Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washing Clothes

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2010, 4:39 am

That's a good idea, keeping Forever New powder in a pill bottle to keep it dry. The packets could possibly get wet through to the powder if left on a wet surface. I haven't had to share a sink with someone who splashes the counter and makes that an issue, but I'll keep it in mind if I ever do. I also like the idea of using the cap to measure out powder.

I just bought another set of inflatable hangers from Going In Style. Each hanger has a built in hanging bar with tiny hooks dangling from the very bottom edge. A picture is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Set-2...pr_product_top
You can hang pants or a scarf or whatever from the bar, which is of a piece with the triangular part designed to dry tops. These inflatables don't appear on goinginstyle.com, though. Only the standard triangular ones do.

I have both styles. The curved plastic hook on the hangers I just bought, the part that goes over the clothes rod, has a larger diameter curve, a longer neck, and is thicker. This hanger will go over larger clothes rods and hang a little lower from the rod. The inflatable plastic seems thicker, too. It's sturdier but also bigger to pack.
Old May 11, 2010, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'm probably the only person on this forum who doesn't wash clothes at the hotel. I guess since I check luggage vs carry-on, I just bring enough. But some good ideas on this thread, so thanks!

Cheers.
Old May 11, 2010, 4:36 pm

Guess I am in the Lettezilla group since I tend to wash my clothes in the shower while I am washing me - using the hotel shampoo for both my hair and the clothes (plus stomping around on the clothes seems to work better for me than swooshing them around in the sink - ). But with all the good ideas posted here, I may have to get with the program and try some of these products, like the Forever New. Thanks for the tips.
Old May 13, 2010, 9:07 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Flyingmama
Guess I am in the Lettezilla group since I tend to wash my clothes in the shower while I am washing me - using the hotel shampoo for both my hair and the clothes (plus stomping around on the clothes seems to work better for me than swooshing them around in the sink - ). But with all the good ideas posted here, I may have to get with the program and try some of these products, like the Forever New. Thanks for the tips.
LOL...in my family, we call this the grape stomping method! Get in the shower, do a quick rinse of your body, throw in the bathtub stopper, add the bottle of hotel shampoo + your clothes, stomp on them while you shower, rinse & hand to dry.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by missydarlin
i have no compunction about carrying powdered detergent on longer trips. Its never been an issue. And I always have at least a couple dryer sheets in my suitcase too.

I also carry a TSA friendly sized bottle with febreeze in it.
I always put a couple of dryer sheets in the mesh part of my suitcases. It keeps the things inside smelling fresh (even when there's dirty clothes and my suitcase never gets that "I haven't been opened in ages" smell if it is not in use for awhile.

Also if you are stuck and need to wear something that you couldn't wash properly you can rub the dryer sheet over it and freshen things up a bit before wearing.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chgoeditor
LOL...in my family, we call this the grape stomping method! Get in the shower, do a quick rinse of your body, throw in the bathtub stopper, add the bottle of hotel shampoo + your clothes, stomp on them while you shower, rinse & hand to dry.
Oh, I have to try that. Sounds so much better than what I do.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 8:11 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum 5 million miles
If you do not consider it to be bad luck to open an umbrella indoors, an open umbrella makes a good drying rack for wet clothes.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 9:45 am

Location: In the process of moving from Dubai back to Tokyo because I didn't like it there. Working in Melaka, Malaysia now.
Programs: No longer loyal to any airline.
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by FlyForFun
If you do not consider it to be bad luck to open an umbrella indoors, an open umbrella makes a good drying rack for wet clothes.
Now THAT is a FABULOUS IDEA!!!!!!!!^
Old Jul 2, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, 1.5MM, Marriot
Originally Posted by FlyForFun
Originally Posted by InTokyo
Now THAT is a FABULOUS IDEA!!!!!!!!^
+1 It's pretty much genius. ^
Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:07 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Originally Posted by WildKat
I always put a couple of dryer sheets in the mesh part of my suitcases. It keeps the things inside smelling fresh (even when there's dirty clothes and my suitcase never gets that "I haven't been opened in ages" smell if it is not in use for awhile.

Also if you are stuck and need to wear something that you couldn't wash properly you can rub the dryer sheet over it and freshen things up a bit before wearing.
I use my little bottle of febreeze when I need to "freshen things up a bit", but I've started taking to carrying a dryersheet in a ziplock bag in my purse, for static cling issues. Great idea to use that for freshening too.

Also, if I'm not planning to travel for a bit, I throw one of those scented potpourri type sachet bags you can get from Bed Bath and Beyond (pomegranate is my fav) into the suitcase before it goes in the closet.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 8:44 pm

I usually only pack a weeks worth of clothes even for my 2 week trips, it makes getting around airports and on and off trains a lot easier with less luggage. Washing or getting clothes dry-cleaned while on the road makes this possible.

Last edited by MissJoeyDFW; Jan 17, 2011 at 1:43 pm
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:01 pm

different place every night=wet clothes?

This summer I'll be driving around and staying in different places every night. Not sure how to wash heavy things like jeans and thicker t-shirts... but guessing a laundromat is my only option.

Do you have another idea?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:16 pm

I found one-use packets of Tide at the drugstore before I left. A little bit pricy ( I think it was $2.99 for 3). I also carry a detergent stick that I got in the Philippines. I haven't noticed any difference between using the tide and using one-use packets of shampoo.

Jeans are the real problem for me as well because I don't want to dry mine. It takes a few days of planning--usually I scout around for a laundromat and try and wash it myself so I can know for sure they won't get dried.

My latest technique involves just bringing extra undies and wearing the same clothes every day. No one seems to notice.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by haniboo
This summer I'll be driving around and staying in different places every night. Not sure how to wash heavy things like jeans and thicker t-shirts... but guessing a laundromat is my only option.

Do you have another idea?
Jeans are the worst when you need to air dry. On my last trip to Europe I didn't bring any since I'd wear them once or twice and then just end up carrying them dirty for the rest of the trip since I couldn't wash them out.

The best thing I have found is to invest in some clothes that dry very quickly:

My favorite fast dry shirt

Pants
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: CO Gold, Marriott Platinum
1. I'm a fan of Tide Sticks for small stains. Sometimes it does the whole job, sometimes it's just a good pre-treatment.

2. I buy storage size ZipLocks and pack socks and undies in them on the way out, then use them for laundry on the way back. If the trip is just 2 or 3 days, I can pack enough. If not, then I do my wash. I find my stuff often takes more than overnight to dry, but on a longer stay it isn't a problem. I love the idea of using them as "washing-machines".

3. If needed, I find a local dry cleaners and drop off my stuff, asking for same-day delivery, then pick up that night or the next AM.

4. Hotel cleaning of washables (socks and undies) is too expensive. I find it cheaper to go to WalMart and buy new. (Which, from time to time, isn't such a bad thing.)

5. On two week trips, I search for "Apartment Hotel" and often find a place in a new building that isn't fully rented yet. The owners are covering some costs by renting apartments as long-stay rooms. Typical minimum is 7 or 10, sometimes 14 days. They nearly always have a washer/dryer in the apartment. Also, generally nice furniture, full kitchens and high speed (really!) internet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.