Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia) {Archive}

United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia) {Archive}

Old Nov 23, 04, 11:17 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PHL
Programs: AA Exec Plat Hilton Diamond Marriott Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 102
United-Amtrak Codeshare FAQ - Including ZFV (Philadelphia) {Archive}

[content now in wikipost]

With the recent plethora of questions regarding ZFV / Amtrak travel I thought it time to write a FAQ.

I welcome any comments and will revise the FAQ accordingly based upon feedback.

martig4

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 17, 19 at 4:08 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
martig4 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 04, 11:23 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Posts: 3,970
Originally Posted by martig4
With the recent plethora of questions regarding ZFV / Amtrak travel I thought it time to write a FAQ.

I welcome any comments and will revise the FAQ accordingly based upon feedback.

martig4
Excellent work. The only point I'd make is to watch out for the "15 min" monorail. The frequency of the monorail varies by day of week and time of day. Usually it's every 4 min - but the first/only time I arrived on Amtrak (with a ZFV ticket) it was every 1/2 hour (Sunday afternoon). Fortunately I had taken an earlier train or I would have missed my flight (last one out that day to sjc).
mbreuer is offline  
Old Nov 23, 04, 11:27 am
  #3  
Moderator: United MileagePlus
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Posts: 8,676
Originally Posted by martig4
With the recent plethora of questions regarding ZFV / Amtrak travel I thought it time to write a FAQ.

I welcome any comments and will revise the FAQ accordingly based upon feedback.

martig4
Yes! Good job

J.Edward
J.Edward is offline  
Old Nov 23, 04, 11:33 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 8,216
Thanks for the time and effort put into this. Much appreciated!
Arcolaio99 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 04, 12:22 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: UA 1K - 1.5MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy LT Titanium (Ambassador thru 1/20), Hyatt Glob
Posts: 618
[QUOTE=martig4ZFV New Haven, CT [/QUOTE]

Excellent post! Only 1 correction - code for New Haven should be ZVE
Magic Pickles is offline  
Old Nov 23, 04, 12:27 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PHL
Programs: AA Exec Plat Hilton Diamond Marriott Diamond Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 102
[QUOTE=Magic Pickles]
Originally Posted by martig4ZFV New Haven, CT [/QUOTE

Excellent post! Only 1 correction - code for New Haven should be ZVE
Corrected.

Thanks.
martig4 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 04, 12:42 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 28,253
Originally Posted by martig4
I want to drive/taxi/walk to the airport, do I actually have to obtain my ticket in Philadelphia and ride the train?

Technically, you are supposed to ride the train. Members here regularly ticket themselves from ZFV and simply find their own way to the airport. No member has reported cancelled flight segments for not using or even obtaining the Amtrak tickets.
Beware -- I know of two different FT people who have had problems with cancelled CO segments, due to CO thinking that they missed Amtrak segments!

Last edited by Xyzzy; Nov 23, 04 at 12:50 pm
Xyzzy is online now  
Old Nov 23, 04, 12:59 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Central Florida
Programs: Bonvoy-Gold, HH-Gold, Sixt-Plat
Posts: 2,043
Any info on ballpark times when miles will post both on CO/Amtrak segments and from Acela/Metroliner segments?
HobokenFlyer is offline  
Old Nov 23, 04, 1:24 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: New York, NY, USA
Programs: UA 1K - 1.5MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Spire, Bonvoy LT Titanium (Ambassador thru 1/20), Hyatt Glob
Posts: 618
Originally Posted by HobokenFlyer
Any info on ballpark times when miles will post both on CO/Amtrak segments and from Acela/Metroliner segments?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...amtrak+posting
Magic Pickles is offline  
Old Nov 23, 04, 2:00 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,086
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Beware -- I know of two different FT people who have had problems with cancelled CO segments, due to CO thinking that they missed Amtrak segments!
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess that they did not use online check in before the scheduled departure of the trains. I doubt CO would cancel the air segments if you had already checked in.
sapman986 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 04, 2:04 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC: UA 1K, DL Platinum, AAirpass, Avis PC
Posts: 4,506
Originally Posted by martig4
With the recent plethora of questions regarding ZFV / Amtrak travel I thought it time to write a FAQ.

I welcome any comments and will revise the FAQ accordingly based upon feedback.

martig4
Great job. And just in time for my first try of the ZFV routing tomorrow. I am actually a NW member, and am curious to see if Amtrak segments will post at all.
cerealmarketer is online now  
Old Nov 23, 04, 2:33 pm
  #12  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW & UA forum moderator emeritus
Posts: 28,253
Originally Posted by sapman986
I'm going to take a shot in the dark here and guess that they did not use online check in before the scheduled departure of the trains. I doubt CO would cancel the air segments if you had already checked in.
Online checkin doesn't check you in for the Amtrak segments. I know for a fact that one of the people with problems used online checkin. The problem wasn't with the immediately following Amtrak segment, it was with the return.
Xyzzy is online now  
Old Nov 23, 04, 2:42 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,086
Originally Posted by xyzzy
Online checkin doesn't check you in for the Amtrak segments. I know for a fact that one of the people with problems used online checkin. The problem wasn't with the immediately following Amtrak segment, it was with the return.
Hmmm. That's worrying. I'm aware that CO doesn't check you in for the Amtrak segments, but was presuming that once you are checked in for the CO segment that the flight portions would not be touched. From what I have read on here, the CO and Amtrak systems supposedly don't talk to each other much.

How did either of them get the problem resolved? Did CO reinstate their segments?
sapman986 is offline  
Old Nov 23, 04, 3:19 pm
  #14  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: new york, ny, usa
Posts: 13,537
Angry

Originally Posted by xyzzy
Beware -- I know of two different FT people who have had problems with cancelled CO segments, due to CO thinking that they missed Amtrak segments!
yeah, while i am sure the original poster was well-intentioned, it is probably not a good idea to have this thread whatsoever. not only should this not be sticky, it should be killed.

die thread, please die.

if not, the CO beancounters might put investigate all ZFV tickets which could lead to some unpleasant surprises at the airport.
fly co to see the yanks is offline  
Old Nov 23, 04, 3:41 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Land of 10,000 Upgrades
Posts: 9,465
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Great job. And just in time for my first try of the ZFV routing tomorrow. I am actually a NW member, and am curious to see if Amtrak segments will post at all.
Amtrak is not a NW partner. Your train segments will not post to WP.
UpgradeMe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread