Community
Wiki Posts
Search

24hr cancel policy replaced w/ guaranteed fare

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

24hr cancel policy replaced w/ guaranteed fare

Bought a ticket through the CP line this morning.

Liason told be of a new policy she received this morning. No more being able to cancel the ticket within 24hrs of ticketing and get a refund. The upside is they will hold it for 24hrs and the fare quoted is guaranteed. In my opinion a very good trade-off. ^

Too bad they have not updated the customer commitment to reflect this or communicatred this in any other way.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
i wonder if you will be able to hold tickets on the website now
Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:38 pm

I guess as long as the new option (holding a ticket and a fare) is available online, then I guess there won't be much of a difference. However, being able to buy a ticket online and cancel it online within 24 hours was something I took advantage of many times.

http://www.usair.com/customers/changes/index.htm
Old Sep 28, 2005, 1:43 pm

Programs: US1
They need to bring back the HOLD button which they use to have on the website several years ago.

Found out from the CP desk that you can't make a change either within the 24 hour window either. Say if you wanted to change the date or time. That really stinks!

T

Last edited by US AIRWAYS FAN; Sep 28, 2005 at 2:01 pm
Old Sep 28, 2005, 2:13 pm

Programs: US lowlife
Its a piece of SH** change until they bring back the 24-hour HOLD online.

-JC
Old Sep 28, 2005, 2:25 pm

Location: Athens, WV, USA; a US cockroach long before it was in FFOCUS; now a lowly US5 for only the 2nd time in 20 years.
Programs: US5
Originally Posted by jcooke
Its a piece of SH** change until they bring back the 24-hour HOLD online.

-JC
Troy and JC... you've said it very well.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 2:28 pm

No the 24hour thing has been removed from us airways.com and the fares are NOT guaranteed. Just called 3 times to preffered desk! Spole to winstom salem folks and they said no 24hr cancel policy and no fare guarantee. The hold is just for the seat. But i know HP did hold the prices so im guessing theyre going to make it theyre way soon with a hold button on the site!
Old Sep 28, 2005, 3:08 pm

Programs: United Gold
I thought the ability to cancel within 24 hours was a result of the airline industry deciding to "police itself" after that horrible year (2000?) of delays and problems? As in "we'll make all these promises to customers so the government does not make rules for us"?

How can they get rid of this?
Old Sep 28, 2005, 5:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
No the 24hour thing has been removed from us airways.com and the fares are NOT guaranteed. Just called 3 times to preffered desk! Spole to winstom salem folks and they said no 24hr cancel policy and no fare guarantee. The hold is just for the seat. But i know HP did hold the prices so im guessing theyre going to make it theyre way soon with a hold button on the site!
The person at the CP desk was very specific. She said it just came out this morning and it also applied to international.

She gave the example that she used to hold a ticket for 24hrs and when the person called back to ticket, the price had gone up $300 dollars. She used to hate those calls but they now would be a thing of the past.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 6:46 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
So how now do I get friends into the US Airways Club if I can't buy a ticket for them to get through security and then cancel it, as US Airways recommended I do?

Oh, I forget- now that I fly United because of US Airways junk like this, I'll just go to the Red Carpet Club.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 2mm 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
The one thing that worked great and I used on the website is gone. Even with a fully refundable ticket, I will have to call the overseas call centers (another story), A process that should be done and can be done online. I think some one should think this one over again.
Old Sep 28, 2005, 10:58 pm

Programs: Life IS good !!! ®
Originally Posted by hscottm
I thought the ability to cancel within 24 hours was a result of the airline industry deciding to "police itself" after that horrible year (2000?) of delays and problems? As in "we'll make all these promises to customers so the government does not make rules for us"?

How can they get rid of this?
They are self-policing promises stated in their Customer Service Guarantee, so that Congress would not step in an regulate some minimum level of customer service.

All the airlines have to do is amend their CSG and voila, no more 24-hour guaranteed refunds.

Note: Every airline does it differently. For example UA/US/NW have a 24-hour cancellation full-refund policy (well US did until recently based on this thread), DL did not (only 24-hour price guarantee but once you bought, a non-refundable fare is just that, non-refundable). I don't know about CO but I am sure they have a similar policy in place.
Old Sep 29, 2005, 6:44 am

Programs: US lowlife
The online ticket exchange policy has been removed as well in order to align with America West policies.

-JC
Old Sep 29, 2005, 7:10 am

Location: Near PHL, PA and GCM, CI and sometimes PLJ, Placencia. Belize
Programs: AA-EXP, DL-Gold, Bonvoy-Gold
Confusion at CP Desk

I just spoke to someone at the CP desk and was assured that the 24 hour full refund policy was still intact - even after I said several times I had heard it was changed.

I guess it will take a few more days for everything to sort out, but right now, who knows what would happen if you rely on one agent's statement and then another has a different view...
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I don't understand. When they hold it for 24 hours with a guranteed fare, do they automatically ticket it after the 24 hours is up OR does it just expire.

If it is the first situation than there is no benefit it is the latter than it is just fine with me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.