Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does US have a 24 Hour Penalty Free Cancellation/Refund Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
It's about darn time. Geez.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just called to confirm this also applies to DM tickets (awards)

Last edited by lt1GM; Sep 13, 2010 at 5:15 pm Reason: found the facts
Old Sep 14, 2010, 2:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I appreciate that US has instituted this "new" policy of a 24-hour grace period. However, I do not appreciate how this is not mentioned anywhere on the website, nor mentioned at booking. I did a dummy booking, and there was absolutely no mention of having a 24-hour cancellation period. CO, DL, and UA clearly states that cancellations for a full refund is allowed within 24 hours. US does not. It's only through FF that I'm aware of this - the novice user would be left to think US still doesn't have a 24 hour cancellation policy.

Not classy at all.
Old Sep 14, 2010, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by lt1GM
I wish there was something on us.com
Old Sep 15, 2010, 2:36 am

Originally Posted by lt1GM
How long has this been in place.?
the awards dept wrongly booked one of my sectors in J instead of F I called a few mins later and they charged me $150 to re issue.there was no arguing if I wanted F I had to pay the reissue

they have also tried to charge me $US250 re issue twice before I pointed out that it says $150 on the eticket.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tinkybelle
How long has this been in place.?
the awards dept wrongly booked one of my sectors in J instead of F I called a few mins later and they charged me $150 to re issue.there was no arguing if I wanted F I had to pay the reissue
I think you should fight this, just show them the rest of the itin and the mileage deducted. I was once able to get a free reissue when an agent gave me wrong info.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 9:13 am

When my request for refund was rejected the first time, the US agent told me that it was rejected because I did not specify that my cancellation was done within 24 hours.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by RDUPHL
When my request for refund was rejected the first time, the US agent told me that it was rejected because I did not specify that my cancellation was done within 24 hours.
How lame! I wonder if this is a matter of incompetency or intentionally making it as hard as possible for customers to take advantage of their "customer friendly" policies...
Old Sep 16, 2010, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Andy1369
However, I do not appreciate how this is not mentioned anywhere on the website
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/about...rviceplan.html

See: "Allow reservations to be canceled without penalty for a defined period of time"
Old Sep 16, 2010, 5:47 am

Programs: None
But what percentage of people can find the Customer Service Plan, much less actually read it?

Jim
Old Sep 23, 2010, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BoeingBoy
But what percentage of people can find the Customer Service Plan, much less actually read it?

Jim
Yeah, it's not easy. I searched the US website for both "refund" and "cancel" and this policy did not come up. I did get a match for the General US Airways Refund Policy. Surprisingly (or not?) there is no mention of the 24 hour grace period.

I came to FlyerTalk and searched the US forum for "refund" in the title, and this was the first thread that came up. @:-) ^

Of course, now I can find the Customer Service Plan and I see the documentation, but it was not the first or second place that I would have thought to look...
Old Sep 23, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: None
Tell me about it. How many people even notice the small words at the bottom of the home page, then how many of those would think to look under "Company Info"?

They did finally put it under the "Contact US" link at the top of the home page, but how many people would put together contacting US and the contract of carriage?

Jim
Old Sep 23, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat; Hyatt Diamond
From the US air website (http://www.usairways.com/en-US/about...iceplan.html):

Allow reservations to be canceled without penalty for a defined period of time
US Airways will cancel a purchased ticket for a full refund without penalty for up to 24 hours after purchase, in order to give customers an opportunity to check for lower fares through other distribution systems, such as travel agents or the internet.
This policy applies to refundable as well as non-refundable fares.

Refunds will be processed via the US Airways refund department regardless of when the tickets were purchased and the type of ticket (paper or electronic). Changes made to the itinerary more than 24 hours after purchase will be assessed the current change fee regardless of when the tickets were purchased.

Last edited by vegasflyer; Sep 23, 2010 at 5:57 pm Reason: error
Old Nov 20, 2010, 8:59 am

Warning! US Air denied a refund for my reservation, which was canceled less than 24 hours after booking.

After waiting a week for the refund to show up, I contacted US Airways to check on the posting date for the refund. Ann from the refund department informed me that while I had indeed canceled within 24 hours, I was not eligible for a refund because I did not fill out a separate refund request form within 24 hours of the reservation. That procedure is not what is written on their website.

Clearly, their customer service plan only states canceling for a refund and nothing about submitting a separate request for a refund. It seems like they may be making up the rules as they go. So I will have to contest the charge with my credit card... who knows how that will turn out. This is a hassle for traveler who has status on other airlines and was looking to resume flying US Airways again since I am to start flying into a new city.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vegasflyer
The link does not seem to work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.