Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Transportation Voucher Link to this page; Link to Terms and Conditions

A Transportation Voucher is a coupon to be used toward travel on US Airways and US Airways Express. Transportation Vouchers may be valid for stand-by or confirmed travel, one-way or roundtrip passage, and/or coach or first-class accommodations, or for a specified dollar amount.

Redemption instructions
  • Transportation Vouchers may be used toward tickets to any US Airways or US Airways Express destination.
  • To book and redeem your Transportation Voucher, you may contact Reservations at 800-428-4322. Please let the agent know that you have a Transportation Voucher to ensure accurate pricing information. You’ll need to have your voucher in hand at the time of purchase.
  • You may also redeem your ticket at any US Airways ticket counter, US Airways City Ticket Office or travel agency. Present the Transportation Voucher with payment.
  • Transportation Vouchers may not be used to purchase a ticket online.

General information and restrictions
  • Travel is not eligible for Dividend Miles credit.
  • Transportation Vouchers are valid for 1 year from the issue date unless noted otherwise.
  • Transportation Vouchers may be combined or used with gift certificates to purchase 1 ticket.
  • Transportation Vouchers are transferable as a gift if a passenger name has not been entered.
  • The value of Transportation Vouchers is not refundable.

Read few first posts for more details, but compare to more recent terms and conditions (linked to above) to assure information is all current.)

updated 10 Mar 2015

Print Wikipost

The definitive guide to US VDB vouchers.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2010, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
The definitive guide to US VDB vouchers.

Fair warning if you are bumped from a US flight here is what you will get:

1. A cash dollar voucher based upon delay.
2. The voucher is good for ONE US Airways ticket,
3. You can fly on US or US code shares.
4. You have to pay all taxes and fees on the ticket.
5. You have to call in US reservations to book.
6. The ticket books into a non-earning fare class.

Have fun.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by colpuck

Have fun.
Seriously...No Miles? How Cheapskate of US...!!!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:14 am

Originally Posted by colpuck
#6 is only partially correct. If used as a free ticket, it's booked in a non-earning fare class. If used as a dollar-based option (amount varies, depending on what they are offering at the time of oversale), the fare class is whatever class prices for the new itinerary, you pay the difference (if any) and mileage is accrued. If you want to accrue mileage, definitely choose the dollar-based option...it worked for me.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:24 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Plus there are a lot more choices when used as a dollar-amount instead of a free ticket; the inventory controls on those VDB vouchers are pretty rough and you'd have to book weeks in advance if not more to get a seat on a marginally busy route but if used as a dollar-amount you can pretty much pick whatever you want.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:10 am

Programs: USdm, DLsm, and all the other ones
I'm sorry, but if I want to get bumped for a voucher, will it come in the form of "Cactus Cash", or "one free flight"?

And if it is "one free flight", when I take that free flight, it won't count toward Preferred?

When do you get Cactus Cash vs. free vouchers?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 8:23 am

Programs: US Airways Chairman, PetSmart PetPerks Elite
Originally Posted by l'avion
I'm sorry, but if I want to get bumped for a voucher, will it come in the form of "Cactus Cash", or "one free flight"?

And if it is "one free flight", when I take that free flight, it won't count toward Preferred?

When do you get Cactus Cash vs. free vouchers?
As far as I know, US is no longer giving out vouchers good for a free RT in the continental U.S., as they used to do. They are now giving out vouchers good for a specific dollar amount based on length of the flight and the amount of time you will be delayed. There is some wiggle room, if they are unable to find volunteers, but I haven't seen any free RT's handed out in some time. If you receive a voucher for a specific amount of value, it'll only earn miles(or count towards preferred status) if you apply the amount towards a higher cost ticket and pay for the difference yourself.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 9:39 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by vincentvan
As far as I know, US is no longer giving out vouchers good for a free RT in the continental U.S., as they used to do.
I think this is a good thing. Those "free" trips were booked into the same bucket that the most restrictive award tickets came from. Credit vouchers are just like cash. You could, in theory, book a full F fare ticket and apply the amount on the voucher towards it.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:34 am

So, just to be absolutely clear, if I book an $80ai ticket with a $100 voucher, then I don't get any miles?

But if I book a $200 ticket with a $100 voucher, then pay the rest with my cc, I get miles for it?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
Regional voucher

Is it correct that one can get Region 2 voucher when bumping in Central America?

Please clarify.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Nothing, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by vincentvan
As far as I know, US is no longer giving out vouchers good for a free RT in the continental U.S., as they used to do. They are now giving out vouchers good for a specific dollar amount based on length of the flight and the amount of time you will be delayed. There is some wiggle room, if they are unable to find volunteers, but I haven't seen any free RT's handed out in some time. If you receive a voucher for a specific amount of value, it'll only earn miles(or count towards preferred status) if you apply the amount towards a higher cost ticket and pay for the difference yourself.
The dollar off vouchers will earn miles / segments even if the fare is lower then the voucher (And thus you pay nothing). I've done it several times in the past few months.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 6:51 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, PetSmart PetPerks Elite
Originally Posted by GoodOmens
The dollar off vouchers will earn miles / segments even if the fare is lower then the voucher (And thus you pay nothing). I've done it several times in the past few months.
Good to know, I have been told by (misinformed!) US staff that that was not the case. Called CP desk to verify. Thanks.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:02 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
I have a questions about the $-off certificates: on the certificate it says its value for one year from date of issue. Does that mean the ticket has to be purchased by one year from when the certificate was issued or does travel have to be complete by that date?
Old Mar 22, 2010, 7:59 pm

The ticket must be purchased. Travel can be later than a year IIRC.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I just got one of the new $-off-only vouchers for $600.

Will there be a residual value if I, say, purchase one $200 ticket with it?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: US CP, CO PE, Avis First, National EE
None at all - It's a use it or lose it thing... As stated by the OP it's good for only ONE ticket as well. I just got back from a trip to Rome using 2 VDB vouchers that me and my partner got from a holiday flight. The miles posted in both of our accounts. I did have to book over the phone and to use 2 vouchers we had to be on separate PNRs.

Originally Posted by SamOF
I just got one of the new $-off-only vouchers for $600.

Will there be a residual value if I, say, purchase one $200 ticket with it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.