Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does US have a 24 Hour Penalty Free Cancellation/Refund Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2010, 9:21 pm

Learn something new from flyertalk all the time Just canceled some award reservations made yesterday.
Old Dec 2, 2010, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Centurion
Learn something new from flyertalk all the time Just canceled some award reservations made yesterday.
Did they give you any grief about it? Were all fees refunded?
Old Dec 3, 2010, 5:17 pm

No grief yet...They did charge me $35. additonal on each ticket besides taxes...Not sure if this is last minute ticketing fee or fee for phone service yet. Tickets were international so not sure if that counts for 21 day window early ticket fee. Also I was forced to ticket via phone because online would not complete the purchase window for some reason.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 12:46 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by cloudy22
Warning! US Air denied a refund for my reservation, which was canceled less than 24 hours after booking.

After waiting a week for the refund to show up, I contacted US Airways to check on the posting date for the refund. Ann from the refund department informed me that while I had indeed canceled within 24 hours, I was not eligible for a refund because I did not fill out a separate refund request form within 24 hours of the reservation. That procedure is not what is written on their website.

Clearly, their customer service plan only states canceling for a refund and nothing about submitting a separate request for a refund. It seems like they may be making up the rules as they go. So I will have to contest the charge with my credit card... who knows how that will turn out. This is a hassle for traveler who has status on other airlines and was looking to resume flying US Airways again since I am to start flying into a new city.
Anyone else with more recent experience? I am contemplating booking a US flight and trying to decide whether I should book directly via US vs. 3rd party sites such as Orbitz. If I get the run around with US should I need to cancel within 24 hrs, I might as well book with someone else and forgo the potential 24-hour cancellation policy.

LAX
Old Jan 19, 2011, 6:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by LAX
Anyone else with more recent experience? I am contemplating booking a US flight and trying to decide whether I should book directly via US vs. 3rd party sites such as Orbitz. If I get the run around with US should I need to cancel within 24 hrs, I might as well book with someone else and forgo the potential 24-hour cancellation policy.

LAX
If you call and cancel your reservation (assuming its booked directly via US), you will have no issue. They will cancel and refund your reservation on the call. However if you cancel on the website and then do not complete the refund request form (or call immediately for the refund), then you may have a problem. So your easiest solution is just to call and take care of it.
Old Jan 19, 2011, 10:14 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by TiredOfTooMuchTravel
If you call and cancel your reservation (assuming its booked directly via US), you will have no issue. They will cancel and refund your reservation on the call. However if you cancel on the website and then do not complete the refund request form (or call immediately for the refund), then you may have a problem. So your easiest solution is just to call and take care of it.
Thanks! I always called to cancel a reservation when I needed to with CO even though I get put on hold. If that's the case, I will book directly with US.

LAX
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:13 pm

Sadly, I was not aware of all of this I searched and saw their 24 hour refund policy and thought you 'buy online' and you 'cancel online'. So I did that and was waiting for my refund to credit. Obviously it did not. Now I am guessing I'm stuck with two 'credits' and will not be able to get the refund that seemed guaranteed How do I redeem these credits towards a new reservation? Can it be done online? Thanks.
Old Mar 27, 2011, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA,UA
Neither was I and I purchased a ticket w/a voucher I received to position myself for the SEA-South America deal a few weeks ago. There was about a $70 balance (which I know isn't a lot) that I paid and before purchasing, I asked the rep for refund/cancellation terms & conditions and she was not clear that I would get a credit and not the refund directly to my card. When I called back less than 30 mins later, I was told again that I'd get the refund to my card. The customer services reps seem just as confused and throughout the process I received not one email confirmation. I've learned my lesson.
Old May 30, 2011, 7:39 am

I cancelled on line before 24 hours this morning and then I called to make sure I would get a refund, the guy did not have a good command of English and seemed hesitant to refund. I told him twice (nicely) it says within 24hours on the site, and finally he said he would process the request - he said it would take 7-10days to go through. He gave me my ticket numbers (already had them) to check refund on line. Hopefully this goes through and I don't have to hassle around again with them.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:55 pm

I got an email today that my refund is in process, "may take 2 billing cycles" - happy I am getting it without a hassle
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by lkar
Yup. It changed around July 7 as part of their new customer care policy in, I think, response to recent DOT urgings. My understanding is that they have made a corresponding change making some restrictions with respect to 24 hour holds.

I was able to cancel a reservation and seek a full refund without a problem a few days ago.
Originally Posted by TAWS
I cancelled a flight within 24 hours and the refund showed up 2 days later on my credit card. Wish they would let you cancel online like you can with delta...although they are probably trying to keep this 24 hour cancel policy on the down low
Originally Posted by cloudy22
Warning! US Air denied a refund for my reservation, which was canceled less than 24 hours after booking.

After waiting a week for the refund to show up, I contacted US Airways to check on the posting date for the refund. Ann from the refund department informed me that while I had indeed canceled within 24 hours, I was not eligible for a refund because I did not fill out a separate refund request form within 24 hours of the reservation. That procedure is not what is written on their website.

Clearly, their customer service plan only states canceling for a refund and nothing about submitting a separate request for a refund. It seems like they may be making up the rules as they go. So I will have to contest the charge with my credit card... who knows how that will turn out. This is a hassle for traveler who has status on other airlines and was looking to resume flying US Airways again since I am to start flying into a new city.
First time 24-hour "canceller" as per new policy. Made reservation on line late afternoon, realized by evening it was not going to fly (figuratively), called premier desk and cancelled same evening. So far so good: In on-line system, now shows as cancelled.

But color me anxious. There is nothing on the cancellation that shows that I did it within 24 hours of booking. The kind and knowledgeable agent acknowledged that there is no cancellation number that accompanies the interchange (I did get her name) and ... I don't know ... complex system ... things fall through the cracks. The limited data above suggest (dog that does not bark, and all that...) that no one on this board has had trouble when scrupulously following the rule (telephonic cancellation). But has anyone come up with a way to "validate" or otherwise "memorialize" the occurrence of this oral interchange pending the credit card refund?

(It was/is a "big ticket" item, hence would be painful to chalk up to experience in the event of miscue....)
Old Nov 17, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA PRO
I did a 24 hour cancellation about 2 weeks ago. Booked online, called CP desk a couple hours later to cancel. Was told it would take 7-10 business days to process, and the refund appeared on my credit card activity in exactly that timeframe.

FWIW, I rebooked the same city pairs etc with different number of pax. Both reservations still appear in my online profile, but as you note the one does say "cancelled".

My advice is to wait patiently - but nervously - for a week, and check your credit card activity each day. If its not there in the right time frame, start calling again. I'm sure it'll be fine though.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 2:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by intub8r
I did a 24 hour cancellation about 2 weeks ago. Booked online, called CP desk a couple hours later to cancel. Was told it would take 7-10 business days to process, and the refund appeared on my credit card activity in exactly that timeframe.

FWIW, I rebooked the same city pairs etc with different number of pax. Both reservations still appear in my online profile, but as you note the one does say "cancelled".

My advice is to wait patiently - but nervously - for a week, and check your credit card activity each day. If its not there in the right time frame, start calling again. I'm sure it'll be fine though.
Good advice, and thanks for the testimonial. Like I said above, the absence of people rushing to tell horror stories strikes me as good news. Was wanting to make sure while I am (was) still within 24 hour window and that I was not forgetting to do something that could bite me later.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by intub8r
I did a 24 hour cancellation about 2 weeks ago. Booked online, called CP desk a couple hours later to cancel. Was told it would take 7-10 business days to process
This is not uncommon. I just don't understand what is happening for 7-10 business days.This is straightforward and should be completely automated.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA PRO
You're right - doesn't take them 7-10 days to charge my card on the purchase side! Haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.