[MASTER THREAD]: Preferred vs. Choice Seats

Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
Exclamation [MASTER THREAD]: Preferred vs. Choice Seats

Has anyone seen a new purple selection to choose a "preferred" seat ? Today is the first time I've seen it.

Last edited by steve65341; Apr 6, 2013 at 8:04 am Reason: updated thread title
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: United Platinum
I just saw this yesterday...I think it works as follows:

Non-Elites can still purchase Choice seats but not Preferred
Preferred are like exits are, only for Elites until day of departure

Correct me if I am wrong
Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Devyan1
I just saw this yesterday...I think it works as follows:

Non-Elites can still purchase Choice seats but not Preferred
Preferred are like exits are, only for Elites until day of departure

Correct me if I am wrong
According to US non-elites can only purchase choice seats during online check in time (24 hours out - 60 minutes out) -

Select aisle and window seats in the first several rows of Coach

When you check in online or at the airport (at the counter or kiosk), 24 hours and up to 60 minutes prior to departure, you have the option to buy a Choice Seat assignment for as little as $5 per flight. That means aisle and window seats are likely to still be available even for last minute travelers.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:58 pm

Preferred seats can be reserved in advance by preferred members and are still free for preferred members.

Choice seats can not be reserved in advance by anyone, are only available during check-in, AND all travelers(including preferred) are charged for choice seats.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: CoFounder and Chairman, FFOCUS (Frequent Flyers Organized and concerned about Unacceptable Service.
So the rumor I heard is true. Well if I were still a preferred on US I would be raising hell over this. This represents a further devaluation of Preferred on US.

And before anyone says anything about me being anti US, I would feel the same about ANY carrier who tried something like this.

The nickel and diming has to stop SOMEWHERE...and charging Preferreds for any choice seat is a slap in the face of anyone who has earned Preferred the hard way....
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:16 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Boo. At least exits remain available. But if they're full and the very limited "preferred" seats are gone, I now have to wait until web check-in to get a decent seat assignment - and if not exit row, I may have to PAY more? I wonder what color bulkheads are at web check-in.

We've been enhanced again, without being told this time.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, PetSmart PetPerks Elite
Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
Boo. We've been enhanced again, without being told this time.
I'm usually the last one to complain on here, but the decline continues unabated whether I grumble about it or not!!
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: US Silver, Hilton Silver, Priority Club Silver, Avis First
It looks like they updated their FAQs on the section:

Can Preferred members select Choice Seats for free?
No, but Preferred members can reserve Preferred seats for free.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/FAQs/choiceseats.html#4
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, *wood Gold, Amex Plat
I saw that yesterday and didn't know what I was looking at. It kept telling me "at least one member of your party must be preferred" to select the seat. I tried again later and it let me pick the seat.

I'm doing OLCI tonight for a flight tomorrow after midnight Phoenix time , so I'll see if the bulkheads are choice or preferred.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by gonzoinaz
It looks like they updated their FAQs on the section:

Can Preferred members select Choice Seats for free?
No, but Preferred members can reserve Preferred seats for free.

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/FAQs/choiceseats.html#4
When the Choice Seats program was first announced, the Preferreds were e-mailed. Direct quote from the e-mail:

"Preferred Seats are now Choice Seats, but as a Dividend Miles Preferred member, you'll still be able to select exit row seats and aisle or window seats in the first several rows of Coach anytime after you book your flight. And just like before, you won't pay for the most desirable seats in Coach." (The emphasis was in the original e-mail, sent on April 16, 2008.)

Sooooooo......US now making a 2nd change to the Preferred program without notifying their Preferred members.

After the two really good flights I had on US this weekend, this really leaves a sour taste in my mouth.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:50 pm

Location: Philadelphia area @ sea level & everywhere else @ 36,000ft
Programs: Delta Plat, Lifetime Marriott Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres Circle, National EE, SPG
Luckily I have been 100% bumped to First since I obtained Chairman 2 years ago... My solution is to avoid regional jets, and then you don't worry about choice seats at all...
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:58 pm

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Every now and then, US does something that really ticks off its elites across the board. I think this is one of those times.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP ; Cunard Plat
email notification just received from US...

(snip)

To give you access in advance to the best seats in Coach, we're reserving select seats in front, plus the exit rows, exclusively for Preferred members. When you book, you won't have to compete with other passengers for a limited number of Choice Seats.

You can reserve your Preferred seats prior to check-in at usairways.com, with our call centers or with your travel agent
Old Mar 16, 2010, 7:23 pm

Programs: US Airways Chairman, PetSmart PetPerks Elite
Originally Posted by kudzu
email notification just received from US...

(snip)
ditto:

Enjoy Preferred seats
To give you access in advance to the best seats in Coach, we're reserving select seats in front, plus the exit rows, exclusively for Preferred members. When you book, you won't have to compete with other passengers for a limited number of Choice Seats.

You can reserve your Preferred seats prior to check-in at usairways.com, with our call centers or with your travel agent.

Learn more

We hope you enjoy your Preferred seats.

Sincerely,

Fernand Fernandez
Director, Marketing Programs
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: RR & DM & AA - nothing, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Is this really a bad thing?

Maybe I'm too easy-going, but I fail to see how this is a problem.
According to the FAQs as a Preferred I can book Preferred seats and exit rows. And, instead of before where I had to "compete" with any old Tom, Dick, or Harry who'd pay $5 for a limited # of seats, now the Preferred seats are only for Preferreds, and everybody else gets to pick from Choice seats. Isn't that a good thing?

So to reality-check myself, I checked two flights in November to see the number of Preferred & Choice available...

...PHX-CLT, A321: 9 Choice Seats, 10 Preferred Seats + 14 Exit Seats = 24 Seats for me to choose from...

...PHX-LGB, CRJ-900: 8 Choice Seats, 7 Preferred Seats + 8 Exit Seats = 15 Seats for me to choose from.

Again, maybe I'm too easy-going, but I don't see this as a negative. I've got access to several seats (Plus, as a Silver, I may get to sit in First!) and I'm only competing with other Preferreds for the Preferred seats in coach. That seems good.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.