Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does US have a 24 Hour Penalty Free Cancellation/Refund Policy?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2010, 2:18 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
Some corporate travel agents do, however, have arrangements with US that you can do 24 hour cancellation. My current and previous companies both have that ability.
Old May 12, 2010, 10:35 pm

Programs: US Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5-Star
Originally Posted by bitburgr
Some corporate travel agents do, however, have arrangements with US that you can do 24 hour cancellation. My current and previous companies both have that ability.
CO gives you a 24-hour window which is very nice and customer-centric.
Old May 13, 2010, 12:39 am

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Hypothetical since I didn't see verbage on UA or CO explicitly denying this:

What if you book a UA codeshare on .bomb with all or perhaps only one segment on US metal? Does UA's 24 hour policy cover this?

Another hypothetical - Assume the first scenario is no. What about a codeshare on CO metal purchased on .bomb (or vice versa)? Since both CO and UA have 24 hour policies, would you be covered this way?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:52 pm

Found this on USAir site:

"Allow reservations to be canceled without penalty for a defined period of time
US Airways will cancel a purchased ticket for a full refund without penalty for up to 24 hours after purchase, in order to give customers an opportunity to check for lower fares through other distribution systems, such as travel agents or the internet.
This policy applies to refundable as well as non-refundable fares.

Refunds will be processed via the US Airways refund department regardless of when the tickets were purchased and the type of ticket (paper or electronic). Changes made to the itinerary more than 24 hours after purchase will be assessed the current change fee regardless of when the tickets were purchased.

Provide prompt ticket refunds
US Airways will refund tickets purchased within the last 24 hours, and fully-refundable unused tickets purchased by credit card, within seven business days of receipt of the refund application. Tickets purchased within the last 24 hours, and refundable unused tickets purchased with cash or check, will be refunded within 20 business days of receipt of the refund application.

All refund requests are entered into a tracking system by refund type, date of receipt and date of correspondence.
".

I just cancelled my reservation within 1 hour of puchasing the ticket.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:52 pm

Yup. It changed around July 7 as part of their new customer care policy in, I think, response to recent DOT urgings. My understanding is that they have made a corresponding change making some restrictions with respect to 24 hour holds.

I was able to cancel a reservation and seek a full refund without a problem a few days ago.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by RDUPHL

US Airways will cancel a purchased ticket for a full refund without penalty for up to 24 hours after purchase, in order to give customers an opportunity to check for lower fares through other distribution systems, such as travel agents or the internet.

Refunds will be processed via the US Airways refund department regardless of when the tickets were purchased and the type of ticket (paper or electronic). Changes made to the itinerary more than 24 hours after purchase will be assessed the current change fee regardless of when the tickets were purchased.

US Airways will refund tickets purchased within the last 24 hours, and fully-refundable unused tickets purchased by credit card, within seven business days of receipt of the refund application. Tickets purchased within the last 24 hours, and refundable unused tickets purchased with cash or check, will be refunded within 20 business days of receipt of the refund application.

All refund requests are entered into a tracking system by refund type, date of receipt and date of correspondence.
".

Excellent, thanks for posting, hope AA follows.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy

What if you book a UA codeshare on .bomb with all or perhaps only one segment on US metal? Does UA's 24 hour policy cover this?

Another hypothetical - Assume the first scenario is no. What about a codeshare on CO metal purchased on .bomb (or vice versa)? Since both CO and UA have 24 hour policies, would you be covered this way?
I think it does, but can someone else clarify?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
have to call in?

So, not being a high level elite on US like I used to be, I have found myself flying them increasingly more due to *A codeshare w/CO.
And, was ecstatic to read under the revised Customer First policy that they would allow 24 hour refunds.

Went to take advantage of this, and cancel w/in 24 hour only led to an e-mail indicating 'future value'. Had to call - the CSR indicated 'new policy not too familiar with it' - didn;t know if I shoudl be able to do it online, but requested refund and noted account.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: US -Plat, UA-Plat, AA-Plat, Marriott - Platinum,
Originally Posted by bitburgr
Some corporate travel agents have negotiated a 24 hr cancellation period on purchased tickets. My last company did.
+1 We use AMEX at my company and I've been able to do this as well
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:56 am

".

This post just saved me $80! I booked a flight yesterday and saw today that the price had dropped by $80...so I called, quoted them the policy, and they're refunding me the difference, no problem.

Thanks, FT!
Old Sep 7, 2010, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy

Originally Posted by UA Fan
I think it does, but can someone else clarify?
Anyone know this?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
I cancelled a flight within 24 hours and the refund showed up 2 days later on my credit card. Wish they would let you cancel online like you can with delta...although they are probably trying to keep this 24 hour cancel policy on the down low
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:16 pm

".

Just to follow up on my refund request process. Apparrently, just cancelled online within 24 hours is not enough. I have to fax the request to the US refund department. Days later, got an email from the refund department stating that the ticket is non-refundable (Another poster received the same sort of email). Have to call customer service and she said her supervisor will put in the refund request again. Seems like you will get the automatic rejection email first and then have to call customer service.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
This is a great change in policy. Is it better to book directly on USAir website - is it more hassle to get a refund if I don't? (E.g., on the UA website.) I've actually never booked a ticket through USair directly.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
some more info

Just booked a ticket on US, was told no more hold allowed but tickets can be refunded within 24 hours or booking.

Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.