Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United Express CRJ-700

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The CRJ-700 is essentially a stretch CRJ-200 / CL-65.

FIRST CLASS CABIN
First Class is two rows of 1+2 seating. The lefthand side is A and the two righthand seats are D(Aisle) and F(Window). Seat width is given as 19". The paired seats have a wide armrest, but not as wide as that found on the domestic First seat. Probably an inch less or so, and no sculpted little "tray" for drinks.

Pitch is officially given as 37" and this looks to be about right for Row 2. Row 1 has about 40" or so.

There are overhead bins along the right side of the First Class cabin, and they are the same size as those on the CRJ-200. Anything bigger then a laptop bag/briefcase/purse will need to be gate checked.

ECONOMY CABIN
The seats are 2+2 and are covered in blue leather (or a reasonable facsimile thereof). E+ seating is rows 7-9 and row 18 and have 34 inch pitch. All other economy rows have 30" pitch.

Related thread
Heads Up: CR7 Configuration and Seatmap Changes
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United Express CRJ-700

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Is Skywest the only UX with the RJ700? Or did Mesa get some too?
Mesa has RJ700s as well, and so will our newest United Express carrier, GoJet when it starts operations later this year or in 2006.
Old Jul 20, 2005, 10:26 am

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Are there any plans to refit the CR200's with E+? Those seats are the pits (other than 1B or 1C ).
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by TonySCV
Are there any plans to refit the CR200's with E+? Those seats are the pits (other than 1B or 1C ).
All of mine have been stuffed, so I tend to think they seem to be "right-sized" for their routes. Fortunately, as CRJ-700s and Embraer 170s enter the fleet, CRJ-200s are being moved to the sub-500 mile hops they are acceptable for.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA 1KUGS, AA Plat., SPG Plat., Hertz Five*
Everything you wanted to know about explus UnitedFirst [CRJ700]

The beginning of the year I spent many miles flying on RJs. Then I noticed UnitedFirst appearing on certain flight with the emb140s (great aircraft). Recently, United annouced its new explus service. I find this better than Business1 service that United offers.

ORD->CVG approx. 45mins flying time
Equipment: CRJ700
Service: Beverage/Snack
FAs: 2

The best place to sit on any explus aircraft is the A side. A is a single row of seats, whereas CD is a pair. Row 1 on either side is the best. There is near infinite leg room in row 1 on the CRJ700. I figure this is because of weight balance on regional jets. (How many times have you been moved pass row 8?) Another plus of the RJs is the vent duct that runs along the floor board. In UnitedFirst on explus it makes an excellent foot rest.

The seats have limited recline in UnitedFirst on the CRJ. I estimate 40 inches of pitch. The head rest on the CRJ is set very high compared to the standard UnitedFirst seats. Note that the windows in UnitedFirst are positioned horribly. The is a large blank in between the first window and second where the seat back is positioned. This is a major factor for me because there is no Ch.9 and I like to watch for landmarks to see where I'm at.

Storage on the CRJ is limited in the first two rows to one side of the aircraft. Of course, small carry-ons will only fit. Soft flexible carry-ons are better for these bins.

The service was outstanding considering how quickly the FAs needed to work. There was no special wines for UnitedFirst or warm nuts. Forget about getting a snack tray, you will probably receive whatever the snack packet is for the UX carrier (cheese planes). Plus, I noticed hand wipes in the carts, but these were never handed out. The service difference between Economy and First is the following: 1) Pre-flight beverage, 2) Serviced first, 3) Free alcohol, 4) Entire beverage served for canned drinks. It should be noted you do not get a FA for UnitedFirst only. After taking care of the First class pax the FAs worked together to cover the rest of the cabin.

Of course, if you are travelling in economy you are best seated in the exit row. The over head bins in economy are the standard fare for RJs.

Last edited by shortcut3d; Oct 10, 2005 at 9:24 pm
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Nice writeup, thanks. You might want to fix the typo you have...just what is a heat rest?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good writeup.

There is, however, a very similar thread on the topic:

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on the CRJ700
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:35 pm

Programs: Free Agent, Any Status is Accidental
Unfourtunatly I'm based in JAX, where all we get is UX service. I believe we lost our 737 ORD service in 2001(????). Anyways, the two destinations we get here are IAD and ORD- 1 hr. 54 min. to Dulles, 2 hr. 36 min. to O'Hare. The IAD flight is pretty easy to handle with a good book and an iPod, but the ORD flight was just short of torture! Than when the whole 'Explus' thing was launched JAX starting recieving CR7/ExPlus, and mann was that a godsend! I went on my first Explus JAX-ORD September 24th and was extremely impressed with the service. I'm also currently planning a trip to SFO in which I would take the CR7 out of JAX to ORD.

Thanks, United! Improving your service, one step at a time.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:40 pm

Also, for those of you wondering here is the "Snackbox" that is served in First on flights over two-and-a-half hours during meal times:

http://images14.fotki.com/v223/photo...ICT0048-vi.jpg

http://images15.fotki.com/v11/photos...ICT0047-vi.jpg

And my ExPlus CR7 a/c in JAX:

http://images12.fotki.com/v215/photo...ICT0046-vi.jpg
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1KUGS, AA Plat., SPG Plat., Hertz Five*
Originally Posted by UAalltheway
Unfourtunatly I'm based in JAX, where all we get is UX service. I believe we lost our 737 ORD service in 2001(????). Anyways, the two destinations we get here are IAD and ORD- 1 hr. 54 min. to Dulles, 2 hr. 36 min. to O'Hare. The IAD flight is pretty easy to handle with a good book and an iPod, but the ORD flight was just short of torture! Than when the whole 'Explus' thing was launched JAX starting recieving CR7/ExPlus, and mann was that a godsend! I went on my first Explus JAX-ORD September 24th and was extremely impressed with the service. I'm also currently planning a trip to SFO in which I would take the CR7 out of JAX to ORD.

Thanks, United! Improving your service, one step at a time.
The longest RJ flight I ever had, incidently was my first flight as a 1k, MKE to DEN. This was pure torture, but UA can't fly a 737 or larger on a flight with 20 people. The only thing explus should have added was Ch.9. Heck if they just piped it in on the PA I would be happy.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by shortcut3d
The longest RJ flight I ever had, incidently was my first flight as a 1k, MKE to DEN. This was pure torture, but UA can't fly a 737 or larger on a flight with 20 people. The only thing explus should have added was Ch.9. Heck if they just piped it in on the PA I would be happy.
Yea, our flights were only about 32 miles apart. Pretty painful when you see the DL 767 taxiing right in front of you for a 55 minute flight to ATL.

I've also been wondering about IFE in the CR7s. I think video would be too much, but audio service would be great (Ch. 9 included ). Does anyone know if this would be possible for UA? Are they looking into it?

Last edited by UAalltheway; Oct 10, 2005 at 10:12 pm
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The thread title is misleading. It's missing the only thing I want to know - when will it be offered OAK-LAX?
Old Oct 10, 2005, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Plat
Thanks for the pictures of the snack box UAalltheway. Unfortuantely the vast majority of my UX flights are on the ever pleasant -200 so I've never had the honor of being served a snack box.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The thread title is misleading. It's missing the only thing I want to know - when will it be offered OAK-LAX?
What's the flying time on OAK-LAX? It's listed as 1 hr. 19 min., so what- 55 minutes flying time usually? Still- it's relatively short. United's new "promise" guarantees either United Explus, Ted, or United mainline on ALL flights over two-and-a-half-hours.

Originally Posted by United Press Release
This redefined regional jet service also offers a brand promise -- that scheduled flights out of Chicago O'Hare International Airport longer than two-and-a-half hours (as well as select other flights) will be served by United® mainline, Tedsm or the new explus found on United Express.
http://www.united.com/press/detail/0...3112-1,00.html
Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1mm, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks shortcut3d for the info. I recently upgraded a flight ATL/NCE rt thinking I would only get ORD/LHR, LHR/ORD upgraded. I was pleasantly surprised to get ATL/ORD and ORD/ATL in first. I was not even aware that the RJs had a premium cabin. It seems that the luck of the draw gave me row 1 on the outbound but row 2 on the return.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA1K
the longest crj flight i have been on is iad-msp
that flight sucked cause if i remember it was 2 hours and 45 minutes
i can handle iad-tys cause that is just soooo nice
45 minutes!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.