Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to adopt CO globe logo and livery! "Let's Fly Together."

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by Bralo20
It's getting a bit boring...

Continental Airlines:

Copa Airlines:

Aero Republica:

United Airlines:

Both Copa & Aera Republica haven't anything to do with either CO or the new UA but the logo's are similar...

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Everybody take a breath. My guess is that this "livery" is for illustrative purposes to support the merger news and that there will be additional modifications going forward, before any paint hits any ships.

CO will also soon learn just how long UA likes to stretch out livery changes.

I'll wager that the tulip will be around until at least 2018. By then we'll all be used to the globe (especially if CO's website has obliterated .bomb).

Actually no...go back and read the press release. CO Logo and Livery, United name.

I'll take that bet. When CO went to this livery, all of the planes were painted in 9 months. If it is made a priority, and I would suspect it would be, it will happen MUCH faster than the present rate that UA is painting planes.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by PWMRamper
I hate Euro-White...that's why I've always loved UA's livery. A solid amount of blue.

The font is blah as well...maybe if it said "United Airlines" instead of just "United" it'd look better.

Ah well, this merger is exciting. I'm anxious to see how things go going forward.
+1

Perhaps this is just a temporary livery? Maybe they will come up with something that ties in the best of both brands. I would definitely like to see the current United font. Ideally, I'd like to see the United tail, but it sounds like they will be going with the globe They should definitely add some color, as the bland looks really bland!

I wonder if "Fly The Friendly Skies" will disappear. I guess I'll be in trouble if it does!

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 3, 2010 at 11:18 am Reason: merge
Old May 3, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I always thought the CO font/characters didn't look good. Seeing United in CO font makes it look atrocious. Keep the UA font at least.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:31 am

Programs: UA MM PG, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum
Even the current UA logo is a looking a bit tired. I'm definitely not a fan of just changing the letters from Continental to United on the CO planes, so count me in for an entire new logo design. I propose an FT design contest. . .
Old May 3, 2010, 10:32 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
+1 on the serif font...
Keep the United font--much better.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:34 am

Programs: MYOB
In reality.............

If you end up with a carrier that gives you many (nobody is going to get EVERYTHING they want) of the service items you are looking for, E+, SWU's, UDU, Res agents with English as a primary language, a robust website, F/C on Regional planes, No StarNet blocking.......... Are you NOT going to fly them because of a logo or font?
Old May 3, 2010, 10:35 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
I like the new livery, but "United" in that hokey typeface has to go. I would keep the old UA typeface but with the CO logo and colors.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I am in the camp that can live with the revised livery but would prefer to see the font stay in the all cap UNITED format. Also, is there a way to keep the United so that it is centered between doors 1 and 2? I totally get that it is a great way to have a fair 'merger of equals' and if it keeps the troops happy and makes for a smoother integration process then fine.

I will miss the tulip! And I do think the current livery of United is great. But we all need this merger to happen so the airline can make some money and provide a stable environment for it's employees and shareholders, and thus ultimately better service to all of us.

Exciting times!!
Old May 3, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by UnitedConnection
My idea of a compromise that doesn't sacrifice a universally recognizable brand: keep the UA font, ditch the globe and replace it with the tulip, but recolor the tulip in CO blue and gold. Maybe someone with photoshop skills could show us what this would look like?
90 seconds of photoshop yields (hardly professional, but you get what you pay for):

or

Old May 3, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by biruviannation
Even the current UA logo is a looking a bit tired. I'm definitely not a fan of just changing the letters from Continental to United on the CO planes, so count me in for an entire new logo design. I propose an FT design contest. . .
Here's where they should have a logo contest:

www.99designs.com

It all depends on your theory of design. Some people think that you spend a fortune on some superstar and you'll get the best logo. I'm more a fan of having ten thousand designers take a shot and picking the best one. I used this site for my company logo and got lots of good ideas, mostly from overseas. My designer friends were horrified, what with the specter of outsourcing and all, but agreed that there were some good suggestions.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:38 am

I'll bet this is not the final version. They probably will come up with something more catchy as the merger goes along.
Old May 3, 2010, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive
I have no qualms with some slight jiggering of the typeface or font -- but NO RETURN of the tulip! ^^^

Last edited by HeathrowGuy; May 3, 2010 at 10:50 am
Old May 3, 2010, 10:45 am

Programs: Free agent!
Another here.

Not as daft to consider switching airlines based on a logo but man, I'll really miss the Saul Bass designed tulip and 68 degree slanting of the ends of the T in United. I'm also going to lull myself into thinking that this isn't the final and actual livery which'll be used. If we're going to have CO's livery, can we at least have the old flying meatball logo?
Old May 3, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: Various
Another 90 seconds with photoshop for the globe logo and United fontmark:

Old May 3, 2010, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xzh445
Both Copa & Aera Republica haven't anything to do with either CO or the new UA but the logo's are similar...
That's incorrect. Copa has been affiliated with CO since 1998. That year, CO acquired a 49% stake in Copa Holdings. Copa Holdings acquired Aero Republica in 2005, and Aero Republica is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Copa Holdings. Later that same year, CO reduced its stock ownership in Copa Holdings, something which it did again in 2006, and by May of 2008, CO had divested all its stock in Copa. Notwithstanding that, both airlines remain allied with CO and both are part of the OnePass frequent flyer program. The similarity in livery is no accident.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; May 3, 2010 at 10:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.