Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia) {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia) {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:28 am

Flying into/out of ZFW/Amtrak Phila.

I was using kayak to find the lowest fare between PHL-CLE and CLE-PHL. Often, I find that ZFV-EWR-CLE and CLE-EWR-ZFV from United comes up very discounted over EWR-CLE and CLE-EWR nonstops, and pretty low in general for PHL CLE and about $137 one-way. I was considering going with this option, as it might be better than Delta's change planes in ATL which UA is pricing close.

Does it work exactly the same like a connection flight? I assume not atleast with checking bags as it would be done at EWR.

Suppose, I was flying CLE-EWR-ZFV but that I didn't take the EWR-ZFV train segment. Would I have to take the EWR-ZFW train ride in order for UA to post miles to my FF account?

Does UA have it's check in system well in place at 30th Street Station that it knows if I have boarded the ZFV-EWR train ride? Suppose for example, I ended up getting a ride to EWR. Would UA cancel my ticket on EWR-CLE because I didn't use the train?

Any travel experiences using ZFV would be helpful.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
There is a whole thread on it here. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ladelphia.html

You can't check luggage, you check in at the Amtrak machine at the station under "code share" and put in your UA flight number, and it prints you out a ticket.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:04 am

Yes, I did the EWR-ZFV connection, round trip, recently, with my family.

It seemed to work similar to a regular connection, with added complexity.

When you check in online for your travel, you do not get a train ticket. Instead you get a page that has confirmation number for train ticket. It instucts you to use an Amtrak ticket machine to get your ticket (by entering airline codeshare confirmation number). Unfotunately, the machine did not work (on either end) - this may have been because of multiple people traveling together in our case.

In any case, the ticket agents at both EWR and ZFV were able to generate the tickets very easily and without question. In fact, at the EWR train station, the Amtrak agent offered to move us to an earlier train since the connection was so long.

That move to an earlier train did, however, possibly cause complications, since the UA system registered us as having not taken the train leg and canceled our return ticket. I suppose this could also have been due to the conductor not reading the tickets properly or similar.

Luckily, I had checked the reservation in the middle of the trip and had it re-issued without problem, including same seats. This did require escalation to a supervisor. I did have used train tickets in hand and also had taken photos of our party on the train (done to generate time-stamped evidence of train travel) and would suggest you do the same.

The moral of the story is that UA does obviously track the train legs, no pun intended. They cannot be skipped. Of note, the train is much more comfortable that the plane.

Last edited by schwarm; Sep 20, 2015 at 10:01 am
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is unique to the Amtrak/UA partnership on this route that your return seats are cancelled if you skip the outbound. Amtrak agents don't consider that when reissuing for an earlier/later train.

If you do make a change, simply make certain that the return is intact after the new tickets are issued. Reconfirm that the next day as well.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:24 am

Thanks for the responses. I originally searched and mistyped ZFW. Then I fixed my posts with ZFV.

It's strange that on UA's website, if I enter PHL and Search Nearby Airports, ZFV results won't appear even when it's cheaper. Kayak is the site that alerted me of the lower fares, as kayak's search associates ZFV with PHL.

On a side note, It appeared that Continental had ZFV in place, mainly targeted for international flights. e.g. ZFV-EWR-LHR for example. When I used to try ZFV for domestic, it would price very high.

Has UA's strategy with ZFV changed? Because, now it's cheap for domestic flights. I was looking at a ticket on 9/29 where it's $133 CLE-EWR-ZFV one-way. Amtrak is selling the train seat for $59.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by beyondhere
Thanks for the responses. I originally searched and mistyped ZFW. Then I fixed my posts with ZFV.

It's strange that on UA's website, if I enter PHL and Search Nearby Airports, ZFV results won't appear even when it's cheaper. Kayak is the site that alerted me of the lower fares, as kayak's search associates ZFV with PHL.

On a side note, It appeared that Continental had ZFV in place, mainly targeted for international flights. e.g. ZFV-EWR-LHR for example. When I used to try ZFV for domestic, it would price very high.

Has UA's strategy with ZFV changed? Because, now it's cheap for domestic flights. I was looking at a ticket on 9/29 where it's $133 CLE-EWR-ZFV one-way. Amtrak is selling the train seat for $59.
UA no longer has EWR-PHL service, except through EWR-ZFV. My understanding is this is how UA gets the PHL market that would use EWR for logical connections. Otherwise, UA will send you from PHL via ORD or IAD then on to EWR to make the EWR flight.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 11:43 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Can the conductor lift the ticket using the lookup function on his iphone if you haven't printed at quiktrak? I know they can do that with normal Amtrak tickets but not sure w code share.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Can the conductor lift the ticket using the lookup function on his iphone if you haven't printed at quiktrak? I know they can do that with normal Amtrak tickets but not sure w code share.
Yes, sort of, but there are some complications. I did this once, but I forget the specifics. I posted well upthread about it if you're interested in searching.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by dparkinson
What would be the circumstance that would require for you to do that. There is an agent and Quik Trak Machine at EWR and ZFV. Not understanding your question? Thanks and Safe Travels.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Machine
What would be the circumstance that would require for you to do that. There is an agent and Quik Trak Machine at EWR and ZFV. Not understanding your question? Thanks and Safe Travels.
Back in the CO days, my wife and I were going ZFV-EWR-LAS. Our train to EWR was at 6 am. The quick trak machine didnt pull our reservation, and the Amtrak counters were not yet staffed due to the early hour. Thus is a case where that might be necessary.

Because I know some will ask, she and I just hopped back in the car and drove to Ewr and told the check in desk what happened. This was pre-smartphone app days.....
Old Sep 28, 2015, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by jackal
Yes, sort of, but there are some complications. I did this once, but I forget the specifics. I posted well upthread about it if you're interested in searching.
I found the post where I discussed my experience:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21734532-post1110.html
Old Oct 3, 2015, 12:49 pm

Would anyone here know why there are no fares from YHZ (Halifax) to ZTF, ZVE, or ZWI? Only ZFV is offered.

I actually would like to ride trains more often.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sokolov
Would anyone here know why there are no fares from YHZ (Halifax) to ZTF, ZVE, or ZWI? Only ZFV is offered.

I actually would like to ride trains more often.
You could just "add" on that segment as a separate Amtrak leg.
Old Oct 3, 2015, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by aacharya
You could just "add" on that segment as a separate Amtrak leg.
Not according to the ITA Matrix. I always get "no flights found". I haven't tried the united website yet. Also, it is not the same as a through tariff. :-)
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by sokolov
Not according to the ITA Matrix. I always get "no flights found". I haven't tried the united website yet. Also, it is not the same as a through tariff. :-)
Try the multiple destination search, where you choose each segment individually.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.