Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My United Upgrade Instruments (SWU/CR-1) Are Going to Expire - What Are my Options?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2003, 11:20 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Original Poster

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

A friendly reminder from your volunteer moderators.

Year-end questions such as these are bound to come up and we are happy to have this thread exist as a source of information. However, we would also request members take note of the following:

Please do not offer or solicit transfers of upgrade instruments in this forum, even in "jest".

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...forum-436.html

Members with questions about the Coupon Connection Forum are kindly asked to refer to the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/techn...onnection.html

Thank you,

iluv2fly, l'etoile, Ocn Vw 1k, and FlyinHawaiian
United Mileage Plus Forum volunteer moderators

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 1, 2011 at 1:59 pm
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:49 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Chances of extending 1 SWU thru 2010

Previous years, ive heard that United will allow you to extend 1 SWU for another year, do u think they will do this again? And what are the chances if you asked?
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:08 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
My guess:

Very likely if you requalify as 1K.

Not a prayer if you don't.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Seems like 1Ks got a single extension through April this year, based on a quick glance at these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-merged-3.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-2008-a.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-question.html
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
From what we have seen this past year, I would say the odds of extending one are good. The odds of them extending it the whole year of 2010 are zero. Extension will probably be no more than they gave this year.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Extending SWU expiration

Originally Posted by panjfj
Previous years, ive heard that United will allow you to extend 1 SWU for another year, do u think they will do this again? And what are the chances if you asked?
You might think of doing a trade with someone with a later expiring SWU, but offering some premium for doing the trade.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Soon to be expired SWU (Nov 09) - what are my options?

My last unused SWU is about to expire end of Nov 09. Most likely i wont be flying in November to make good use of it.

What are my option to avoid simply loosing this SWU?

Thanks!
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
If you don't want to let it expire, you'll just need to find someone to upgrade. You can sponsor anyone you want who is on an eligible fare.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by pumical
My last unused SWU is about to expire end of Nov 09. Most likely i wont be flying in November to make good use of it.

What are my option to avoid simply loosing this SWU?

Thanks!
You must have a family member or friend who has never experienced status or an upgrade who would appreciate it.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 1:11 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
Extending SWU's

In previous years, UA allowed an extension of 1 SWU. Two years ago, I think you could extend it (by calling) until the end of June. Last year you could extend until the end of April. Does anyone know whether UA will allow an extension of 2009 SWU's considering their new policies?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM+, SPG Plat
I have an SWU that expires today and called to ask if I can extend it until Tuesday to use on a cross-country flight and was told no.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Last year this benefit was confirmed on/about Nov. 21, 2008, allowing a 1K to extend one (1) SWU expiring 1/30/09 to 4/30/09. Not sure if you had to have re-qualified.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 1:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
In past years (as an unpublished, not guaranteed to repeat, benefit) has extended one SWU. This has been for the annual SWUs expiring in January.
last year thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ed-2008-a.html

Since yours expires before January, I would suspect an extension is unlikely and therefor gifting to someone else is your only option.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 2, 2009 at 11:05 pm
Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:05 pm

Countdown to SWU Expiration (November 30)

All:

I have 2 SWUs that are set to expire on 11/30/2009. I'm traveling in NC next week and won't be back until 12/1/2009. So I will be unable to use these SWUs. (Am I correct in saying that I can't use SWUs expiring in November for travel that is occurring in December?)

Anyway, I have to get rid of them. So here are my options (as far as I see them).

1. Since I'm going through IAD on Wednesday, I could try and upgrade a serviceman/servicewoman on a flight, (I recall the KWI flight having a decent number of military passengers).

2. Is there any chance I could finagle an upgrade to F on an award ticket using an SWU?

3. Can I somehow get one of these Lufthansa paper certificates to continue the life of these SWUs?

4. My biggest preference would be to use them for my mother who is traveling on December 22 on IAD-LHR. But she's non-MP and traveling after November 30.

Basically any suggestion you might have about last minute efforts to use an SWU would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
2, 3, and 4 will not work. Your options are to use them or lose them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.