Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PSA livery just landed at PHX (US a/c livery discussion)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by PHL
The US 319's used to cross the country more. The entire design was based on building a narrow body plane that could exceed the 737 (at the time) in range to create a true USA transcon aircraft. PHL-LAX had a lot of 319's on them before the 321's became the primary replacement to the 757 for that route.
Not arguing that at all. A319 certainly has a enough of a range. But with less flights and being more full it makes more sense to use larger planes on longer flights. Hence you are less likely to see those handful of legacy liverys crossing the USEast/USWest zones.
Old Jun 27, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: None
Correct - at the time the 320 family was being designed the 737-300/400 was the longest range 737 available (not counting the BBJ version). So Airbus designed the 319 to have more than transcon max range, the 320 to have nearly transcon range (max range was transcon but alternate fuel requirements shortened the effective range) and the 321 even at max range wasn't able to do transcons. Airbus added a center section with more fuel capacity to the 321 and achieve mostly transcon range with normal headwinds westbound. If memory serves, and more and more it doesn't, US was the N. America launch customer for the longer range A321.

Jim
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:38 pm

I would guess that they'll retain a heritage US plane. They've already mentioned a heritage TWA, so I'm also guessing there'll be a heritage "AA" livery too.

I don't think they have any of the older US liveries as hertiage paint jobs, though (navy blue or the USAir).
Old Jun 27, 2014, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by alanh
I don't think they have any of the older US liveries as hertiage paint jobs, though (navy blue or the USAir).
You've got to go further back for the heritage US - all the way back to when it was Allegheny Airlines. The navy blue was the then current US livery when US and HP merged so I guess wasn't considered a legacy livery.

Jim
Old Jun 28, 2014, 1:49 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
First off, that PSA plane is a disgrace to the real PSA. A lot of us former PSA travelers have a great deal of disdain for USAir. They also need to paint it up: it was faded when I saw it in CLT 4 years back.

Second, US just started cross fleeting a few months ago, so now any US Airbus pilot can fly any US plane. Prior to cross fleeting, US East pilots could only fly US East metal and the Cactus pilots could only fly the US West metal. The PSA, Allegheny and Piedmont legacy planes are East planes and the AWE ones are West metal. This is why you rarely saw the PSA one on the west coast.

Now FINALLY, we can see that PSA plane in San Diego or PHX flying some legacy PSA routes.
Old Jun 28, 2014, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by tusphotog
so now any US Airbus pilot can fly any US plane.
I think what you meant by that is right but the way it's phrased makes it wrong. Pilot on either side are still limited to the plane type they're currently trained on so a US A320 pilot can fly any US A320 family plane They can not fly any other US types until retrained on another US type, at which point they can only fly that US type.

Also, cross fleeting is when US flies traditional AA or AA & US common routes and vice versa. It does not directly affect who can fly US or AA planes although any change in block hours could affect the number of pilots needed for a specific type plane.

Jim

Last edited by BoeingBoy; Jun 28, 2014 at 3:28 am
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:15 am

I guess this explains why CLT is seeing the state flag themed airframes a little bit more often these days. The Arizona and Nevada planes were popping in and out of CLT the last few weeks.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat/AA,DL Dirt/HH Diamond,Hyatt Something-ist/Hz Prez,Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by bitburgr
I saw the America West plane at PHL last week. It's been a while since I've flown and my first reaction was "wow, that plane is OLD".
I flew on the CO retrojet (a 737-900 delivered new to CO in 2009; still flying in those colors for UA) in March and heard people in the terminal remarking "how old that plane must be"....

Somewhere on the internet I believe there is a picture of the trifecta--the Allegheny, PSA, and Piedmont retro planes all together at a terminal--plus a blue US airways and a now-probably-either-repainted-or-retired NWA in the background to boot. Too bad the America West one wasn't there too.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 7:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
This page on the US site (about halfway down) has pictures of all of the heritage aircraft, then sports-themed, and states:

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/about...om/photos.html

This Wikipedia page has those, and stories about former specialty liveries:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airways_livery
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
The 734s are not being painted and the 762s are not being pained in the AA scheme.

About 1/2 dozen 319s have been painted (starting with the US 319s that were in the OneWorld livery).

Some of the old America West A320s (those with V2500 -A1 engines) are being retired and they will not be painted.

No wide bodies will be painted until the winter when the off-season schedule allows for birds to be taken out of service.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by tusphotog
First off, that PSA plane is a disgrace to the real PSA. A lot of us former PSA travelers have a great deal of disdain for USAir. They also need to paint it up: it was faded when I saw it in CLT 4 years back.
I understand your venting, but as a former PSA flyer too, I am very heartened to see the plane. I took it about a year ago down to CLT and the paint was in good shape.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 12:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
The 734s are not being painted and the 762s are not being pained in the AA scheme.

About 1/2 dozen 319s have been painted (starting with the US 319s that were in the OneWorld livery).

Some of the old America West A320s (those with V2500 -A1 engines) are being retired and they will not be painted.

No wide bodies will be painted until the winter when the off-season schedule allows for birds to be taken out of service.
I'm sure you mean that they began with the Star Alliance livery aircraft.

Prior to the merger, I don't see why US would have had any aircraft in the oneworld livery.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Wasn't there one 333 in *A livery. If so it would have been among the first painted in the new AA entry (or OW livery). Until the summer travel season started the A332 deliveries provided plenty of extra planes for A330 painting to happen.

Jim
Old Jul 3, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Saw this freshly painted 319 in PHX the other day.

Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
I saw the Allegheny bird was in PHX the evening of 7/30.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.