Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Launching July 1: Extended eUpgrade validity for Aeroplan Premium credit cardholders

Launching July 1: Extended eUpgrade validity for Aeroplan Premium credit cardholders

Old May 14, 2024, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I like the change. Will just need to change my mindset on how I "manage" my eUpgrades to avoid expiry.

From AC's point of view, it also may help to balance out eUpgrade requests rather than having people all trying to upgrade like mad at the end of the year to try to avoid expiring credits.
Old May 14, 2024, 9:29 am

Programs: AC*G-E100K (once again)
In my view the eupgrades are kind of useless when they zero out the R space for pretty much every single long haul flight on the schedule. It is extremely difficult to find R space on any R space flight, if not impossible.
Old May 14, 2024, 9:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This is the first chance I think is strictly positive.

For everyone complaining about selecting on July 1, you can just select your benefits in December now.
painintheuk, YULRvR, ffsim and 6 others like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 9:38 am

Programs: Altitude E75K , Gold Marriott
Originally Posted by cooleddie
In my view the eupgrades are kind of useless when they zero out the R space for pretty much every single long haul flight on the schedule. It is extremely difficult to find R space on any R space flight, if not impossible.
💯 I would pay for more Latitude flights but itís not worth the gamble flying three of us on a trip to Europe from YVR with one stop in YYZ or YUL. Unknown wether R space is available even though there is lots of availability on Expert Flyer.

In this case, Iím flying on another Star Alliance carrier with cheaper business class seats.

The best benefit I have for eUps is on business trips across Canada. In the past we used Eupgrades successfully on many trips but much harder to use now.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old May 14, 2024, 9:51 am

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by canadiancow
This is the first chance I think is strictly positive.

For everyone complaining about selecting on July 1, you can just select your benefits in December now.
Which is probably part of the reason this was done, I suspect
Old May 14, 2024, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by FreedomIsntFree
💯 I would pay for more Latitude flights but itís not worth the gamble flying three of us on a trip to Europe from YVR with one stop in YYZ or YUL. Unknown wether R space is available even though there is lots of availability on Expert Flyer.

In this case, Iím flying on another Star Alliance carrier with cheaper business class seats.

The best benefit I have for eUps is on business trips across Canada. In the past we used Eupgrades successfully on many trips but much harder to use now.
Not sure where the gamble is? If you buy the latitude flights and the upgrade doesn't come through, cancel the latitude flights. They are refundable, are they not?
The Lev, drumbo, ffsim and 4 others like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:03 am

Programs: AC75 MM
Updating my spreadsheet to maximise my useage. That's easy, but keeping track of what happens at AP's end isn't. Wish we could easily download our credit usage history, rather than doing it piecemeal.
CdnFlier and Bohemian1 like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by eastexpress
I'm not sure how they can bill this as an upgrade. How exactly is this an improvement to the member experience? Under the old system, if I do my select privileges on July 1, they're valid until Dec 31, 2025. Now they're good until July 1, 2025. So less time

This is also a downgrade for lower status premium credit card members (who don't get 50 credits in a year so weren't as concerned about the roll over limit)
The only loss for those that waited until July 1 to collect e-ups is about 15 days. Before, they would collect them on July 1 in anticipation of using them in the following year (plus 15 days to January 15 of the year after). Now, they can wait until Dec 31 to collect them for use in the following year (or anytime time before that if they have a use for them). They won't have the extra 15 days in the following January, but that is a pretty narrow edge case. And for any rollover, they won't have the dead zone from January 16 to March 31. This is a win for virtually everyone.
canadiancow and martyYOW like this.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:27 am
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
Exactly! E-ups are useless when no R space anyway.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:28 am

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Maybe outlining a couple a strategic scenarios under the new rules would be a good addition to the e-up wiki.

I haven't (yet) thought through my strategy going forward, but I suspect that there might be a couple of variants depending on status, burn, previous rollover privileges, etc.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by muskoka
I am 25K. I attempt to use my 25 E-ups plus rollovers once a year on a trip to OGG in Dec with the missus. If we dont get upgraded on all 4 legs, I get the rollover
with The AMEX Reserve. With 35 eups in the bank now due to rollover from 2023 , and if we are unlucky enough to not get upgraded in Dec 2024, I would keep them with the one-time rollover in 2025. Granted the 25 new ones
I will get in Feb 2025 will be good for 2 years but going forward, I need 32 to upgrade YYC-YVR-OGG-YVR-YYC and no rollover would not help me. I would then have to wait until Feb 2026 to use for that trip. The other option
is to try to use them for something else like one of my many trips to YYZ during the year. For me, the stakes become higher if I wait until the end of the year to use them with no rollover and risk losing all of them earned in that year.

This is bad for me as a bottom feeder with the Amex Reserve down the road.
I don't think it is possible for this to be bad for you. Any rolled over e-ups that you have left over this year will expire under the old or new policies (because they are the same policy). Any that you have earned this year (presumably 25) will rollover to next year, just as they otherwise would have. So you will have 25 rollover plus 20-25 new at the beginning of next year, with the 25 rollover expiring in January/26 and either 20 or 25 expiring January 2027. If you use the 25 rollover for your trip in December 2025, plus 7 of your new ones, you will still have 18 that will expire January 2027 and get 25 new one in January 2026 that expire in 2028, so you will be set for your next trip and so on and so on. If any of them don't clear, they will be what are now rollover ones that would have expired anyway and now they will be ones that will eventually expire, just 12 months later or at exactly the same time as the rolled over ones.
PS: and now you can go in nasty January or February instead of December, because you won't have to wait for your e-ups to rollover!
Old May 14, 2024, 10:41 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Yep. My employer will pay for Flex, but not Latitude.

I've tried for Premium Economy, but they never clear, ever.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by canopus27
What does the last sentence mean? Is that implying that there won't be a rollover benefit anymore? I don't understand what is in lieu of what.
A full 24 month expiry on every e-up in lieu of a rollover benefit that (sort of) extended expiry by 12 months. The only downside would be for those that waited until July 1 to get 18 month expiry and then still didn't use them in those 18 months, so rolled them over to get 30 month expiry. The issue with rollovers has been the 2 and a half month dead zone after they expired but before they were rolled over, thus my (sort of) qualifier.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:49 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
I believe this is a positive move. For those people who pick their e-ups early in the year, say January, and hold a premium credit card, they will be able to use those eups the year after and will not have to wait until the credit card rolls over the eups as they will be valid for 2 years from the get go.
Example of how I see this as a benefit:
Suppose you selected your Eups in Jan 1, 2025.
Premium CC makes the Eups now valid until end of 2026.
Then a few weeks later, say in March of 2025 you actually saw R space for February 2026 YVR-YYZ. You could book and confirm because you have a valid Eup as the Eup was valid for over a year.

That would be a benefit as my understanding is right now you would not be able to book that flight as you would need to wait until January or whenever Amex/Air Canada rolls over the Eup for the following year.

Does that sound about right???

Like others have said the frustrating thing is the lack of R space, not generally the validity of Eups. I think a better enhancement would be actually adding trans Pacific/Atlatic flights with R space (even if it is just a few flights in the off season) or making it that if you manage to find and use an Eup that your J seat will not be taken away from you.
Old May 14, 2024, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by farnorthtrader
The only loss for those that waited until July 1 to collect e-ups is about 15 days. Before, they would collect them on July 1 in anticipation of using them in the following year (plus 15 days to January 15 of the year after). Now, they can wait until Dec 31 to collect them for use in the following year (or anytime time before that if they have a use for them). They won't have the extra 15 days in the following January, but that is a pretty narrow edge case. And for any rollover, they won't have the dead zone from January 16 to March 31. This is a win for virtually everyone.
As noted above, there is one negative scenario for those that were waiting to select until July 1 each year. Under the current rules, they could select on July 1 and get 18 month expiry and then rollover up to 50 for an additional 12 months or 30 months all together versus a straight 24 months in the new program. Not sure that this would apply to many people but might apply to a few.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.