Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Best Way to Register Formal Complaint re Call Button Non-Response?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat

I know some will think this is par for the course in terms of United service standards, but I'm highly irritated that I had to wait 30 minutes for a response to the call button I pressed today in C class on a LAX-IAD flight. During that half hour, the light above my head, alerting the cabin staff to my request, mysteriously went off after a few minutes - was it remotely disconnected? But I pressed the button again and the light remained on for at least 20 minutes while many FAs passed enroute to FC. After half an hour, "my" FA showed up to ask both my seatmate and I whether we needed anything else before landing, as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

I had originally pressed the button because I was dehydrated and needed water after sleeping, and was in the window seat. I hadn't had any previous unusual interactions with the cabin staff.

I find this completely unacceptable, so is 1K Voice the best way of registering a complaint that gets noticed? Frankly, Skykits should address such issues but I seriously doubt they do! In any case, I wasn't about to ask the washed-out FAs for one.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:19 pm

Get over it, if they were walking up and down flag one of them and ask for what you want.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:23 pm

why not just press it on/off a couple of times...ding, ding, ding, ding, ding...
(although the FA might come over to ask you to stop playing with it , but at least you will get service ...)
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:25 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by Explore
I know some will think this is par for the course in terms of United service standards, but I'm highly irritated that I had to wait 30 minutes for a response to the call button I pressed today in C class on a LAX-IAD flight. During that half hour, the light above my head, alerting the cabin staff to my request, mysteriously went off after a few minutes - was it remotely disconnected? But I pressed the button again and the light remained on for at least 20 minutes while many FAs passed enroute to FC. After half an hour, "my" FA showed up to ask both my seatmate and I whether we needed anything else before landing, as if nothing was out of the ordinary.

I find this completely unacceptable, so is 1K Voice the best way of registering a complaint that gets noticed? Frankly, Skykits should address such issues but I seriously doubt they do! In any case, I wasn't about to ask the washed-out FAs for one.
Not sure I understand why you couldn't have gotten up and asked the FA if you really wanted water. <even getting out of the window seat> Also, calling FAs names e.g., washed-out. . .really doesn't seem very respectful imo.

Last edited by ldsant; Jan 18, 2010 at 9:26 pm Reason: Was writing at the same time as other posters. . mike said the same thing
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:28 pm

Really? I sit in the window all the time. I ring the button and if that does not work, all I have to do is lean forward a little and give the flight attendant a smile while cracking my mouth like I am about to talk. Works every time.

Are we becoming completely incapable as a society to 'think outside the box' to solve our problems?
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
If FAs were passing you by and you didn't somehow flag them down, you have to accept your part of the responsibility here.

But this is one area that UA needs to work on. Why isn't there a checklist that requires that they offer water every 30 minutes of flight? I don't want to start some "Airline vs. Airline" argument/debate, but I understand that among FAs it's widely known that UA is among the most lax on this sort of thing in their premium cabins. Certainly that's been my experience over the years. If I have a seat in F or C should I really feel compelled to try to remember to find a $5 bottle of water somewhere airside prior to boarding? No, but I do. And it sucks.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
I've mashed the button a couple of times. but c'mon, if you are that thirsty, why are you waiting 30 min.? either hit the button again or go up and get a drink. IIRC, the 777's call buttons do not illuminate as brightly as the 752 (which I frequent most). it could be they overlooked your call and reset.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Amazing that few seem to think call button non-response is an issue. Why do they even have call buttons then?

Certainly if I could have attracted the attention of a passing FA, I would have done so. But since I was in front of the bulkhead, and wasn't about to face backward, not possible.

No, I shouldn't have to get out of a window seat and visit the galley to satisfy my needs, IMHO. What if I was infirm, or the seat belt light was on? Plus you'd think C class would count for something, although I'd be aggrieved if I was in Y.

I think I should cross-post this on the Virgin America forum to see what they say.

The only point of note for me is that the light might have been hard to see with the 777 design.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
I know some will think this is par for the course in terms of United service standards, but I'm highly irritated that I had to wait 30 minutes for a response to the call button I pressed today in C class on a LAX-IAD flight.
I agree that this is a problem. Happened to me several times on TATL flights in C (old), ended up getting up to get a drink. Had window seat so had to wake up my neighbor to get out. Unfortunately par for the course as you say. Complain to 1KVoice, maybe eventually UA will get the message. But do not expect much of a response.

Last edited by FreFly; Jan 18, 2010 at 9:56 pm
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
I know some will think this is par for the course in terms of United service standards...
No - it's just the replies are par for the course as far as UA FTers typically accepting the abhorrent degradation of premium cabin service. And people wonder why no one bothers paying for C on UA.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 9:57 pm

Amazing that few seem to think call button non-response is an issue. Why do they even have call buttons then?

Certainly if I could have attracted the attention of a passing FA, I would have done so. But since I was in front of the bulkhead, and wasn't about to face backward, not possible.

No, I shouldn't have to get out of a window seat and visit the galley to satisfy my needs, IMHO. What if I was infirm, or the seat belt light was on? Plus you'd think C class would count for something, although I'd be aggrieved if I was in Y.

I think I should cross-post this on the Virgin America forum to see what they say.

The only point of note for me is that the light might have been hard to see with the 777 design.
again...press that sucker a few times... that should do the trick
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K; BA Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
No - it's just the replies are par for the course as far as UA FTers typically accepting the abhorrent degradation of premium cabin service. And people wonder why no one bothers paying for C on UA.
Quite true, though I have to say with regards to the call button thing, you should maybe just get out of your seat if you are thirsty.. though if UA FA's were actually caring and considerate you wouldn't have to cause they would have been coming through the cabin periodically offering water rather than .....ing about their pax in the galley and reading People... if I could afford full C fares I'd stick to airlines like SQ, LH, or SK rather than throwing money down the drain in exchange for crappy service
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
oh PLEASE!!!

I had originally pressed the button because I was dehydrated and needed water after sleeping, and was in the window seat. I hadn't had any previous unusual interactions with the cabin staff.

I mean heaven forbid you take the time to speak to the lowly servants... you rang your service bell!

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 19, 2010 at 2:06 pm Reason: off-topic
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:23 pm

If you want to complain, complain. You don't need to ask for permission from FTer's. It seems it was a big deal for you based on your post and replies, so I'd go ahead and write a letter or call if it helps. Good luck.

AD

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Jan 18, 2010 at 10:47 pm
Old Jan 18, 2010, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA PlatPro, UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Remember the flight attendants are here primarily for your safety.

Seriously though, I've had this happen in C before transcontinental - and I just ding it a few more times til I see them visibly huff to get up out of their jumpseat and put down their magazine/newspaper/whatever and bring me my free booze. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.