Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Booked trip because of Dreamliner.... Dreamliner got swapped.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM

My fiancé and I are currently on one of our crazy weekends.

IAH-EWR-SFO-IAH

Just landed in SFO And our scheduled 787 has suddenly been swapped for a 764 (I hope). UA 1718 this evening 12/1.

I paid forthe upgrade on this leg.... And the whole trip was based on the two 787 legs IAH-EWR & SFO-IAH.

If we take our seats in F in the 764, do we have any recourse?
Old Dec 1, 2012, 7:51 pm

Recourse for what?

You booked a ticket from point A to point B (or in your case, maybe from point A back to point A, with stops in B, C and D - seems incredibly foolish to me, but people do lots of things that I can't relate to).

There's no guarantee of a specific airplane. If they fail to get you from point A to - well, wherever you're trying to go - then in that case you do have a right to get them to provide what you booked - a trip to somewhere. But not on any specific airplane.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
The IAH-SFO leg is running over 2 hours late. I wounder what happened to the other 787. #3906 did the IAH-EWR-IAH leg. What happened to #3904.
UA knows some people are booking trips just to ride the 787. I think they should give you something least for the first few months of operation.
Now a year from now different story.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Your C seat experience will be nicer at least, more spacious
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:15 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
The IAH-SFO leg is running over 2 hours late. I wounder what happened to the other 787. #3906 did the IAH-EWR-IAH leg. What happened to #3904.
UA knows some people are booking trips just to ride the 787. I think they should give you something least for the first few months of operation.
Now a year from now different story.
You're talking about an airline which feels no guilt when doing a last minute substitution of a non-flat bed business class for a flat bed one. I can't imagine they would give a flying flick about a 787 substitution!
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G
Despite all the criticism and pessimism on the thread, the reality is that if you're swapped from a 788 to another aircraft, they will let you do a fee-free change to another routing, etc.

My IAH-AMS-BRU was changed to a 764 from a 788 and they were re-accommodate me on another routing, even with an upgrade to BF even though no R was available.

If it happens on the day of the flight and there's no real option, I don't think you're going to get cash compensation.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Depending on where you live they could let you take a 787 trip at the lowest possible fare they offer in the market. You could do the IAH-LAX or IAH-SFO same day turn just to ride the 787.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by dbaker
Despite all the criticism and pessimism on the thread, the reality is that if you're swapped from a 788 to another aircraft, they will let you do a fee-free change to another routing, etc.

My IAH-AMS-BRU was changed to a 764 from a 788 and they were re-accommodate me on another routing, even with an upgrade to BF even though no R was available.

If it happens on the day of the flight and there's no real option, I don't think you're going to get cash compensation.
Yea my 788 got swapped to a 762 on the day of, so I got a downgrade to Y and a fee free swap to an earlier 753. :/
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chinookie
Recourse for what?

You booked a ticket from point A to point B (or in your case, maybe from point A back to point A, with stops in B, C and D - seems incredibly foolish to me, but people do lots of things that I can't relate to).

There's no guarantee of a specific airplane. If they fail to get you from point A to - well, wherever you're trying to go - then in that case you do have a right to get them to provide what you booked - a trip to somewhere. But not on any specific airplane.
Wrong. UA will allow you to change or cancel, due the unique circumstance.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Cancel? They're in SFO trying to get back Houston. They can change - but what to? A 764 is still going to be the best ride back to Houston from SFO (it looks like tomorrow's 787 might also be changed out) unless they can find alternate routing. But by now, the forward seats on any 787 they can get to have probably been taken one way or another. Just get on the plane and go home. Try another time.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
True, but that's not compensation which I believe is what OP is looking for. He won't get anything since he has opted to still take the flight & still use his upgrade. UA does not make allowances for mileage runs which is what he is doing. Had OP just been flying from A-B and specially booked this particular flight due to it being a 787, they may have thrown him a few miles
Old Dec 1, 2012, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Cancel? They're in SFO trying to get back Houston. They can change - but what to? A 764 is still going to be the best ride back to Houston from SFO (it looks like tomorrow's 787 might also be changed out) unless they can find alternate routing. But by now, the forward seats on any 787 they can get to have probably been taken one way or another. Just get on the plane and go home. Try another time.
In this case, yes, but generally UA will allow you to cancel.
Old Dec 1, 2012, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Heading back to the airport after a great dinner with friends. I would not have upgraded this flight if I knew it was on on a 764 as the "2" side is quite cozy in E+.

However I'll take what I can get at this point. Just wondering what's up with ship 3904
Old Dec 1, 2012, 11:49 pm

If you want to be assured of flying a particular airplane, charter one.
Old Dec 2, 2012, 1:26 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by chinookie
If you want to be assured of flying a particular airplane, charter one.
No need to be harsh, especially in light of UAInsider's post here. When the delays started happening with the schedule on October 26th Shannon posted..."We will begin the process of notifying customers on the initial affected flights over the weekend, and will offer them the opportunity to re-book or receive a refund. These customers were given a special Reservations desk phone number to contact, which has been assigned to help them with this situation."

Perhaps OP should contact UAInsider about this, since there's been no update. I intend to since I have a 787 flight next week and the swaps are still occurring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.