Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United Express CRJ-700

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The CRJ-700 is essentially a stretch CRJ-200 / CL-65.

FIRST CLASS CABIN
First Class is two rows of 1+2 seating. The lefthand side is A and the two righthand seats are D(Aisle) and F(Window). Seat width is given as 19". The paired seats have a wide armrest, but not as wide as that found on the domestic First seat. Probably an inch less or so, and no sculpted little "tray" for drinks.

Pitch is officially given as 37" and this looks to be about right for Row 2. Row 1 has about 40" or so.

There are overhead bins along the right side of the First Class cabin, and they are the same size as those on the CRJ-200. Anything bigger then a laptop bag/briefcase/purse will need to be gate checked.

ECONOMY CABIN
The seats are 2+2 and are covered in blue leather (or a reasonable facsimile thereof). E+ seating is rows 7-9 and row 18 and have 34 inch pitch. All other economy rows have 30" pitch.

Related thread
Heads Up: CR7 Configuration and Seatmap Changes
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United Express CRJ-700

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2004, 8:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCdogmom
Sat in Row 12 IAD-AUS. VERY uncomfortable. Lots of leg room but like sitting on a wooden bench. Husband felt the same way. FA confirmed that other seats were more comfortable.
Exit row seats on the CR7 are significantly less padded then other seats. I think it has something to do with less obstruction of the exit...

On a 1-class CR7, I'd recommend a row one aisle seat. The seats are actually quite comfortable and you get plenty of space to stretch your legs.
Old May 3, 2004, 9:44 pm

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by ldsant
(we had to circle for an additional one hour so total flight time was >4 hours)
Ouch.

This is why I always take the Mesa CR7 with F to RDU from ORD, or the BAe to IAD and then connect (twice, if I have to)

No way UA is getting me on a 4 hour RJ ride.
Old May 3, 2004, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by DCdogmom
Sat in Row 12 IAD-AUS. VERY uncomfortable. Lots of leg room but like sitting on a wooden bench.
Agreed. Was on a 700 yesterday from DEN to AUS, in 12C (exit row). It wasn't well padded, and yes there was lots of leg room, but the real problem was that the seat bottom angled slightly donwards towards the front. Overall, though, I'd prefer it to the other seats.
Old May 4, 2004, 4:19 am

row 12

but the real problem was that the seat bottom angled slightly donwards towards the front
I thought that was the case. A pillow under the front part of your legs makes it MUCH better.
Old May 4, 2004, 9:28 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, LH M&M, Finnair Plus, SPG Preferred Plus
Of course - from things I've heard (but not confirmed yet) - configurations could change quite a bit on certain CR7's... but I've said too much already I'll say more when I can confirm it.

Happy Travels!
Kai
Old May 5, 2004, 1:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Update: so after a zillion hours booking this flight & going through gyrations to get the flights (I still would have preferred to go through ORD & via ual.com; sep story).

Ok, booked via orbitz (my first time ever) only because UA was $300 for the same friggin' flights that UA was $600. Ok, no worries - UA agent says book orbitz (what's wrong w/ that picture?) & call back for upgrades. So I do. No problem (although I was a tad worried when she tried to tell me F was 2+2 when I knew it was 1+2).

So today, filing paperwork in the office (including printout) & come across the reservation print-out & think something seems weird, call back. Do - and the rep says - oh sorry she didn't put in your F request on the RJ & it's not available.

Now, as you've all noted, econ sucks - especially for a long flight in an RJ - and darn it when i booked & called I was told I had first. Let me put it another way - I'd slit my wrists before going in RJ econ that long.

So I (gently) say, well that's not gonna work. She says nothing I can do. I gently (but firmly) repeat - well, that's not gonna work (are you friggin' nuts mentally thought). She gets supervisor on, they agree agent screwed up, & get me out 2 hours (plus long connection time) later - in F.

That's the good news. The bad is that no meals (on mainline due to reroute) & - more importantly - was meeting client at airport but now I'm arriving 3 hours later so can't make mtg.

Anyway, didn't expect IFE especially video but would have been good to get audio. Bummer. Ok, next year I book 3 friggin' months out instead of 2 & go back to booking via ORD, so I can get mainline most of the way.

sea_tigger, this better be as good as you said! btw - on the re-schedule, i went 1a.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; May 5, 2004 at 1:36 am
Old May 5, 2004, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Sharon,

If you are flying the CR-7 in F, bring your own meal. They only offer a light meal, the shiney gold pretzel/nuts pack.

Seriously, I do like the CR-7 F offered by Mesa. I have flown this 2 configuration twice now and would do it again. SEA_Tigger is absolutely correct in selecting 1A or 2A as this is the single seat. I have flown 2D both times and that is not too bad either. First time I had 2F empty and the second time had a seatmate. Best of luck.
Old May 5, 2004, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Geh. Sorry to hear about your experiences, Sharon.

I booked SEA-ORD-BNA on the outbound because the DEN-BNA outbounds were CL-65s. Did it once in 1C, so I survived, but never again except under duress.

BNA-DEN-SEA was my only real choice back, so I snagged the Exit Row aisle and put in for upgrade, which cleared at 72 hours, fortunately.
Old May 6, 2004, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
SEA_Tigger,

Too bad the BA Grill does not cater for UAL.

I think we should do this again on my next trip to Seattle. What do you think.

Anyway, back to the thread, CR700s are very good in F and typical in Y as any CRJ (Cramped Regional Jet) can be.
Old May 6, 2004, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by RobotDoctor
SEA_Tigger, too bad the BA Grill does not cater for UAL.
They'd have to fly 744s just to carry the meat for the "Platters of Doom".

I think we should do this again on my next trip to Seattle. What do you think?
Like you have to ask.

Anyway, back to the thread, CR700s are very good in F and typical in Y as any CRJ (Cramped Regional Jet) can be.
Aye. But at least we now have six great seats (Rows 1 and 2), four darned good seats (Row 3), and four good seats (Row 12 with pillows or blankets) as opposed to just four good seats, (Row 1) on the CL-65. That's a plus.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
CJ700 Upgrades

I'm riding one of the CRJ 700s with F/C seating this week. However, United.com says it's not upgradeable. I checked the availability and all the seats are open. Anyone know what's up? It's not a big deal for a short flight, of course. I'm really just more curious about F/C on an RJ than anything else!
Old Jun 8, 2004, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not sure. I had a flight from IAD to PHL last month in a Mesa CRJ-700 w/F. I was preassigned a Y seat on a B fare. I asked about this and the gate agent saw F was open. She saw that I had a qualifying fare and still could not move me up. After some work, she upgraded me and I was the only F passenger.

With luck, this is the same situation.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I wonder if it's something in the check-in that automatically "assumes" all UAX flights are coach and no F seats available?
Old Jun 8, 2004, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Perhaps UA has finally realized that SQ's upgrade policy is better. Hopefully, we'll see this on all UA flights. Not that I'm holding my breath.
Old Jun 8, 2004, 4:50 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
I've had this same issue several times with the 1K desk. When asking for an upgrade they see the carrier is UX and just skip right over that particular segment. I just kindly point out there is a first class section on that aircraft, they look, say oops, and give me a FC seat assignment. Thus far I've never been waitlisted or denied the upgrade.

danville 1K

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.