Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United Express CRJ-700

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
The CRJ-700 is essentially a stretch CRJ-200 / CL-65.

FIRST CLASS CABIN
First Class is two rows of 1+2 seating. The lefthand side is A and the two righthand seats are D(Aisle) and F(Window). Seat width is given as 19". The paired seats have a wide armrest, but not as wide as that found on the domestic First seat. Probably an inch less or so, and no sculpted little "tray" for drinks.

Pitch is officially given as 37" and this looks to be about right for Row 2. Row 1 has about 40" or so.

There are overhead bins along the right side of the First Class cabin, and they are the same size as those on the CRJ-200. Anything bigger then a laptop bag/briefcase/purse will need to be gate checked.

ECONOMY CABIN
The seats are 2+2 and are covered in blue leather (or a reasonable facsimile thereof). E+ seating is rows 7-9 and row 18 and have 34 inch pitch. All other economy rows have 30" pitch.

Related thread
Heads Up: CR7 Configuration and Seatmap Changes
Print Wikipost

Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on a United Express CRJ-700

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2005, 10:59 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Does anyone have an update on how the 2 class configuration rollout is going? I am going to be on 3 Skywest CR7's next weekend (SFO-SNA, ORD-CVG, CVG-ORD) and are all on upgraded itineraries. The reservation agent didn't mention any upgrade possibilities on these - should I call back?

Or is it something completely unpredictable, and should I check again at the gate?

Last edited by VPescado; Feb 26, 2005 at 12:50 pm
Old Feb 26, 2005, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by VPescado
Does anyone have an update on how the 2 class configuration rollout is going?
Kai (UAX@SFO) did note that I think three Skywest planes are now F/E+/E- and where they were flying, but I don't recall the specifics.

When the Mesa planes first entered the system, ua.com's online upgrade system wouldn't show them as elligible for upgrade, so you had to talk to an agent to get an upgraded seat. So if you're upgrade requests were done on-line, I'd call UA and see if any of the flights have F or not.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 11:07 am
glg

Originally Posted by SEA_Tigger
Kai (UAX@SFO) did note that I think three Skywest planes are now F/E+/E- and where they were flying, but I don't recall the specifics.
My regular morning ORD-CMH is now Skywest CRJ-700 with the F/E+/E config. I was in row 4 E+ last week. Upgrade request didn't work online and I forgot to call in. It was cramped, but way better than a CRJ-200. I would prefer the ex-SHT 733 we used to get in E (exit window with the missing seat in front of me, of course). Got the request in for next week, worked online this time. We'll see how that works out.
Old Mar 2, 2005, 1:25 pm

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, LH M&M, Finnair Plus, SPG Preferred Plus
Because a fair amount of our aircraft are not yet configured with the 2.5 class layout yet, most SkyWest CR7 flights are still sold as all Y. The configuration change to the 2.5 class layout is done usually day-of-departure or the day before. So the only way that upgrades can be done on SkyWest flights that are not sold as 2-class aircraft right now (exceptions include SFO-AUS, which, among others, are sold as 2-class aircraft) is via ACI day-of-departure.

My best advice would be to check with the initial check-in agent (or even Mr./Ms. Easy). Day-of-departure you will notice a nifty upgrade button on the kiosks for your flights if the configuration change has been done.

If all else fails - check with the gate

We have an increasing amount of CR7's with the two-class layout, and our Y70 layouts are being reconfigured at approximately one per week. any registration of N715SK or higher almost definately is in a 2-class configuration, and the lower ones are being reconfigured currently

Happy Travels!
Kai
-----
The opinions expressed within these posts are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer, SkyWest Airlines, or those of our major partners, United Airlines or Delta Air Lines, respectively.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 11:23 am

Programs: DL, LH, Marriott
SkyWest CRJ-700: finding F and E+ a sure thing?

Hi all -

I'm tentatively excited to see SkyWest CRJ-700's replacing AWAC's CRJ-200's on their flights to/from ORD and BTV. Could someone please confirm that if I step onto ANY SkyWest CRJ-700 today, I'd find F and E+?

From yesterday's SL Tribune article:

"The Canadian-built CRJ 700 normally come with 70 seats. SkyWest began retrofitting United Express' 23 CRJ700s last winter, reducing the capacity to 66 passengers, but creating three classes: economy, "economy plus" and first class."

Thanks in advance for answers & comments -

- Ian (ian_btv)
Old Apr 8, 2005, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ian_btv
Could someone please confirm that if I step onto ANY SkyWest CRJ-700 today, I'd find F and E+?
Kai (UAX@SFO) has noted that conversions are in progress, and listed some of the routes he is familiar with them being on, but I don't believe he has noted the entire fleet has been converted, yet.

So best to check the seatmaps.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 12:16 pm
glg

And even then it's hardly a sure thing. They end up swapping planes too. I had an upgrade turn into not due to a swap (at least still got row 1.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by ian_btv
Hi all -

I'm tentatively excited to see SkyWest CRJ-700's replacing AWAC's CRJ-200's on their flights to/from ORD and BTV. Could someone please confirm that if I step onto ANY SkyWest CRJ-700 today, I'd find F and E+?
I could say that, but I would be lying

The retrofitting is actually progressing ahead of schedule. We have one, maybe two CRJ700 aircraft left in a full Y70 configuration (both with a N70xSK registration). So while I can't guarantee it, by the end of the month I can Also if you see a CRJ700 in the new paint scheme, it's 99.9% guaranteed it's got F/E+/Y. Your chances are quite small that you will receive a Y70 aircraft. If the flight is selling F, then chances are even that much better you'll receive a 2.5-class aircraft. I believe the ones left in Y70 are staying in the DEN/SFO markets anyways. And especially on a long route like ORD-BTV, the likelihood just keeps decreasing. Not completely, but unlikely.

Hope this helps, and enjoy the ride

Happy Travels!
Kai
-----
The opinions expressed within these posts are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my employer, SkyWest Airlines, or those of our major partners, United Airlines or Delta Air Lines, respectively.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL, LH, Marriott
Originally Posted by UAX@SFO
... We have one, maybe two CRJ700 aircraft left in a full Y70 configuration (both with a N70xSK registration) ... new paint scheme, it's 99.9% guaranteed it's got F/E+/Y ...
From the source! Thanks UAX@SFO, and thanks to others who responded. Seat maps all show F being available on these flights - looks good!

See you in a CRJ-700 soon, for sure!

- Ian (ianbtv)
Old Apr 15, 2005, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Do these new F/E+ configured CRJs offer meal service at appropriate times? More specifically, I'm interested in UX #6454 departing SFO at 11:30 a.m. and arriving SAT at 4:58 p.m. Is lunch served on that flight?

Also, Seatguru doesn't yet show the E+ section. What seats are in E+ and what's the pitch?

Finally, will there be any remaining non-F/E+ CRJ-700s by the end of this year? Or will they all be configured with F/E+?

Or is UX #6454 operated by one of the Embraer 170s? My travel will be on March 1, 2006, if that helps.

Last edited by cAAl; Apr 15, 2005 at 5:20 pm Reason: To ask about the likely equipment
Old Apr 15, 2005, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cAAl
Do these new F/E+ configured CRJs offer meal service at appropriate times?
CRJ-700s lack both ovens and (I believe) onboard refrigeration, so at best they can carry the TED snack boxes, but the galleys are small so don't bet on anything other then a couple packs of "Gourmet Snack Mix".

The EMB-170s do have ovens (evidently - not sure UAX is ordering them on theirs), but again, I doubt they will cater on them. They wouldn't cater a mainline flight of that length, probably, so they certainly won't an Express one.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 8:35 pm

Do these new F/E+ configured CRJs offer meal service at appropriate times? More specifically, I'm interested in UX #6454 departing SFO at 11:30 a.m. and arriving SAT at 4:58 p.m. Is lunch served on that flight?
Also, Seatguru doesn't yet show the E+ section. What seats are in E+ and what's the pitch?
Finally, will there be any remaining non-F/E+ CRJ-700s by the end of this year? Or will they all be configured with F/E+?
Or is UX #6454 operated by one of the Embraer 170s? My travel will be on March 1, 2006, if that helps.
A flight number in the 6000 series is operated by SkyWest Airlines. SFO-SAT is operated by a CRJ-700 with a F6/E+28/Y32 configuration.

There is no food served on board, just a drink service with Plane Cookies (delicious oatmeal cookies) or Plane Cheesy (plane shaped Goldfish crackers). First Class does receive a snack box on board, but highly recommended you carry something on board with you.

Economy Plus is rows 3-9. Seats 12B and 12C are also very nice exit row seats, but I highly recommend steering away from 12A or 12D. The seat cushions in those seats are slightly... odd, and are quite uncomfortable.

All of SkyWest's CRJ700 aircraft should be finished in reconfiguration by the end of this month. It may possibly be done already, but I can't say this for sure yet.

Happy Travels!
Kai
-----
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UAX@SFO
Economy Plus is rows 3-9. Seats 12B and 12C are also very nice exit row seats, but I highly recommend steering away from 12A or 12D. The seat cushions in those seats are slightly... odd, and are quite uncomfortable.
How does the legroom in E+ compare to the legroom in row 12? And is Row 3 a bulkhead with cutouts and/or better legroom than the rest of E+?

And is Channel 9 offered on these regional jets?

I'm debating about whether to take the nonstop UX regional jet from SFO-SAT on the back end of a business class award trip from Australia and New Zealand versus taking mainline flights from SFO-DEN and DEN-SAT. The mainline flights have poor connections with three hour layovers in both SFO and DEN and would get us back to SAT more than five hours later than the UX flight. On the bright side, they are mainline, we'd get fed on SFO-DEN, and we can get confirmed seats in business SFO-DEN and in first DEN-SAT. Meanwhile, although no first class seats have been claimed on the UX flight, there is presently no award availability so the best we could do is E+ or the exit row. Decisons, decisions . . .

Last edited by cAAl; Apr 15, 2005 at 9:24 pm
Old Apr 15, 2005, 9:46 pm

How does the legroom in E+ compare to the legroom in row 12? And is Row 3 a bulkhead with cutouts and/or better legroom than the rest of E+?

And is Channel 9 offered on these regional jets?
Legroom in row 12 is far superior to that of the Economy Plus section. Economy Plus is about 33-34" pitch, I would say Row 12 is about 42" or so.

Row 3 is a bulkhead, and does have better legroom than the rest of the Economy Plus cabin. They are no cutouts, just straight bulkhead. If you have 3AB, that's best. 3B is lucky in the way that the aisle of the aircraft makes a "turn" to line up with the middle of the aircraft as F is configured 1-2 and Y is configured 2-2. 3B then has the aisle directly in front of it to stretch out into.

I can understand feeling torn between staying on mainline or connecting to an Express flight, especially of such distance. You could also fly to AUS and drive, but if you're coming from Australia I really doubt you'd want to do that

No United Express flight at this time has any sort of "real" in-flight entertainment, so unfortunately no Channel 9.

I haven't been able to try out our CRJ700's yet, but I've heard good passenger feedback on them. Stage lengths like ORD-YEG and SFO-SAT are slightly "pushing it", but they're working out pretty well. The seats onboard SkyWest CR7's are brand new, and are actually quite comfortable and much different from the CRJ200 seats.

Happy Travels!
Kai
-----
Old Jul 20, 2005, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Is Skywest the only UX with the RJ700? Or did Mesa get some too?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.