Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > US Airways | Dividend Miles (Pre-Consolidation with American Airlines)
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2013, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: NewbieRunner
Update 08APR2014: Star Alliance Awards must have been booked by March 30, 2014. They are no longer available through US. This thread is mostly useful for historic purposes, and discussing issues such as schedule changes/route changes that affect FTers existing *A awards booked before 3/31/2014.

Discussion on using US miles to book oneworld awards is available here.

If you are looking for discussion on US's new partner awards that use various partners not in oneworld (many of whom are former *A partners), see the devoted thread on using US miles to book NON-oneworld partners here.

------------------------

Update 07JAN14: American Airlines award tickets bookable online on usairways.com or through reservation.

• Award travel must be wholly on American Airlines or a combination of American Airlines and US Airways.
  • American Airlines awards cannot be combined with any of our current partner.
  • American Airlines award travel chart (PDF)

Please see the devoted thread on using US miles to book AA here.
Print Wikipost

Star Alliance Award Bookings Using US Airways Miles - FAQ and Help Thread [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2013, 3:15 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DaveMidknight
If I need more than 2 Seats on TG, I use the KVS Mobile Companion.

It nicely shows how many seats are available.

For example on July 10th 2014 from FRA to BKK it Shows 5 F-Seats on TG921 and 6 F-Seats on TG923.

TG 921 FRA/1 14:45 BKK 06:25 +1 380/0 10:40
F9 A9 P9 O5 C9 D9 J9 Z9 I9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 GR T9 K9 S9 V9 W9 X9

TG 923 FRA/1 21:10 BKK 13:00 +1 346/0 10:50
F8 A8 P8 O6 C9 D9 J9 Z9 I9 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 GR T9 K9 S9 V9 W9 X9

Of course USDM still only sees 2 Seats at a time, but at least you know that more will be released.
This is fabulous! Thank you very much for pointing this out.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 11:50 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by travelislife
Wow those numbers seem crazy! O6 an I9!!!
That's why TG often is THE linchpin for *A awards to and/or through Asia! TG has the best award availability. ^

Incredibly, I have had eleven layovers (transfers fewer than 24 hours) through BKK -- more than any other airport in the world for me! And every one of those BKK layovers was on a *A award ticket.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 12:02 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

EVA air is quite nice too at this time.....
Old Aug 22, 2013, 2:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
Unless you've got a flight that leaves just after midnight. Then it's good luck getting the agent to see the availability. YVR-TPE- UA sees it, NH sees it, the US agent doesn't. But when you can get it, Royal Laurel class is a pretty nice experience.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:39 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Originally Posted by jamar
Unless you've got a flight that leaves just after midnight. Then it's good luck getting the agent to see the availability. YVR-TPE- UA sees it, NH sees it, the US agent doesn't. But when you can get it, Royal Laurel class is a pretty nice experience.
If your flight leaves just after midnight you often have to get the agent to look for flights for the day beforehand, it is a well known issue with the system they use.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 5:47 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold
Here's one I haven't had before and may be a little OT. Have been helping a couple of friends out with booking their first trip using USDM, they signed up for accounts (one each) on Sunday the 4th of August. On Wednesday the 21st I called up and put their reservations on hold for them. On Thursday the 22nd my friend went and bought the miles 100,000 with the bonus and 10,000 without for a total of 110,000. They all went fine in to his account. He did the same for the other account (his girlfriends) with the same credit card but the miles haven't shown up >24hrs later. He called up the credit card company and confirmed all transactions were approved. He called up US airways and they said that when transactions from one card happen on multiple accounts they put a freeze on it to check it out for fraud prevention. They said it can take a couple of days to clear it.

So annoyingly at the moment the funds are off his card but only one account has the 110,000 miles in it but the reservation is on hold with the expiry coming up soon.

I have never had this issue before and have always used the one credit card across multiple accounts so it is a little annoying for this to happen to my newbie friends who I am walking through the process. Has anyone else had this before? I have always had the miles credited within 24 hours.

I haven't been there when he has had the conversation with US so am getting the info second hand. As an aside should he contact points.com?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by travelislife
Here's one I haven't had before and may be a little OT. Have been helping a couple of friends out with booking their first trip using USDM, they signed up for accounts (one each) on Sunday the 4th of August. On Wednesday the 21st I called up and put their reservations on hold for them. On Thursday the 22nd my friend went and bought the miles 100,000 with the bonus and 10,000 without for a total of 110,000. They all went fine in to his account. He did the same for the other account (his girlfriends) with the same credit card but the miles haven't shown up >24hrs later. He called up the credit card company and confirmed all transactions were approved. He called up US airways and they said that when transactions from one card happen on multiple accounts they put a freeze on it to check it out for fraud prevention. They said it can take a couple of days to clear it.

So annoyingly at the moment the funds are off his card but only one account has the 110,000 miles in it but the reservation is on hold with the expiry coming up soon.

I have never had this issue before and have always used the one credit card across multiple accounts so it is a little annoying for this to happen to my newbie friends who I am walking through the process. Has anyone else had this before? I have always had the miles credited within 24 hours.

I haven't been there when he has had the conversation with US so am getting the info second hand. As an aside should he contact points.com?
unfortunately there are rare occasions when this can happen.

there is nothing that can be done when USDM decides to audit an account.

the exact criteria for freezing an account are not known, but appears to be along the lines of a) redeeming tickets from one account in the name of another without the same surname b) other transactions by one person for a person with another surname.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 7:51 pm

Interested in piecing together a RTW with the north asia classification. DXB-SIN on an SQ 773 in J is showing up as available on the united award search. Is this a fluke or is it the regional business class that isn't as desirable?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
Interested in piecing together a RTW with the north asia classification. DXB-SIN on an SQ 773 in J is showing up as available on the united award search. Is this a fluke or is it the regional business class that isn't as desirable?
Wait, how does that work? A North Asia trip can include layovers in S. Asia?
Old Aug 22, 2013, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michaelpowell44
could be a regional... you'll need to check the timetable. regional seats are angled lie flats... but they are still very wide (means you can side sleep). the very old recliner seats have gone from the longer regionals.

Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Wait, how does that work? A North Asia trip can include layovers in S. Asia?
if it is a straight transit should be fine.

if it is a stopover it will depend on the rate desk or agent. as always YMMV... it may scrape through without extra charge. or it may get charged the higher zone.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:32 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by LM225
Shouldn't US-North Asia be 120K in F? Or do your UA/CA flights take you into South Asia?
TUL-ORD-NRT / NRT-PEK-SIN / SIN-ICN-LAX-IAH-TUL

Yes Singapore
Old Aug 23, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: Brown medallion
Need help from someone with experience booking Star Alliance award using US miles. I have ~148K miles with US.

I used Aeroplan, UA and Award Nexus to confirm that this routing is available. However, I called US twice and both agents said no seats were available.

Outbound:
Nov 14 BOS-MUC LH425
Nov 15 MUC-SIN SQ327
Nov 16 SIN-CGK SQ

US agent said Nov 14 BOS-MUC is not avail but there's a seat on Nov 13. My date is not flexible, can't fly on the 13th. Routing is flexible, through atlantic or pacific, agent said no availability at all on the 14th.

Edit:
I did more reading of previous threads. Apparently I also experienced Wed-Sat glitch of LH availability?

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
The LH problem still consists. Some People in German Forums say that LH domestic and European flights after 1.NOV.13 were only available on Wednesdays and Saturdays...
Inbound with a stopover in Tokyo:
Nov 28 CGK-NRT NH938
Dec 2 NRT-SFO UA852
Dec 2 SFO-BOS UA391

According to US agent, no flights are avail whatsoever from Tokyo to Boston Nov 30, Dec 1 or Dec 2. My return flight dates are somewhat flexible +/- 2 days.

Appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Last edited by vholic; Aug 23, 2013 at 2:08 pm
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Has anyone had luck recently in booking LH first class with US miles?
Old Aug 24, 2013, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oneworld82
Has anyone had luck recently in booking LH first class with US miles?
yes.

the man who writes a blog and sells frequent flyer booking services said he has no problem getting agents to long sell for Lufthansa first.

but he is, as far as i know, the only one (although I guess it is possible all the other pax getting LH F are keeping quiet about it!)
Old Aug 24, 2013, 8:05 pm

Uh, has anyone used his service and gotten LH F recently? I didn't think so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.