Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washing Clothes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by Katja
On the few occasions that I've inquired about laundry service at a hotel, the cost has been a great deal higher than a few cocktails, and the time frame has been outrageous (36-48 hours). I've never availed myself of it, but a couple of colleagues did once when we were unexpectedly required to stay an extra week, and they never saw their shirts again.
I've never had laundry take more than 12 hours--in by 9, back by 6-7 is the norm. I do laundry in hotels probably 20x a year and have never had anything disappear. You are right that it's outrageously expensive, and for the most part I am expensing it, but even if I am on vacation I still do it--it's just part of the cost of the holiday, and for me, well worth the time saved for much more enjoyable endeavors.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
I've never had laundry take more than 12 hours--in by 9, back by 6-7 is the norm. I do laundry in hotels probably 20x a year and have never had anything disappear. You are right that it's outrageously expensive, and for the most part I am expensing it, but even if I am on vacation I still do it--it's just part of the cost of the holiday, and for me, well worth the time saved for much more enjoyable endeavors.
Excellent - I'm happy to stand corrected on this.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

2 months ago laundry took from drop off at 10am, to 4pm the following day. Cost was reasonable.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 3:59 pm

3 hours from drop off to clothes ready last week, and that was 'regular', not 'express' service. And it isn't outrageously expensive in much of the world.

I've never had it take more than a day unless there was some critical issue, or I failed to meet the drop off deadline, or it was over a weekend day.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 12:07 pm

I saw this on the BBC recently https://www.facebook.com/THESCRUBBA

It seems rather expensive, but I suppose that outside a hotel environment, ie camping etc it may be more useful.

A colleague left me several packets of Persil tabs, and I cannot abide the scent. I continue to stock up on Original Source shower gel when it is £1 on sale at Boots (frequently), or Sephora brand shower gel during their twice yearly clearance, and use that.

My favourite however is still Colgate Génie Sans Frotter Gel Express à la Main, which has almost no scent and rinses clear. I cannot find it anywhere except in France and in Switzerland, so if anyone finds it in other countries I would appreciate it (I stock up in France but often run out when on long trips)
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by thiefhunter
Hotel shampoo works perfectly. I've been using it for decades. And I travel a lot; 200+ days a year.
Hotel shampoos are my best friend (and a bargain, too ). They clean stockings, undies, nightgowns, and other unmentionables, as well as lighter items such as blouses in the sink perfectly. Use warm water. I just hang things around the bathroom overnight, and, if necessary, for a few hours the next day. Done. For other items, I use the hotel dry cleaning service, especially at hotels where we have a long-standing relationship.

As other gave said, keeping a few dryer sheets in the suitcase helps keep clothes smelling fresh.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
If you stay at Hyatt, you can get small packets of Woolite as part of the Hyatt Has it Collection.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 1:10 am

Thanks for the reminder re Woolite. That is a suitable alternative for me when my French Palmolive Colgate is not available.

The thought of keeping dryer sheets in my suitcase is not something I would ever do; I cannot stand the smell and never use dryer sheets or fabric softener, even when I do have access to machines (rarely)

I actually sometimes have some open ground espresso in my suitcase to negate odours if I have been somewhere damp, and don't have a chance to air my suitcase outdoors.

The other challenge is that in much of the world, clothing does not dry overnight, and takes 2-3 days even for underthings to dry. Winter in Beijing vs summer in Beijing is a great example - the first takes a few hours, the latter a few days to dry.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 9:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
My business trips last only a few days so all my travel laundry is done on holiday.

For everyone who avoids washing clothes on holiday, I find some laundry is unavoidable. Swimsuits need chlorine or seawater rinsed out. I do this daily because I can't stand the stink and wouldn't dream of paying for it.

I find built-in clothes lines in the shower stall to be of limited use only for the first few hours when wet clothes are at their drippiest. After that the humidity in such a confined space works against me. I have a double twisted elastic travel line with suction cups that can also loop around and clip onto itself. The suction cups are unreliable. I've found my clean clothes on the floor. It's usually easiest to find a place in the bathroom to loop the line but not the best for drying.

At business hotels laundry turnaround time might be reliable but I book a lot of multi-day tours for my holidays. Often our group would arrive for check in early in the evening or check out by early morning so there wouldn't be enough time to get laundry dropped off or make allowance for a late return.

Some helpful tips for laundering at resort hotels: Using the suitcase rack on the balcony for a drying rack. Vinyl coated camping clothespins are lightweight and indestructible. The paper laundry bags supplied by hotels are useful to store incompletely dried items. I hand carry this or lay it on top of my suitcase while in transit to the next destination so the item can still dry through the paper but stay clean.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Fragola

Some helpful tips for laundering at resort hotels: Using the suitcase rack on the balcony for a drying rack.
Hadn't thought of that. Good idea.

Cheers.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by ysolde
Hotel shampoos are my best friend (and a bargain, too ). They clean stockings, undies, nightgowns, and other unmentionables, as well as lighter items such as blouses in the sink perfectly. Use warm water. I just hang things around the bathroom overnight, and, if necessary, for a few hours the next day. Done. For other items, I use the hotel dry cleaning service, especially at hotels where we have a long-standing relationship.

As other gave said, keeping a few dryer sheets in the suitcase helps keep clothes smelling fresh.
Amen to this. I was in the rain forest recently and desperately needed to wash clothes. Shampoo to the rescue. My clothes actually smelled really good, which was a vast improvement, from the shampoo.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by Fragola
I find built-in clothes lines in the shower stall to be of limited use only for the first few hours when wet clothes are at their drippiest. After that the humidity in such a confined space works against me. I have a double twisted elastic travel line with suction cups that can also loop around and clip onto itself. The suction cups are unreliable. I've found my clean clothes on the floor. It's usually easiest to find a place in the bathroom to loop the line but not the best for drying.
Some spare string or these large twist gear ties will help the clips stay attached to odd things http://www.niteize.com/collection/Gear-Tie.asp

I try to find a fan or air vent to help things dry (even brought a small usb powered fan for drying self washed laundry on a transatlantic cruise which only offered laundry service). Sometimes the moving air is what makes the difference on those "pajama tours" with one night stays, especially in humid but cold areas.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 10:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet Rewards
Originally Posted by freecia
I try to find a fan or air vent to help things dry (even brought a small usb powered fan for drying self washed laundry on a transatlantic cruise which only offered laundry service). Sometimes the moving air is what makes the difference on those "pajama tours" with one night stays, especially in humid but cold areas.
Great idea. I've only tried cranky a ceiling fan on HIGH.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Washing Clothes

Recently finished a 14 day trip with stays in 9 different hotels/ cities. Serious issues getting
hand laundry to dry. Not chilly enough for the heat to be on until the last 3 hotels. That helped.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL, UA, WN, Amtrak, Hyatt, Accor
Best way to get hand-washed items to dry is squeeze (not wring - causes wrinkling) water out then place items in a towel on the floor. Fold towel over the items then walk on the towel. This works even in humid jungle climates.

The only time I ever had laundry fail to dry was a 6-hour layover in Mt. Isa (Queensland Australia), before I knew the towel trick. I just folded the pants over my arm and carried them back to the airport. Got some strange looks, but they dried in a few more hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.