Smith; May 15, 2024 at 11:13 am Reason: Merge consecutive posts by same user

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.