Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Transportation Voucher Link to this page; Link to Terms and Conditions

A Transportation Voucher is a coupon to be used toward travel on US Airways and US Airways Express. Transportation Vouchers may be valid for stand-by or confirmed travel, one-way or roundtrip passage, and/or coach or first-class accommodations, or for a specified dollar amount.

Redemption instructions
  • Transportation Vouchers may be used toward tickets to any US Airways or US Airways Express destination.
  • To book and redeem your Transportation Voucher, you may contact Reservations at 800-428-4322. Please let the agent know that you have a Transportation Voucher to ensure accurate pricing information. You’ll need to have your voucher in hand at the time of purchase.
  • You may also redeem your ticket at any US Airways ticket counter, US Airways City Ticket Office or travel agency. Present the Transportation Voucher with payment.
  • Transportation Vouchers may not be used to purchase a ticket online.

General information and restrictions
  • Travel is not eligible for Dividend Miles credit.
  • Transportation Vouchers are valid for 1 year from the issue date unless noted otherwise.
  • Transportation Vouchers may be combined or used with gift certificates to purchase 1 ticket.
  • Transportation Vouchers are transferable as a gift if a passenger name has not been entered.
  • The value of Transportation Vouchers is not refundable.

Read few first posts for more details, but compare to more recent terms and conditions (linked to above) to assure information is all current.)

updated 10 Mar 2015

Print Wikipost

The definitive guide to US VDB vouchers.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2011, 12:52 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by ooodaveb
Booking a fully refundable fare and then cancelling the booking after paying for it with the voucher might be an option for you.
I'm not sure how this would work. Suppose I buy a $700 fully refundable ticket and use the $500 voucher to offset the cost. So my CC is charged $200. If I cancel the ticket, would US actually refund $700 to my CC? I find that hard to believe, but I'm curious.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
That idea won't work (and it is really not the right thing to do). When I recently used a voucher, the total cost of the ticket is shown as the net cost after the voucher is applied.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 1:39 pm

You could always give it to me if you can't find anything else to do with it You could TRY to sell it at less than face value to someone on eBay/CraigsList but that's kind of sketchy. You could also call US and ask if you can buy miles with the voucher. Worst comes to worst, plan a fun weekend getaway!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 1:54 pm

Yeah, we'll see. I can't really plan a getaway b/c we have one year old twins. And we can only use it for one ticket (not like two tickets at $250 each, too bad). So yeah it would pay for one ticket but not the other. (And we're taking the kiddos to Europe in the spring, so that's our next big trip as a family)

I guess I can use it to get to my parents' house for Christmas (which would require a two hour drive, since the only airlines that fly into the airport by their city is AA/ Delta, so if I fly US I have to make the long drive). Again, it would only buy one ticket and not the other, but I guess that's something. It's a shame, though, b/c the tickets to get to my folks' place around Christmas is only like $170, so it isn't the best use, dollar wise. But que sera sera.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Is it possible to buy a US Club membership with a cash voucher?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by geo1005
Is it possible to buy a US Club membership with a cash voucher?
Sadly no, I think that's printed in the Terms & Conditions.
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:17 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Originally Posted by TimesTwo:17256882
Yeah, we'll see. I can't really plan a getaway b/c we have one year old twins. And we can only use it for one ticket (not like two tickets at $250 each, too bad). So yeah it would pay for one ticket but not the other. (And we're taking the kiddos to Europe in the spring, so that's our next big trip as a family
According to the thread I pointed out (and I reviewed thanks to your post ) the expiration date refers to the time of booking not time of traveling!!! Thus, you can use it!!
Old Oct 11, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Poster @ post #42; Just 87 more posts, and coupon connection here on FT will give unlimited assistance.

Last edited by NY-FLA; Oct 12, 2011 at 5:06 am Reason: Inflation of coupon connection entry requirement; my error; Thread merge made OP not the OP
Old Oct 11, 2011, 3:03 pm

Is that right?? I thought it was 180 posts?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by Nikolaos
According to the thread I pointed out (and I reviewed thanks to your post ) the expiration date refers to the time of booking not time of traveling!!! Thus, you can use it!!
You know what kills me about that? I have to go to Hawaii for work next fall (my ticket will be on the company, obviously) but I have to pay for partner and twins. Sadly, I won't know the date until long after the voucher expires... (we don't plan that far in advance around here).
Old Oct 11, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
TimesTwo, yes, it's now 180 days/180posts.

Perhaps you can fly a family member in for free babysitting?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 3:23 pm

Since the flights are only $170 - you could likely book first class and make your significant others sit in coach with the twins
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Is that right?? I thought it was 180 posts?
That's correct. However, a moderator can also post on behalf of a user.@:-)
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:11 am

Can someone define "VDB" for me? is that when you volunteer to give up your seat or when you are involuntarily bumped?

I had a hellish experience involving a voluntary bump going from CAK-NUE last week.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:36 am

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
Can someone define "VDB" for me? ...
From FT Glossary

VDB: Voluntary denied boarding. More commonly known as a "bump". Most airlines offer $$$ travel credits or "VDB vouchers" in such instances.
Also, IDB = Involuntarily Denied Boarding

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.