FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia) {Archive} (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1976006-united-amtrak-codeshare-faq-including-zfv-philadelphia-archive.html)

martig4 Nov 23, 2004 11:17 am

United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia) {Archive}

[content now in wikipost]

With the recent plethora of questions regarding ZFV / Amtrak travel I thought it time to write a FAQ.

I welcome any comments and will revise the FAQ accordingly based upon feedback.

martig4

mbreuer Nov 23, 2004 11:23 am

Originally Posted by martig4
With the recent plethora of questions regarding ZFV / Amtrak travel I thought it time to write a FAQ.

martig4

Excellent work. The only point I'd make is to watch out for the "15 min" monorail. The frequency of the monorail varies by day of week and time of day. Usually it's every 4 min - but the first/only time I arrived on Amtrak (with a ZFV ticket) it was every 1/2 hour (Sunday afternoon). Fortunately I had taken an earlier train or I would have missed my flight (last one out that day to sjc).

J.Edward Nov 23, 2004 11:27 am

martig4

Yes! ^ Good job :)

J.Edward

Arcolaio99 Nov 23, 2004 11:33 am

Thanks for the time and effort put into this. Much appreciated!

Magic Pickles Nov 23, 2004 12:22 pm

[QUOTE=martig4ZFV – New Haven, CT [/QUOTE]

Excellent post! Only 1 correction - code for New Haven should be ZVE

martig4 Nov 23, 2004 12:27 pm

[QUOTE=Magic Pickles]

Originally Posted by martig4ZFV – New Haven, CT [/QUOTE

Excellent post! Only 1 correction - code for New Haven should be ZVE

Corrected.

Thanks.

Xyzzy Nov 23, 2004 12:42 pm

I want to drive/taxi/walk to the airport, do I actually have to obtain my ticket in Philadelphia and ride the train?

Technically, you are supposed to ride the train. Members here regularly ticket themselves from ZFV and simply find their own way to the airport. No member has reported cancelled flight segments for not using or even obtaining the Amtrak tickets.

Beware -- I know of two different FT people who have had problems with cancelled CO segments, due to CO thinking that they missed Amtrak segments!

HobokenFlyer Nov 23, 2004 12:59 pm

Any info on ballpark times when miles will post both on CO/Amtrak segments and from Acela/Metroliner segments?

Magic Pickles Nov 23, 2004 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
Any info on ballpark times when miles will post both on CO/Amtrak segments and from Acela/Metroliner segments?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...amtrak+posting

sapman986 Nov 23, 2004 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Beware -- I know of two different FT people who have had problems with cancelled CO segments, due to CO thinking that they missed Amtrak segments!

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess that they did not use online check in before the scheduled departure of the trains. I doubt CO would cancel the air segments if you had already checked in.

cerealmarketer Nov 23, 2004 2:04 pm

martig4

Great job. And just in time for my first try of the ZFV routing tomorrow. I am actually a NW member, and am curious to see if Amtrak segments will post at all.

Xyzzy Nov 23, 2004 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by sapman986
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess that they did not use online check in before the scheduled departure of the trains. I doubt CO would cancel the air segments if you had already checked in.

Online checkin doesn't check you in for the Amtrak segments. I know for a fact that one of the people with problems used online checkin. The problem wasn't with the immediately following Amtrak segment, it was with the return.

sapman986 Nov 23, 2004 2:42 pm

Online checkin doesn't check you in for the Amtrak segments. I know for a fact that one of the people with problems used online checkin. The problem wasn't with the immediately following Amtrak segment, it was with the return.

Hmmm. That's worrying. I'm aware that CO doesn't check you in for the Amtrak segments, but was presuming that once you are checked in for the CO segment that the flight portions would not be touched. From what I have read on here, the CO and Amtrak systems supposedly don't talk to each other much.

How did either of them get the problem resolved? Did CO reinstate their segments?

fly co to see the yanks Nov 23, 2004 3:19 pm

yeah, while i am sure the original poster was well-intentioned, it is probably not a good idea to have this thread whatsoever. not only should this not be sticky, it should be killed.

die thread, please die.

if not, the CO beancounters might put investigate all ZFV tickets which could lead to some unpleasant surprises at the airport. :mad:

UpgradeMe Nov 23, 2004 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Great job. And just in time for my first try of the ZFV routing tomorrow. I am actually a NW member, and am curious to see if Amtrak segments will post at all.

Amtrak is not a NW partner. Your train segments will not post to WP.