Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Transportation Voucher Link to this page; Link to Terms and Conditions

A Transportation Voucher is a coupon to be used toward travel on US Airways and US Airways Express. Transportation Vouchers may be valid for stand-by or confirmed travel, one-way or roundtrip passage, and/or coach or first-class accommodations, or for a specified dollar amount.

Redemption instructions
  • Transportation Vouchers may be used toward tickets to any US Airways or US Airways Express destination.
  • To book and redeem your Transportation Voucher, you may contact Reservations at 800-428-4322. Please let the agent know that you have a Transportation Voucher to ensure accurate pricing information. You’ll need to have your voucher in hand at the time of purchase.
  • You may also redeem your ticket at any US Airways ticket counter, US Airways City Ticket Office or travel agency. Present the Transportation Voucher with payment.
  • Transportation Vouchers may not be used to purchase a ticket online.

General information and restrictions
  • Travel is not eligible for Dividend Miles credit.
  • Transportation Vouchers are valid for 1 year from the issue date unless noted otherwise.
  • Transportation Vouchers may be combined or used with gift certificates to purchase 1 ticket.
  • Transportation Vouchers are transferable as a gift if a passenger name has not been entered.
  • The value of Transportation Vouchers is not refundable.

Read few first posts for more details, but compare to more recent terms and conditions (linked to above) to assure information is all current.)

updated 10 Mar 2015

Print Wikipost

The definitive guide to US VDB vouchers.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:33 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by DCAMatt
None at all - It's a use it or lose it thing... As stated by the OP it's good for only ONE ticket as well. I just got back from a trip to Rome using 2 VDB vouchers that me and my partner got from a holiday flight. The miles posted in both of our accounts. I did have to book over the phone and to use 2 vouchers we had to be on separate PNRs.
Wow, that's annoying. Maybe I'll use it for a trip to Europe...

Do you know if it's valid on codeshare or is it US metal only?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SamOF

US metal only. Should say on the ticket you have.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
I don't think this thread should be called the "definitive guide"

If we're talking about the new "Take Flight Certificates" I would say NOT TRUE. I've received just under $3,000 in TFCs since December and have used them on codeshare itineraries. I have confirmed use with an intinerary to BCN and a codeshare itinerary on UA metal to HKG. The below terms are printed on boarding pass stock along with the TFC when given to a VDB passenger. I've copied the terms from my latest one below.

Take Flight Certificate
Terms and Conditions
1. Dollars Off Travel TFC may be applied towards purchase of one ticket. The original oversold flight segment determines the value. CODESHARE FLIGHTS PERMITTED.
2. TFC is Transferrable with Valid PIN and must be redeemed within one year from issue date.
3. TFC may be exchanged for travel on US Airways, US Airways Express and US Airways Shuttle. Cannot be used towards Re-issue of previously issued ticket or service charge. Cannot be combined with any other documents. TFC transferrable only before ticketing.
4. Taxes, Surcharges, and feed are the responsibility of the user and must be paid at the time of ticketing.
5. Stopovers are not permitted. Co-tetrminals and open jaws permitted.
6. Redeem at any US Airways ticketing office or call reservations.
7. For further information on terms and conditions please visit our website at www.usairways.com

Originally Posted by GoodOmens
US metal only. Should say on the ticket you have.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 12:15 pm

Yeah it's very annoying SamOF. I've been fortunate enough to get 6 certificates for almost $3000 worth of credit. That being said they were all larger amounts so I did some MR's to Europe and Anchorage. I'm also in the DC area hit me up if you find a good MR or have one in mind you need a fellow FT'er to go on a run with you.

Originally Posted by SamOF

Old Mar 24, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Yeah it's very annoying SamOF. I've been fortunate enough to get 6 certificates for almost $3000 worth of credit. That being said they were all larger amounts so I did some MR's to Europe and Anchorage. I'm also in the DC area hit me up if you find a good MR or have one in mind you need a fellow FT'er to go on a run with you.
Thanks for all your help! I'm normally a Delta flyer, but finally made 2P on United last year so have been Star Alliancing a bit lately. Of all the bad things about DL, their VDB vouchers are basically gift cards (residual value, good for any purchase, combinable, etc...)

Same to you—definitely let me know if you find a good mr and need a buddy!
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Firstly, thanks colpuck for creating this thread! In the hopes of updating the first post to improve the "definitiveness" of it, can others with experience or questions summarize those experiences and questions/answers?

It's been too long since I've received VDB vouchers on US , but here's what I recall - please let me know what's inaccurate:

Regions/Values:
1 - $200 - Contiguous US, Canada
2 - $300 - Alaska, Hawaii, Central America, Caribbean
3 - $400 - Europe

I don't know if there's a new region for TLV or where GRU will fall into this. Can you get vouchers greater than $400? I always thought $400 for a forced overnight to/from Europe was ridiculously stingy, but you could usually confirm a business class seat on the next flight so it wasn't quiet as terrible.

Codeshares:
It seems some vouchers allow redemption on codeshare carriers while others do not. Does anyone have further details on this?

Residual Value:
US Airways vouchers DO NOT provide residual value. Use it in one booking or lose it.

Transferability:
US Airways vouchers CAN be transferred to another individual prior to ticketing. There may be language in the vouchers restricting transfer (e.g. not for resale/barter).

Combinability:
Vouchers cannot be combined (this may be a technical issue as each voucher is associated with a specific PNR).

Booking:
Vouchers can be used for a "free seat" or as a dollar-off credit on a paid ticket. If used for a free seat, booking class "X" is used and you can verify if seats will be available by looking for a "Low" (green) category award seat on the US website. If used as a dollar-off credit, be aware that vouchers can only be used on a single ticket and no residual value is given (e.g. a $200 voucher used as a dollar-off credit for a $150 ticket will provide $0 back).

Also be aware you must pay all taxes and fees, whether the voucher is used for a "free seat" or as a dollar-off credit.

Mileage Earning:
If used as a dollar-off credit, you will earn miles for the ticket (this may depend on which program you credit to). If used as a "free seat", you will not normally earn miles as the ticket is booked in X class (award coach). Of course, if you are re-routed or your reservation is otherwise modified, it is possible you could earn miles, but this would be a very rare occurrence.

What other important notes should be included on the first post? Are the regions/values listed above still current or are they now wildly out of date?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by vysean
Firstly, thanks colpuck for creating this thread! In the hopes of updating the first post to improve the "definitiveness" of it, can others with experience or questions summarize those experiences and questions/answers?

It's been too long since I've received VDB vouchers on US , but here's what I recall - please let me know what's inaccurate:

Regions/Values:
1 - $200 - Contiguous US, Canada
2 - $300 - Alaska, Hawaii, Central America, Caribbean
3 - $400 - Europe
From my recent experience they are only giving out "Take Flight Certificates". These certificates amounts vary widely based on flight destination / length. Since this past Christmas I have received various amounts 1) 2 x $500 Take Flight Certs for a flight DCA to FLL on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day double bump 2) Flights DCA to PHX $325, $400, $500, $550, $600. The amounts were all computer generated based on loads. The $400 certificate was a bump due to weight restrictions. There are only 3 directs a day DCA to PHX so I think the length between flights may be a factor

I don't know if there's a new region for TLV or where GRU will fall into this. Can you get vouchers greater than $400? I always thought $400 for a forced overnight to/from Europe was ridiculously stingy, but you could usually confirm a business class seat on the next flight so it wasn't quiet as terrible.

Codeshares:
It seems some vouchers allow redemption on codeshare carriers while others do not. Does anyone have further details on this?

Every voucher I have received has the same terms and conditions as I posted in an earlier post. Codeshares have been allowed and I have used a TFC on a codeshare flight.

Residual Value:
US Airways vouchers DO NOT provide residual value. Use it in one booking or lose it.

Transferability:
US Airways vouchers CAN be transferred to another individual prior to ticketing. There may be language in the vouchers restricting transfer (e.g. not for resale/barter).
This is a great feature and seems to be something they quickly disclose when trying to get volunteers. There is a 4 digit PIN number needed to redeem - sometimes they ask you to select a PIN and sometimes they put it to 1234, or the flight number etc.

Combinability:
Vouchers cannot be combined (this may be a technical issue as each voucher is associated with a specific PNR).
Vouchers definitely can't be combined - I got back from a Rome trip using vouchers 2 days ago. I used a voucher for me and my partner - both put on seperate PNR's but somehow linked. I was also able to use my Chairman's Envoy certs on both despite them being on seperate PNRs.

Booking:
Vouchers can be used for a "free seat" or as a dollar-off credit on a paid ticket. If used for a free seat, booking class "X" is used and you can verify if seats will be available by looking for a "Low" (green) category award seat on the US website. If used as a dollar-off credit, be aware that vouchers can only be used on a single ticket and no residual value is given (e.g. a $200 voucher used as a dollar-off credit for a $150 ticket will provide $0 back).

Also be aware you must pay all taxes and fees, whether the voucher is used for a "free seat" or as a dollar-off credit.

Something I have noticed is that the taxes seem to be different when using vouchers. My WAS>FCO was taxed at less than $42 RT per ticket after vouchers - base fare was $0. I used a $325 voucher for a last minute fare to MAN - I paid a base fare of about $40 and the rep had to call the "rates" desk to figure the taxes.

I used a $600 voucher for a short weekend in ANC and the base far was $0 and I was Charged absolutely nothing - $0 after voucher. Nice surprise.

Mileage Earning:
If used as a dollar-off credit, you will earn miles for the ticket (this may depend on which program you credit to). If used as a "free seat", you will not normally earn miles as the ticket is booked in X class (award coach). Of course, if you are re-routed or your reservation is otherwise modified, it is possible you could earn miles, but this would be a very rare occurrence.

What other important notes should be included on the first post? Are the regions/values listed above still current or are they now wildly out of date?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 11:38 am

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Thanks, DCAMatt!

It sounds as if US has gotten far more generous with the voucher amounts. I'll definitely look forward to future bump opportunities.

I'm very confused on the codeshare thing - I know your included T&C's state in item 1 that "CODESHARES ARE PERMITTED", but in item 3 it states, "TFC may be exchanged for travel on US Airways, US Airways Express and US Airways Shuttle.", which would seem to contradict that.

So you mention only dollar-off amounts. Were the vouchers also good for a free seat in the same region as the flight segment you were bumping from?

FWIW, I haven't received bump vouchers since 2007 or maybe 2008, and at the time I think these were called RTFC - and if I recall correctly it stood for "Round-Trip Flight Credit".
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:48 pm

Programs: USAIR gold, HH diamond, SPG gold
I just redeemed a $200 voucher I received from being bumped off a domestic flight. I had to push the agent to keep asking supervisors in order to use the $200 credit for a flight to Mexico, but she finally agreed I was right. It's my understanding that you can use the voucher for either a free flight within the zone you were originally bumped from, or you can use the dollar off amount for any trip, which would include codeshares.

Not only can one collect miles if you use the voucher for dollars off instead of a free round trip, but you are eligible for preferred upgrades as well and there are no blackout restrictions or limited seat inventory.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: US CP, UA, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, DL, AA, CO, ++
I've seen LOWER amounts recently.

100$ for LAS-PHX
150$ for PHL-CLT

Not exactly big money...

HTSC
Old Mar 25, 2010, 4:46 pm

Glad you pushed the agent and got things booked. When did you receive your voucher?

Originally Posted by TRAVELBABE
I just redeemed a $200 voucher I received from being bumped off a domestic flight. I had to push the agent to keep asking supervisors in order to use the $200 credit for a flight to Mexico, but she finally agreed I was right. It's my understanding that you can use the voucher for either a free flight within the zone you were originally bumped from, or you can use the dollar off amount for any trip, which would include codeshares.

Not only can one collect miles if you use the voucher for dollars off instead of a free round trip, but you are eligible for preferred upgrades as well and there are no blackout restrictions or limited seat inventory.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by vysean
Thanks, DCAMatt!

It sounds as if US has gotten far more generous with the voucher amounts. I'll definitely look forward to future bump opportunities.

Well It seems to be more generous on some flights / routes, but not so much on others. My flight on Tuesday from FCO to PHL was oversold and they were offering a voucher or CASH for $600US.

On a recent flight from CLT I was at a gate next to the last flight of the day to MCO. They were offering either a $100 or $150 and a hotel room... I couldn't believe how low that was but confirmed it while chatting with agents.

I'm very confused on the codeshare thing - I know your included T&C's state in item 1 that "CODESHARES ARE PERMITTED", but in item 3 it states, "TFC may be exchanged for travel on US Airways, US Airways Express and US Airways Shuttle.", which would seem to contradict that.

I typed the exact wording printed out for me and given along with the voucher in my earlier post. The "Take Flight with US" Pamphlet has slightly different wording:

"2. The Dollar-based certificate may be used toward the price of one (1) one-way or roundtrip ticket in any class of service on US Airways, US Airways Express, US Airways Shuttle, as well as their codeshare partners. If price of ticket is more than discount, you pay the difference. If discount exceeds price of ticket, no residual will be given."

So you mention only dollar-off amounts. Were the vouchers also good for a free seat in the same region as the flight segment you were bumping from?

There doesn't seem to be an offer of free tickets anymore. I'm looking at a small pamphlet they hand out with the VDB voucher called " Take Flight with US. , US Airways take flight" It shows as document 96004 POLO8-2002 dated 6/09. It's my assumption that the VDB vouchers changed after that date.

FWIW, I haven't received bump vouchers since 2007 or maybe 2008, and at the time I think these were called RTFC - and if I recall correctly it stood for "Round-Trip Flight Credit".
Old Mar 25, 2010, 5:12 pm

Take Flight with US - Take Flight Certificate T&C (copied from pamphlet by DCAMatt)

TAKE FLIGHT CERTIFICATE
TERMS AND CONDITIONS

HOW TO USE:
1. May be transferred to another individual prior to redemption.
2. The Dollar-based certificate may be used toward the price of one (1) one-way or roundtrip ticket in any class of service on US Airways, US Airways Express, US Airways Shuttle, as well as their codeshare partners. If price of ticket is more than discount, you pay the difference. If discount exceeds price of ticket, no residual will be given.
3. Roundtrip travel is authorized between any one origin city to any one destination city serviced by the above airlines. Travel must be via the most direct routing available.
4. The original oversold flight segment (origin & destination) determines the value of the dollar amount.
5. Travel dates must be determined prior to ticketing.
6. Call US Airways Reservations if you have any questions about the use of this certificate and/or to make your reservation. Inform them you will be using a Take Flight Certificate.
7. Redeem this certificate at any US Airways ticketing location.
8. You will need picture identification to use this certificate.

NOT ALLOWED
1. No stopovers permitted.
2. Prepaid Ticket Service (PTA) not permitted.
3. Not applicable towards US Airways Vacations package.
4. Not applicable toward service or penalty charges.
5. Not applicable toward the reissue of previously issued ticket.
6. Cannot be combined with any other Take Flight Certificate or any other document.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 6:29 pm

Programs: USAIR gold, HH diamond, SPG gold
Glad you pushed the agent and got things booked. When did you receive your voucher?
Received it April 2009. Since you are an expert (!) on these, do you know if the expiration date of 1 year is a "book by" date or a "fly by" date?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 7:18 pm

From my experience and speaking with US employees they are good for travel booked by the expiration date. The voucher should list details from your original ticket and state " Not Valid After- DDMonthYY ".

I was curious as the date you receive your certificate because is seems like they changed the system for VDB'ing around June 2009. Much as I do mileage runs I will often do bump runs booking segments into an itin that I have come to learn to be oversold frequently.

Originally Posted by TRAVELBABE
Received it April 2009. Since you are an expert (!) on these, do you know if the expiration date of 1 year is a "book by" date or a "fly by" date?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.