Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Launching July 1: Extended eUpgrade validity for Aeroplan Premium credit cardholders

Launching July 1: Extended eUpgrade validity for Aeroplan Premium credit cardholders

Old May 15, 2024, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have two AC CCards, buy latitude passes.
Both Europe flights for this weekend cleared , when R was 0 at booking two weeks ago
Like the news AE provided
taupo, martyYOW and vancouver25k like this.
Old May 15, 2024, 11:12 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE; Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Does this mean I should not select my benefits on July 2, but instead on Dec 31 (or whenever my current eups are used up) ?
Old May 15, 2024, 1:00 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, *A Gold w/ TK M&S
^ Sure but maybe try for mid-December so you don't forget during the hectic holiday period...
kalderlake likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 2:04 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Primary Aeroplan Premium credit cardholders
I am assuming "Premium" is a concept that only exists for Canada issued cards, so the Chase U.S. card is not considered premium, right?
Old May 15, 2024, 2:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
I am assuming "Premium" is a concept that only exists for Canada issued cards, so the Chase U.S. card is not considered premium, right?
Correct. The Chase card is a "Core" card.
escape4 likes this.
Old May 15, 2024, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by Changeup2000
Does this mean I should not select my benefits on July 2, but instead on Dec 31 (or whenever my current eups are used up) ?
I waited until mid-July the past couple of years. Now (unless there are other changes), I'll do it in December unless I need more e-ups, which is unlikely. I don't have as many extra as some people, but with this new 24 month expiry, I can't imagine ever running out again. I've only "lost" (>50 that I could roll over) a few these past couple of years, but have had fewer upgrades this year and am generally paying for higher fare classes which thus need fewer e-ups.
Old May 15, 2024, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
No change is going to make everyone happy, but this one is better for me (for once!)

But my question is, when will get the next email about other "enhancements" as a further result of this eUpgrade validity change? Perhaps lower eUps in our select benefit packages? Why would that be? I don't know, and there doesn't have to be a good reason for it, or a good reason to YOU.
Old May 15, 2024, 10:49 pm

Programs: AC SE 100K MM; Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by yyznomad
No change is going to make everyone happy, but this one is better for me (for once!)

But my question is, when will get the next email about other "enhancements" as a further result of this eUpgrade validity change? Perhaps lower eUps in our select benefit packages? Why would that be? I don't know, and there doesn't have to be a good reason for it, or a good reason to YOU.
Why limit the supply of e-Ups when you control the ability for them to be consumed? Keep flooding them out there as they have been and are doing through this most recent change, give people the illusion of hope that they can actually use them, and then manage the redemption as it suits AC.
Joeyjo and Wigg like this.
Old May 16, 2024, 11:04 am

For anyone with the premium CC, this is definitely a win. 24 month expiry from "earning" (I assume it will be 24 months from when you choose the select benefit as well) is a nice time frame and should allow people to always have e ups available for the next calendar year if they wish. Those without the premium CC may be slightly disadvantaged as they will only have 12 months from chosing the select benefit vs a possible 18 now if slected in July. However its more incentive to obtain a premium CC, which may be part of the driver in this change. As others have noted, the CC part of the program is likely very lucrative (based on other public info like the Delta/Amex partnership), and AC has definitely leveraged this with 4 CC partners.

Another benefit of this change is that if you are a 75k or SE and plan to gift the 35k/50k benefit to a friend, you can do so early in the year and still have 24 month e up expiry (assuming you have the premium CC).

Some have speculated what else may change - I don't believe this change will necessate/result in other major changes. As noted above by billdokes , AC already can and does control the e up space availablilty. Based on reading this and related threads, it appears there are two main types of e up users (that post here). Those that earn and burn on a regular basis through a combination of status, fare type and use of tools like EF. And there are others who are awash in e ups for a variety of reason (upgrade from a higher fare, purchasing J, threshold awards). These trends will continue and I don't think will change significantly. There is no need to change other parts of the program to compensate for this change.
Old May 16, 2024, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wigg
For anyone with the premium CC, this is definitely a win. 24 month expiry from "earning" (I assume it will be 24 months from when you choose the select benefit as well) is a nice time frame and should allow people to always have e ups available for the next calendar year if they wish. Those without the premium CC may be slightly disadvantaged as they will only have 12 months from chosing the select benefit vs a possible 18 now if slected in July. However its more incentive to obtain a premium CC, which may be part of the driver in this change. As others have noted, the CC part of the program is likely very lucrative (based on other public info like the Delta/Amex partnership), and AC has definitely leveraged this with 4 CC partners.

Another benefit of this change is that if you are a 75k or SE and plan to gift the 35k/50k benefit to a friend, you can do so early in the year and still have 24 month e up expiry (assuming you have the premium CC).

Some have speculated what else may change - I don't believe this change will necessate/result in other major changes. As noted above by billdokes , AC already can and does control the e up space availablilty. Based on reading this and related threads, it appears there are two main types of e up users (that post here). Those that earn and burn on a regular basis through a combination of status, fare type and use of tools like EF. And there are others who are awash in e ups for a variety of reason (upgrade from a higher fare, purchasing J, threshold awards). These trends will continue and I don't think will change significantly. There is no need to change other parts of the program to compensate for this change.
I don't expect much to change.

People who were using all their eUps are still going to use them all, and be mostly not impacted by this change.

People who were not using them all are just going to have larger balances of eUps they don't use, and be mostly not impacted.

The only real difference I see is that more people are going to be able to request upgrades well ahead of time from LT/PF fares for Q1 flights, which was not possible before.
Old May 16, 2024, 11:28 am

Programs: AC E75K *G
This change fixes the biggest glaring issue with the eUpgrade program, which was the difficulty in securing upgrades from Latitude bookings in Q1.

I assume Latitude fares are profitable and they would like people to buy them.

When I was a young, poor, and cheap, paying for flights from a stingy travel policy, I would take the 58 bus to Pearson and finagle every deal I could along the away, and hope for the best.

Now I am old. I park at the airport for my flight that was upgraded months ago.

Last edited by zorn; May 16, 2024 at 11:35 am
Old May 16, 2024, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by zorn
When I was a young, poor, and cheap, paying for flights from a stingy travel policy, I would take the 58 bus to Pearson and finagle every deal I could along the away, and hope for the best.

Now I am old. I park at the airport for my flight that was upgraded months ago.
I'm older than you but I still take the 900 bus unless I have an early morning departure.
yyznomad, zorn and margarita girl like this.
Old May 16, 2024, 4:06 pm

Programs: AC:SE
Eup balance roll up

One place the extended time will allow those who are abort eups to collect some more and try using them. Say you needed 12 for your long haul flight. If they have 10 left, then can get more from status renewal and be able to use the 10 which would have expired in the past. I would think this is a small.number of seats. But time will tell. Last year was the flood of covid status
folks.
TheCanuckian likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 1:33 am

Programs: AC 25K
I guess I won't be selecting my benefits until December now...
the only "down" side... is, by waiting, I won't be getting any minimally useful lounge passes to gift to friends.
Old May 17, 2024, 11:40 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I hope they are considering a premium card offering in the US as they tie more benefits to having one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.