Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Launching July 1: Extended eUpgrade validity for Aeroplan Premium credit cardholders

Launching July 1: Extended eUpgrade validity for Aeroplan Premium credit cardholders

Old May 17, 2024, 12:17 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
I think this is a great change - I've always believed in the 12 month expiry timeline from when the eUps are earned (and I guess 24 months now with the premium CC), and you still have flexibility in timing of when you want to earn some based on when you select your benefits. I think it's a good balance.
yyznomad likes this.
Old May 17, 2024, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I hope they are considering a premium card offering in the US as they tie more benefits to having one.
Although not getting this particular benefit, I think that the Chase card has better benefits in other ways just because it is a US card. For example I have a "premium" Canadian card but don't get a status bump - which as a 75k I would love!
Old May 18, 2024, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems more or less meaningless to me. Apart from sounding good, that is. But then, won't hurt either.

Indeed, at one end, with high status and rollover, I already find myself swamped with credits I won't use. Admittedly I mostly buy low J fares nowadays. But still, I would likely already have all te credits I might need, if relying more on upgrades.

At the lower end, just looking at upgrade lists for one's flight, it's pretty obvious that people with low status seldom manage to upgrde, so more credits won't help them either.

So, is there still a range in between, where eople manage to use more than the credits they already get? Can't be that many people?
Old May 18, 2024, 11:07 am

Programs: AC SE : Bonvoy Ambassador Elite : 47 Park Street Fractional Owner
My dream is that one day we get a la carte select
benefit options and no fixed benefits.

Give each tier a number of Benefit Dollars and let us spend them on whatever is useful to us
from SQM to eUps to lounge passes to status gifts to boarding zone beyond fare class to cash to anything else.

Calling something that has no value to me a benefit tells me that AC / AP do not understand or value me as a customer and have no desire to do so.
YULRvR likes this.
Old May 18, 2024, 4:20 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by Stranger
So, is there still a range in between, where eople manage to use more than the credits they already get? Can't be that many people?
Multi-year 75K here. 7 TATL legs booked or flown so far in 2024 with AC. Cash Latitude, PY Low cash and PY Flex award. All eUp'd to J except one LRH-YYZ which only cleared to PY. I don't run out of eUps, but I roll over under 50. Have been able to wait until after July 1 so this change doesn't really affect me, though with the change I can probably wait until closer to EOY to choose my select benefits.

Last edited by TechnoTourist; May 18, 2024 at 4:26 pm
Old May 18, 2024, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by painintheuk
Although not getting this particular benefit, I think that the Chase card has better benefits in other ways just because it is a US card. For example I have a "premium" Canadian card but don't get a status bump - which as a 75k I would love!
That benefit would be way too "expensive" to offer in Canada - imagine the number of 35K's all of a sudden becoming E50K's (with all of the Star Gold benefits) and the number of 75K's who would become SE's.
flyingcrooked likes this.
Old May 21, 2024, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
That benefit would be way too "expensive" to offer in Canada - imagine the number of 35K's all of a sudden becoming E50K's (with all of the Star Gold benefits) and the number of 75K's who would become SE's.
I totally agree! I was just pointing out that the Canadian premium cards have some advantages, but the Chase card - while not technically "premium" has its own advantage that we don't get.
Old May 28, 2024, 1:40 pm

Programs: AC SE100K 1MM, FB Platinum, Bonvoy Platinum Elite, IHG Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
I went through the thread and I’m still confused. If I don’t have premium CC:

If I choose benefits before July 1, when exactly will they expire? Dec 2024?

If I choose after July 1, then are they good for a year from that date?

Thanks.
Old May 28, 2024, 1:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan-SE-2018-23/Amex Air Canada Card/Delta Platinum
As I understand the change, any eup awards before July 1 will expire Jan 15th/2025. Any Eups awarded after July 1 will expire in 12 months from award date. It will be 24 months if you have a premium credit card.
Old May 28, 2024, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM, Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Gold, National EE, Sixt Plat, Hz 5*
So I better finally get a premium CC before I select my benefits. I wonder how long it will take after acquiring the premium CC for things like 24 month eups to kick in. I will try to wait at least a month.
Old May 28, 2024, 4:06 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by The Macker
As I understand the change, any eup awards before July 1 will expire Jan 15th/2025. Any Eups awarded after July 1 will expire in 12 months from award date. It will be 24 months if you have a premium credit card.
I am also a bit confused about this. Is that a blanket everything before July 1 expires Jan 15th even with the premium CC? I understand the terminology for after July 1 but for people who were going to rollover eups with earned ones before July 1st is this no longer applicable?
Old May 28, 2024, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by canadianhockey91
I am also a bit confused about this. Is that a blanket everything before July 1 expires Jan 15th even with the premium CC? I understand the terminology for after July 1 but for people who were going to rollover eups with earned ones before July 1st is this no longer applicable?
Rollover for anything earned up to June 30, 2024 (maximum 50) is still in effect for 2024/2025 for premium cardholders
canadianhockey91 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2024, 9:15 am

My brain is currently fried - I'm reading through this but could someone just give me an easy answer to this question:

I have a premium credit card (currently 25K if it matters).
I had eupgrades deposited in Dec 2023 and in Jan 2024. The dashboard says that all of these eupgrades will expire Jan 2025 (I think it's 50 total).
Is this a hard expiry and I should use them all this year, or in January 2024, will I get reissued ones that are valid until Dec 2025/Jan 2026 (e.g. will the 24 month validity period apply to the existing credits?).

Thank you!
Old Jun 6, 2024, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by alwaysxoxo
My brain is currently fried - I'm reading through this but could someone just give me an easy answer to this question:

I had eupgrades deposited in Dec 2023 and in Jan 2024. The dashboard says that all of these eupgrades will expire Jan 2025 (I think it's 50 total).
Is this a hard expiry and I should use them all this year, or in January 2024, will I get reissued ones that are valid until Dec 2025/Jan 2026 (e.g. will the 24 month validity period apply to the existing credits?).

Thank you!
I believe they will expire as noted, but will be subject to the rollover provided by the premium cc. There is one last rollover for expiring e ups (issued between Jan & Jun this year) to be applied early next year.
Old Jun 6, 2024, 9:27 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan
Originally Posted by alwaysxoxo
Thank you!
The 24mo will NOT apply to existing credits. For existing credits:
- Credits that previously rolled over will not re-rollover and will expire (hard expiry) in Jan 25. These credits are the ones with an expiry date of Jan 15, 2024.
- Credits that you earned for the first time this year will roll over once for 1 year only, up to 50 credits. These credits are the ones with an expiry date of Jan 16, 2024.

You may know this already, but you cannot use the credits that will rollover next year for travel after January 16 2025. Even if you have a premium card and know for sure that the credits will rollover, you need to wait for them to roll over before you can use them in 2025. For example, if you have a flight in April and need to use your rollover credits for it, you will only be able to apply the eupgrade credits once they rollover in February or so. That delay is what the change to 24mo fixes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.