Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Transportation Voucher Link to this page; Link to Terms and Conditions

A Transportation Voucher is a coupon to be used toward travel on US Airways and US Airways Express. Transportation Vouchers may be valid for stand-by or confirmed travel, one-way or roundtrip passage, and/or coach or first-class accommodations, or for a specified dollar amount.

Redemption instructions
  • Transportation Vouchers may be used toward tickets to any US Airways or US Airways Express destination.
  • To book and redeem your Transportation Voucher, you may contact Reservations at 800-428-4322. Please let the agent know that you have a Transportation Voucher to ensure accurate pricing information. You’ll need to have your voucher in hand at the time of purchase.
  • You may also redeem your ticket at any US Airways ticket counter, US Airways City Ticket Office or travel agency. Present the Transportation Voucher with payment.
  • Transportation Vouchers may not be used to purchase a ticket online.

General information and restrictions
  • Travel is not eligible for Dividend Miles credit.
  • Transportation Vouchers are valid for 1 year from the issue date unless noted otherwise.
  • Transportation Vouchers may be combined or used with gift certificates to purchase 1 ticket.
  • Transportation Vouchers are transferable as a gift if a passenger name has not been entered.
  • The value of Transportation Vouchers is not refundable.

Read few first posts for more details, but compare to more recent terms and conditions (linked to above) to assure information is all current.)

updated 10 Mar 2015

Print Wikipost

The definitive guide to US VDB vouchers.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by kudzu
From FT Glossary

Also, IDB = Involuntarily Denied Boarding
Thank you kindly, kudzu.
Old Nov 12, 2011, 7:52 pm

Programs: US Silver, Club Carlson Gold
Exempt from Fuel Surcharge?

I had a $475 certificate from a VDB in August. I wanted to apply it to an upcoming flight to Brussels, on US metal, that priced out on US at $690 (same on Kayak, Expedia, etc).

Called in today to use it and the agent said my total would be $56 and change. She said because it was a cert I was exempt from the $159 fuel surcharge.

^
Old Oct 23, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by vysean
Booking:
Vouchers can be used for a "free seat" or as a dollar-off credit on a paid ticket. If used for a free seat, booking class "X" is used and you can verify if seats will be available by looking for a "Low" (green) category award seat on the US website. If used as a dollar-off credit, be aware that vouchers can only be used on a single ticket and no residual value is given (e.g. a $200 voucher used as a dollar-off credit for a $150 ticket will provide $0 back).

Also be aware you must pay all taxes and fees, whether the voucher is used for a "free seat" or as a dollar-off credit.

Mileage Earning:
If used as a dollar-off credit, you will earn miles for the ticket (this may depend on which program you credit to). If used as a "free seat", you will not normally earn miles as the ticket is booked in X class (award coach). Of course, if you are re-routed or your reservation is otherwise modified, it is possible you could earn miles, but this would be a very rare occurrence.
Did some searching, and this thread was the closest I could find to answering my questions about Take Flight Certificates, although much of the info is from 2010.

Is what's quoted above still true in terms of earning segment/miles credit when using Take Flight Certificates? Basically, it seems like as long as you have to pay something out of pocket for the ticket you will earn segment/miles credit?

I received a TFC for $525 from a DEN-CLT flight because the next available flight wasn't for another 14 hours (I ended up staying in the airport the whole time...loooong day).

If the terms haven't been posted recently, mine says:
1. Dollars off Travel TFC may be applied towards purchase of one ticket. The original oversold flight segment determines the value. Codeshare flights permitted.
2. TFC is transferrable with valid pin and must be redeemed within one year from issue date.
3. TFC may be exchanged for travel on USAirways, USAirways Express and US Airways Shuttle. Cannot be used towards reissue of previously issued ticket or service charge. Cannot be combined with any other documents. TFC transferrable only before ticketing.
4. Taxes, surcharges and fees are the responsibility of the user and must be paid at time of ticketing.
5. Stopovers are not permitted. Co-terminals and open jaw travel permitted.
6. Redeem for travel at any USAirways ticketing office or call reservations.
7. For further information on terms and conditions please visit our website at www.usairways.com
Basically, I was thinking of using it to do a segment run (first time ever trying this so any tips are welcome), with a quick visit to family in MA.

At the moment I was looking at doing GSO-DCA-ORF-PVD and PVD-BWI-GSO with each of those making one layover for what I think will be a total of 10 segments...will this work using a Take Flight Certificate?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Anybody?

I just called customer service to ask about it but ole Sandy has caused me to be on hold for the last 3 hours.

Basically the main thing I'm not sure about is can you do multi-city travel with Take Flight Certificates?
Old Oct 27, 2012, 9:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Anybody?

I just called customer service to ask about it but ole Sandy has caused me to be on hold for the last 3 hours.

Basically the main thing I'm not sure about is can you do multi-city travel with Take Flight Certificates?
I booked a PHL-MIA with an EYW-PHL return with one of these and didn't have any issues.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, National Executive, Marriott Gold, US SP, Avis PS
Originally Posted by DCAMatt
None at all - It's a use it or lose it thing... As stated by the OP it's good for only ONE ticket as well. I just got back from a trip to Rome using 2 VDB vouchers that me and my partner got from a holiday flight. The miles posted in both of our accounts. I did have to book over the phone and to use 2 vouchers we had to be on separate PNRs.
Does anyone know if this has changed?

IE booking two RT tickets for two flyers has to be on separate PNR's? Is there any way to use one VDB + cash for two flyers to make a single PNR? I guess I could call in, but if my wife and I are going to use the vouchers I really need us to be on one PNR.

EDIT: I kept reading the thread and noticed that there was one instance of two different PNR's being linked when they were both purchased w/ VDB certs. Any more recent data points?

Also, am I reading correctly that since it appears that if I buy a ticket less than face value of the cert that it pulls from an award bucket? I guess that means that there are no shots and upgrades when using the certificates then?

Sorry for all the questions.

Last edited by CrizzleColts; Nov 9, 2012 at 1:34 pm
Old Nov 9, 2012, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by CrizzleColts
Does anyone know if this has changed?

IE booking two RT tickets for two flyers has to be on separate PNR's? Is there any way to use one VDB + cash for two flyers to make a single PNR? I guess I could call in, but if my wife and I are going to use the vouchers I really need us to be on one PNR.

EDIT: I kept reading the thread and noticed that there was one instance of two different PNR's being linked when they were both purchased w/ VDB certs. Any more recent data points?

Also, am I reading correctly that since it appears that if I buy a ticket less than face value of the cert that it pulls from an award bucket? I guess that means that there are no shots and upgrades when using the certificates then?

Sorry for all the questions.
No Change. When the voucher is issued, the PNR is created, so it's a single PNR. There is a fake flight, booked for a year out, that keeps the PNR active until you use the voucher. You can't add people to PNRs, you can only reduce the number of people in a PNR. US doesn't have any 'linking' capability. They can make a note on each reservation, but it does nothing for upgrades or other preferred benefits that requires to be on the same PNR. It does not pull from award buckets with the dollars-off vouchers, even if the voucher covers the entire ticket amount. Sorry, there's really no way around this one, unfortunately.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:59 pm

That is what I figured. No worries, as we will make due. Looks like we will have a few options, and will probably end up just upgrading my wife's ticket w/ miles and hope that mine gets a complimentary upgrade.

I am correct in believing that tickets purchased w/ the VDB vouchers are still available to receive complimentary upgrades?
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by CrizzleColts
I am correct in believing that tickets purchased w/ the VDB vouchers are still available to receive complimentary upgrades?
Yes.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 7:40 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Mykle
US doesn't have any 'linking' capability. They can make a note on each reservation, but it does nothing for upgrades or other preferred benefits that requires to be on the same PNR.
The best I've been able to do is call the Preferred Desk to have my traveling companion (on another PNR) manually added to Preferred Seating with me. Not sure if this is allowed by policy, or if I just got a nice agent.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by LM225
The best I've been able to do is call the Preferred Desk to have my traveling companion (on another PNR) manually added to Preferred Seating with me. Not sure if this is allowed by policy, or if I just got a nice agent.
I will find out soon enough.

One other question, if I wanted to upgrade my wife w/ miles I assume that it can't be done due not being on the same PNR. Anyone have any experience with that? Kind of in the same vein as the preferred seating I guess. A true YMMV depending on which CS agent you get.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 5:23 am

In CLT heard them offering $350 for a 3 hour delay. Not a bad deal at all. Wish I could take it but have to make a meeting. Why one of the dozen or so college students in board doesn't take it I have no idea.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by DCAMatt
From my experience and speaking with US employees they are good for travel booked by the expiration date. The voucher should list details from your original ticket and state " Not Valid After- DDMonthYY ".
Sorry to revive an old thread but wondering if anyone has any recent experiences with this? I thought I read (and I assumed) that the Take Flight Certs had to be flown by the date on the cert but I'm looking at the T&Cs and it only says it has to be redeemed by the date. So is it flown by or redeemed by? I googled around and didn't find much info. Thanks.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: AA Gold SPG Gold HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Sorry to revive an old thread but wondering if anyone has any recent experiences with this? I thought I read (and I assumed) that the Take Flight Certs had to be flown by the date on the cert but I'm looking at the T&Cs and it only says it has to be redeemed by the date. So is it flown by or redeemed by? I googled around and didn't find much info. Thanks.
You have to redeem the TFC by the date on the cert. and can book up to a year in advance of the expire date.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 1:22 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Codeshare flights still permitted for the Take Flight Voucher?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.