Search

A list of recent US DM downgrades for your emails and letters

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2008, 5:05 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
A list of recent US DM downgrades for your emails and letters

As the elimination of the 500-mile minimum is but the latest in a string of insults by US, but one that has sparked the strongest response here given the rapid growth of the associated thread, I'd like to assemble a list of other recent downgrades to the US DM program that we can cite in our emails. Rather than add to the existing thread, I thought it might be appropriate to start a separate thread where we can keep the list in the first post for easy reference.

Recent DM and Related US Downgrades
  • Sep 05: Elimination of 24-hr cancellations with full refund [thread]
  • Jan 06: Elimination of Y/B class-of-service bonus [thread]
  • Jan 06: Elimination of CP rollovers of miles >100K and segments >100 from previous year [thread1, thread2, thread3]
  • May 06: Elimination of upgrades on premium awards [thread]
  • May 06: Indefinite suspension of awards on Royal Jordanian [thread]
  • Jun 06: Reduction of Gold elite bonus miles from 100% to 50% [thread1, thread2, thread3]
  • Jun 06: Reduction of Silver elite bonus miles from 50% to 25% [same as above]
  • 2006: Failure to follow through on announced participation in Star Alliance upgrade award program [need announcement ref]
  • 2007: Increased mileage requirement for Star Alliance awards to Asia [need details/ref]
  • May 07: Elimination of Upper Class award redemption on VS [thread1, thread2]
  • Jul 07: Addition of $100 fee for "Low Fare Guarantee" vouchers [thread]
  • Aug 07: Indefinite suspension of awards on Qatar Airways [thread]
  • Oct 07: 50% increase in mileage requirements for domestic upgrades [thread]
  • Oct 07: Elimination of 10K mi Y/B (USE1) TA upgrades [thread]
  • Oct 07: Institution of $1200 minimum fare requirement for TA upgrades ($600 one-way) [thread]
  • Dec 07: Addition of hidden $5 online booking fee at usairways.com [thread] (Rescinded Mar 08 [thread]) (Reinstated Apr 08 [thread])
  • Dec 07: Elimination of online booking bonus [thread]
  • Mar/May 08: Elimination of 500-mile minimum [thread] (Rescinded Nov 08 for elites and Shuttle pax [thread1, thread2])
  • Apr 08: Increased change fees for non-refundable fares to $150 domestic / $250 international [thread]
  • May 08: Addition of $25 fee for second checked bag (non-elites only) [thread]
  • May 08: Addition of $5+ fee for selecting "Choice Seats" at Web Check-in (non-elites only) [thread]
  • Jun 08: Addition of $15 fee for first checked bag (non-elites only) [thread1, consolid thread]
  • Jun 08: Increased call center ticketing fees to $25 domestic / $35 intl [consolid thread]
  • Aug 08: Addition of $2 fee for in-flight beverages on domestic flights [consolid thread] (Rescinded Mar 09 [thread])
  • Aug 08: Elimination of Preferred bonus miles [thread1, consolid thread] (Rescinded Nov 08 [thread1, thread2])
  • Aug 08: Increased award reissue and redeposit fees to $150 TA / $250 TP [thread]
  • Nov 08: Discontinuation of in-flight entertainment (IFE) [thread]
  • Nov 08: Removal of all non-Envoy powerports [thread]
  • Feb 09: Addition of fee for in-flight pillow and blanket [thread1, thread2]
  • Jul 09: Increase in baggage fees by $5 unless paid online (non-elites only) [thread]
  • Mar 10: Elimination of Preferred access to Choice seats [thread]
  • Extremely limited availability of Upgrade and Saver Awards has also been reported

If you have other specific items to add (other than the usual complaints about downgrades in service, which are less quantifiable), please post them here (ideally with a thread link) and I'll update this list.

Recent First Class Downgrades

Here is a list of recent downgrades to the F product that, while not directly related to the DM program, are inherently linked in that they reduce the value of automatic preferred upgrades:
  • 2007: Reduced pitch of domestic F seats on Airbus planes [thread1, thread2]
  • 2007: Reduced number of domestic F seats on A320, A321 [same as above]
  • 2007: Removal of closets in F [A320 thread]
  • 2007-2008: Inconsistent pre-flight beverage service [thread1, thread2]
  • Apr 08: Reversal of advertised use of glassware in F (ex-East) to complete removal of glassware in F (ex-West) [thread1, thread2]

Reduction of F seats in Envoy has also been noted, but I'm not sure of the details - if this is associated with better seats, it's probably not appropriate for this list.

Last edited by dstan; Apr 7, 2010 at 12:17 pm Reason: preferred vs choice seats
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Platinum, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 *
I think the elimination of single pieces of baggage of up to 70 lbs (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=786961), but it's not 100% confirmed. We need to take regular screen shots of their elite benefits!

Devil's advocate: has US added any new benefits in the last year or so? I seriously don't know and am interested.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:11 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Let's just go back to merger day 1 (or thereabouts) where we were told the new DM program would combine the BEST of the old Dividend Miles and FlightFund programs. So far, it's been take the least and make it even worse. A total lie from day one.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:16 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Could you argue that the loss of other partners like Qantas is a downgrade?

Otherwise, I think you've got a good list - let's call it a comprehensive list - of bad decisions.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:38 pm

I'd add the lowering of elite bonuses (Silver went from 50% to 25%, Gold from 100% to 50%) and also the elimination of 150% EQM for Y/B fares. Old US used to give 200% EQM for Envoy but I can't remember whether that was a special promotion or not. I don't remember off-hand when these happened; if I have time tomorrow I will edit this post and add links.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by jimcfsus
Let's just go back to merger day 1 (or thereabouts) where we were told the new DM program would combine the BEST of the old Dividend Miles and FlightFund programs. So far, it's been take the least and make it even worse. A total lie from day one.
The same way that as part of the advertised enhancements "thoughout fall" we were promised glassware on all meal flights in F, and now, effective April 1, glassware will no longer be brought on board domestic flights.

If I see the CEO of US Airways, I wouldn't hesitate to call him Doggie "Liar" Poop.

Thank God we still have United!
Old Feb 15, 2008, 6:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
April 08 - elimination of glassware in domestic F
May 08 - reduction of FC seats in 767 Envoy

Although not as recent, I would start the list with the reduction in FC seats/coat cabinets.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:48 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
I don't know that I call the 767 Envoy seat reduction a bad thing when the seats themselves improved (even if they are a little crammed into the cabin).

I don't have the dates, but talking about the overall airline service quality downgrades:

elimination of closets on most domestic Airbus
reduction of A321 seats from 26 to 16
reduction of A330 Envoy seats from 42 to 30 to make way for more coach rows with a reduction of pitch from 33-34" to 31-32"
Old Feb 15, 2008, 7:51 am

Programs: DL Silver, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Silver, IHG Plat, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by PHL
I don't know that I call the 767 Envoy seat reduction a bad thing when the seats themselves improved (even if they are a little crammed into the cabin).

I don't have the dates, but talking about the overall airline service quality downgrades:

elimination of closets on most domestic Airbus
reduction of A321 seats from 26 to 16
reduction of A330 Envoy seats from 42 to 30 to make way for more coach rows with a reduction of pitch from 33-34" to 31-32"
Reduction of A320 seats from 16 to 12 and subsequent closet removal.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 9:15 am

Programs: Amex switch hitter
1. There are less first class seats in general on all flights. Many domestic flights do not have a first class cabin.
2. Award seat availability is worse. It is harder to find seats.
3. Limits on the number of seats available on domestic travel for upgrades using miles. In the past if there was a seat and you were willing to use miles, you could have it.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:19 pm

Loss of Upper Class mileage redemption on Virgin (former HP benefit).
SHARES integration which made award booking essentially unavailable for months and is still difficult.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:24 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
Reduction of gold bonus (100% to 50% IIRC).
Loss of the ability to upgrade premium coach awards.
Elimination of the Y/F class of service bonus.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 1:33 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I've updated the OP to detail some downgrades to F service. If someone could find me a reference to the A333 Envoy changes so we can put a date range to those, I'll add them to the list.

I searched for the reduction of elite bonuses mentioned by Phudnik and ClueByFour, but only found this related thread that suggested this started sometime in 2006:
Still getting 100% bonus as GP

I'll add the items mentioned by ClueByFour and PHLbuddy to the OP in a moment, but don't have dates for those yet.

Facedoc - I was not aware of your #3 - do you know when that change occurred? Your #2 is difficult to prove, though.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA MARRIOTT Lifetime Plat Premier ; Marriott Vacation Club
I don't know, afterall . . . according to today's US Air website :

"Stacked up against the competition, the new US Airways Dividend Miles program is being hailed as "…the richest program in the world" by InsideFlyer Magazine. Take a look at our Preferred benefits, including our new and improved upgrade program, and you'll understand why
Although Tempe is clueless about operations, product, and execution, the one thing they've got down pat is the arrogance and lies. If you think about it, you gotta have the ability to act as if you know what you're doing in this aviation business, and these guys defintely put the emphasis on the word "acting". I don't even get mad at these folks anymore. This management team is actually quite consistent. It's unfortunate for all parties involved that Tempe's consistency always points downwards.

It's really ashamed that this outfit got their hands upon US Air. Sure, US had it's problems and one would be foolish to assume that life would have gone on without Tempe. But given these looming mergers which will indeed reshape the American aviation landscape ( can't say if it will better or worse ), US is standing out in the cold and with this management, there's only one direction to go. I'll always wonder that if the old US had been able to hold on a bit longer, they might have had a small but more hopeful part in this latest merger mania.

The smart pax got out early, the patient ones gave it a shot. Now it's down to those of us who are stuck in specific US markets to see how things shake out. Now this airline is certainly gonna appeal to some flyers as the bottom line is that flying is about getting from point A to point B. Who does that is not as important as getting there (Tempe must feel that their prayers are being answered in this regard ).

So hey, US is getting hit hard by high fuel costs and competitors who don't hold still ( dare I say that some airlines still care about customers? ). The more I think about it, this latest clip job with DM is most likely a hint of how bad things look in Tempe at the moment if they're fretting about DM *A redemption costs and masking this truth behind comments like "fuel costs" and ". . . maintaining the benefits you've come to expect". Then again, you can't impose the new fee if you tell the truth and admit that you're clipping your own pax and *A members to boot. So this move is indeed very consistent with Tempe's behavior.

Not much else to say except fly safe all.

Barry
Old Feb 15, 2008, 2:06 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
I didn't know they Elliminated VS Upper Classs?

When did that happen? I was actually planning to use miles for VS upper class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.